• Show
Clear All

• need a bit of help in choosing a bike

hey guys
    well firstly im getting my L's in about a week or two hopefully
    oh also i live in nsw, im 17, 6'1" tall and weigh 66kgs
    well i've been looking at 250's for around 2 months now
    im still confused as to what i should get
    i really love the look of the cbr250 and like the extra power, but at the same time its about 2k cheaper than a new ninja250 and about 20 years older.
    if they were both new and the same price, id definitely get a cbr but the 20 years makes a huge difference because i dont know jack shit about the mechanics of a bike and how to repair and mantain it and stuff
    i recently saw the megelli 250r and like the looks
    but its a new brand and not to mention its assembled in china, so my dads not so keen on it
    but i like it and its very reasonably priced

in short i just need help in choosing a 250 4 stroke bike
    please dont recommend a 650 or anything, because im only gonna use it for commuting and theres no point in going at 80ks an hour on a 600
    also, im looking for a bike with fairings, not a naked bike, i know i'll probably drop it, but im willing to pay that extra bit of money for the looks

so yeah help me out if you can
    thanks

If you buy a near new Ninja you will spend a your time riding...

If you buy a 20year old bike or a Chinese bike, you may spend a your time learning how to fix bikes...

Just a thought...

Comment

Don't go near the Magelli, same deal as for Hyosung, they're just not well sorted enough yet.

You have LAMS over there, yeah? I'd seriously be looking at one of the sporty 400cc bikes. They go well, you won't get bored as quickly, and being Japanese the reliability is better than others.

Otherwise something like a GS500 si slow and boring as hell, but you can't kill them
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Check out the two fiddy section a great write up there
        Master of the missed signals

Comment

Buy a 10yr old bike then and get some practice at riding and fixing
          Motorbikes run on fire and air. Its elemental -Matt Kelly

Comment

nah my dads definitely not keen on me getting anything over a 250 and nor am i
            besides i dont want a super fast(well atleast for a leaner) rvf400 or something
            coz 1. its more expensive than a new ninja
            2. it'll use more fuel
            3. im only using it for commuting and i dont think its worth the extra money

and yeah we do have lams here

thanks

Comment

What about close to new 2nd hand cb400. Naked, more power than a 250 but not stupidly so, won't grow out of it too quickly and good for commuting. I rekon they look pretty good to.

Comment

umm nah thanks
                dont like naked bikes at all
                id rather have a faired 250 than a naked 600
                just my personal preference

Comment

He wants it faired.

TBH there is a lot more choice out there, specially with lams, just narrowing down to a ninja or cbr seems a bit silly.

Comment

yeah your right
                    but then again, its not really such a broad range
                    like i dont want 2 strokes because i dont have the time or knowledge to maintain them
                    out of the 4 strokes, more than half of them look outdated or are naked
                    i was deciding between zx2r, cbr250, hyosung gt250r, ninja 250r, zzr 250, yamaha yzf r125, cbr 125 and a couple more

then i read many reviews about the gt250r and most of them recommended not to get it
                    the the cbr125 and yzf125 are quite underpowered and pretty small looking bikes
                    the zx2r is not so easy to find, and its like 22 years old
                    the zzr isnt that good looking either
                    i mean it has almost the same specs as a ninja 250 so id rather get the ninja coz of the better looks

Comment

If you are tossing up between those 2 then whey don't you get a ninja250r thats only a yr or two old rather than new. Find one with a couple of thousand km on it, save money on new and that will bring it more into the cbr250rr price bracket. If you can't do mechanical matinence or work yourself then buying a cbr can backfire if stuff is wrong with it. Anyways the 250r is much more comfortable as a commuter

Comment

Originally posted by viper33 View Post
                        i really love the look of the cbr250 and like the extra power, but at the same time its about 2k cheaper than a new ninja250 and about 20 years older.
                        if they were both new and the same price, id definitely get a cbr but the 20 years makes a huge difference because i dont know jack shit about the mechanics of a bike and how to repair and mantain it and stuff
                        You have prety much answered your own question here, get the Kwaka(never thought i would say that!)

Comment

yeah thanks for that
                          i'll probably end up getting a ninja
                          even though id much rather own a cbr but i probably wont be able to conduct all the repairs and maintainence and stuff

just out of curiousity how often and what parts do you need to repair/maintain on the cbr?

Comment

Originally posted by viper33 View Post
                            yeah thanks for that
                            i'll probably end up getting a ninja
                            even though id much rather own a cbr but i probably wont be able to conduct all the repairs and maintainence and stuff

just out of curiousity how often and what parts do you need to repair/maintain on the cbr?
                            Well depends on condition in which you brought it and how you maintain it.
                            Many things you might have to do, change clutch, sparkplugs, oil, bleed brakes, change rotors, adjust chain, flush coolants, brake pads etc. (This are consumables, things that need change periodically)

Not saying you have have to do all of them but you might.

To be honest with you, the beauty of getting a old bike is that fact that you have to do most repairs and learn from it. When I bought my ZZR I knew NOTHING about the bike. I Was forced to learn a lot of things and still do, love every bit of it.

I'm not saying buy a shit bike so you have to fix her up but don't be put off by mainteining you own bike, you don't want to be one of those guys that know nothing about their bikes or do you?

Comment

If you get a good mechanic to go right over it before you buy it, and it has been looked after, and is genuinely low k's, then there is no real reason that the cbr will need any more maintenence than a new ninja. give it a major service when you get it, then have it serviced regularly and it shouldnt give any dramas. They do seem to have problems with the carbs when they get old, someone on here thats had one should be able to fill you in on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X