replacement back protector insert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement back protector insert

Hey fellas I have a RST Rift leather jacket and it has a place for a back protector insert, at the moment it only has what can be described as crappy foam insert. I was wondering is it worth buying a replacement insert that will properly protect me. Will it make a difference and is it worth the money?

Official Site For RST Motorcycle Products. Pro series suits, leather suits, Textiles, gloves, helmets, boots more.
    Attached Files

Not worth it. Buy an actual back protector, one that goes around your waist/shoulders. They seem like they'd do much more for you.
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

You're better off with a stand-alone back protector, in my opinion
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

^wts
        Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Or is that just there to absorb moisture?

i dont really wanna wear a full on back protector, i just though that if its a safe easy upgrade

Comment

Draggin Jeans knox protector

Comment

I wear a back protector virtually every time I ride. It's inconvenient for about a week, then you get used to it. I sit in lectures and stuff at uni without taking it off.
              This one.
              When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

Never ride my bike without my Dainese back protector as well as my jacket. My DriRider insert is pretty crappy, so I am considering popping one of the Draggins ones instead, just to add a bit more padding.

A proper back protector is designed to stop your back from bending the wrong way and offer some protectio. Also a separate back protector is more likely to stay in place.
                [Y]

Comment

Do they go against the skin like a tshirt or over a tshirt?

Comment

T-shirt, back protector, jacket. It's got straps that go over the shoulder and then velcro around the waist to hold it on. I suppose you could wear it under your shirt if you wanted.
                    When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

I also have an RST jacket, and recently replaced the silly foam back padding with a Knox insert one like LowKey mentioned (although I bought mine directly from Knox UK- wish I'd seen that Draggin Aus stock them!).
                      Note that the replacement insert looks like it's just thick high-density foam, but from prodding mine it appears as though each rectangle has some kind of solid (?crushable under impact) structure inside it, all covered with high-density foam.

A full back protector will always be better than just the insert, obviously it covers more area and you can read the Knox website for the different specs on force absorbtion in the event of an impact.

However, the Knox insert is deffinitely a big step up from nothing, it's cheap, and very convienient because it fits exactly in the pocket of your jacket so it's no extra hassle to wear and you never forget it.

EDIT: After looking a little more on the Draggins site, I notice they only stock one size of Knox insert, whereas Knox UK has three sizes of the same thing. My RST jacket took the largest size perfectly, so if you decide to get one, best ring Draggin to make sure of the exact size they stock. My back protector + postage from UK cost about $50AUD total.
                      Last edited by Glider; 03-10-2009, 03:54 PM. Reason: more details

Comment

Yep, I've got a back protector. It'll shit you the first time you wear it, but you'll feel naked every other time you don't have it. Great, cheap and safer than foam.

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Comment

I use a dainese one, fits in the pocket, better than that knox piece of foam.
                          BACK SPACE G1-G2 - Motorbike - English

Comment

Not trying to start an arguement here, just pointing out that the Knox ones arent just foam, they contain polypropylene honeycomb cores under the outer layer of foam.

Knox Knox Advance X Part 65 Back Protector - Knox - Planet Knox Store

But yes, I agree that these do not offer the same protection as the more expensive full back protectors do... thats why this one only costs 15pounds against the Contours 100pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentry View Post
                              Yep, I've got a back protector. It'll shit you the first time you wear it, but you'll feel naked every other time you don't have it. Great, cheap and safer than foam.
                              ^^^ WHS - this one (Joe Rocket) is very comfy and rates well

Comment

Working...
                              X