Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Fit Advice Req.

Hey all,

Just chasing some other peoples experience with helmet fits. I'm looking at getting a Joe Rocket helmet, but haven't been able to find anyone in Perth that stocks them (I don't think anyone does). I'm told HJC manufacture the helmets for Joe Rocket so the fit should be pretty similar.

I tried on a HJC CL15 Draco today, nice helmet actually. And the small had a very nice, snug fit. Not much movement side to side around, and had a decent pressure against my cheeks.

My concern is how much stretch is to be expected. I also tried on the extra small but this had a bit too much pressure which I think after a period of time, in it's present state would be uncomfortable. Whereas currently, in it's present state, the small was comfortable as it was.

Should I go with the small, and live with the amount of stretch? Or go the extra small and hope that it loosens up enough?

How much would a helmet generally loosen up?

The guy I was speaking to in the store, Alex @ Rick Gill, was very helpful and leaned towards the small. He's an old workmate of a friend so I trust his opinion. But as always, opinions from others would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone is looking for accessories, I'd recommend going see him as his advice was very helpful.

I tried on a large HJC at Witch cycles and the attendant dude said that he didn't think I should get any bigger then that so I bought it, took it home and wore it a bit and it gave me a splitting headache and blurred my vision within one minute so I exchanged it for the XL and it fits perfectly. The point being don't just buy the smaller one because people say "buy a helmet that is as tight as can fit on your head" cos its bollocks.

In terms of the amount of stretch, I have had my HJC since Febuary and it has hardly stretched at all, maybe half a centimetre all around. It still feels nearly exactly the same as when I bought it. If your inclined to buy the smaller helmet then wear it around the shop for 5 minutes or so and make sure it isn't uncomfortably tight.
    Originally Posted by Maxo
    do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
    to Butters

Comment

When buying the helmet it should be a bit too tight, but not to the point that it causes you pain.

As for getting a good fit, short of getting a high end helmet with removable liners, it's generally down to luck to get a helmet off the shelf that actually fits nicely.

Comment

Good Helmets. Stick on a mohawk to make friends with WA's finest.
        Can you help with foster care?
        http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

At the end of the day, if you head is packed in the helmet so tight that the padding is pressed right down, there is little to no padding left to actually absorb impacts. I would say go for the small.

Comment

Cheers guys,
            Small it is!

Comment

Originally posted by polony View Post
              At the end of the day, if you head is packed in the helmet so tight that the padding is pressed right down, there is little to no padding left to actually absorb impacts. I would say go for the small.

FAIL

The padding is not what absorbs impacts, its the impact absorbing foam underneath.

It should not be uncomfortable, but it should be a firm fit. You should not have the helmet move if you shake your head.

If the small is plenty tight (it doesn't move about), and comfortable, go with that.
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                FAIL

The padding is not what absorbs impacts, its the impact absorbing foam underneath.

It should not be uncomfortable, but it should be a firm fit. You should not have the helmet move if you shake your head.

If the small is plenty tight (it doesn't move about), and comfortable, go with that.
                The outer shell spreads the impact over a greater surface area (thus reducing the overall impact per square cm), layer of foam as you said compresses to abosrb impact, and believe it or not, padding also absorbs some of the impact.

Comment

Working...
                X