Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph 955i purchase help

Guys/Gals

Hope this is the right spot for the post...
    I've found a Daytona 955 that I'm thinking of purchasing, pretty good nick and low KM. Am hoping someone on here can give me a hand test riding it. Basically I have no idea about the bike, apart from that they sound sweet, it fits me well and I love the look. Test riding it myself would be pointless (I did test one at a causeway dealer tho). I have no idea what problems feel/sound like, or how it should feel riding. Plus I am still on RE's so would be a bit nervous I think.

So this is call to arms for the trumpy faithful: I'm happy to pay for someone's time tomorrow or Saturday to take this thing for a sensible but spiritted test ride. Would be cool if someone has had this bike before, but anyone familiar with the brand would be much better than nothing.

PM me if your keen...

Originally posted by dnut View Post
    Guys/Gals

Hope this is the right spot for the post...
    I've found a Daytona 955 that I'm thinking of purchasing, pretty good nick and low KM. Am hoping someone on here can give me a hand test riding it. Basically I have no idea about the bike, apart from that they sound sweet, it fits me well and I love the look. Test riding it myself would be pointless (I did test one at a causeway dealer tho). I have no idea what problems feel/sound like, or how it should feel riding. Plus I am still on RE's so would be a bit nervous I think.

So this is call to arms for the trumpy faithful: I'm happy to pay for someone's time tomorrow or Saturday to take this thing for a sensible but spiritted test ride. Would be cool if someone has had this bike before, but anyone familiar with the brand would be much better than nothing.

PM me if your keen...
    I've got a 955i sprint, can give the Daytona a spin if you want. No promises that I could pick up problems with it though. I do know what the engine should sound like...a tractor.

Comment

The tractor sound is exactly what I'm after. Google reckons sprints have the same engine anyhow, so imagine there'd be similarity in the way it behaves. Not chasing a guarantee to pick up problems, more to look for any of the usual suspects which every brand has, such as rust in concealed spots, certain non obvious bits failing.

I'll PM you my phone number so we can sort out details.

heres the bike anyhow, if anyone else has any specific pointers for things to watch out for.. though web searches seem to bring back nothing scary

Used Motorcycles For Sale - Buy and Sell Used Motorcycles Australia - bikesales.com.au

Comment

awwwwwww another PSB hook up

Congrats

Dubs

Comment

wouldn't be a silver one in high wycombe area would it?? about a 00 model from memory.

Comment

Link he posted goes to a red '99
            Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
            1985 - 2009

Comment

oh I didn't see that ...

Just to give you another option my mate is selling his 955. about a 00 model. I think its carbied thought no FI ... would that be right taint??

Comment

Wiki says post-99 bikes were EFI
                Originally posted by Melkor
                The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

i'd say my mates is a 99 then ... i'm sure its carbied.

Comment

You sure it was a 955i? The T595 (1997) was a fuel-injected three-cylinder engine, so it looks like the carbs were done with as early as then.

Comment

you just said post 99 ... make up ur mind

Comment

Yeah cos I thought the T595 might have been carbied and EFI brought in for the 955i name change in 1999.

ORRIGHT SUNSHINE?!

Comment

maybe the 'i' implies web 2.0... like iSnack

Comment

Although the Daytona has the same size engine as the Sprint ST and the Sprint RS it is actually a different build, tuned more for top end power than the other two which are tuned for mid range torque.

The 955i Daytona was definitely EFI from 98 onwards (and I think even before this as the T595, but I am not certain). The Sprints didn't get EFI until 2002 when all the engines in the 955 range were updated.

I have never ridden a Daytona but I know someone who has owned both a Sprint ST and a Daytona. Overall he preferred the ST as he found that the Daytona needed to be ridden harder, if that makes sense. Maybe he was biased as he lost his licence on the Daytona!.

Whichever version you go for, the triple engine is a dream.

They are pretty robust, but a good service history would be a bonus, preferrably from JCS. The price on the linked bike seems about right, depending on the condition. I noticed he had a newer Sprint ST in the garage.

I am not sure I am enough of an expert to judge whether it is completely mechanically sound. For peace of mind I would suggest getting a mechanic to look at it.
                            Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                              The 955i Daytona was definitely EFI from 98 onwards (and I think even before this as the T595, but I am not certain).
                              Yep. EFI for the 1997 T595.

Comment

Working...
                              X