Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aprilia RS-250

Hi all,
    Just have a few questions about the sexy RS-250 more specificly the 2003....

Don't know much about this bike (or any 2-stroke bikes) and wondering how it is in terms of reliability and maintenance compared to say a CBR or Ninja. Obviously its going to have higher running costs and depend on how its being treated but just after some more specific information.

Any owners or previous owners care to pass some advice or info?

Thanks.

Aprilia RS250 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

check the 2 stroke section, abundance of info in there
      Master of the missed signals

Comment

I owned the baby brother of the 250, the RS 125 (02 in my case). awesome bit of kit and definitely a bike I wouldn't mind taking for a spin again.

they do require a little more maintenance than your usual 4stroke. Im not mechanically minded by any stretch of the imagination, so I would recommend doing your reading before buying.

2 of the most regular things I attended to myself with the 125 was to top up the 2 stroke oil and to replace / clean the spark plugs when necessary.

Comment

my bro went from a cbr to rs 250 to an rsvr. He still says the rs 250 was his fave
          Posted via Mobile Device
          Spam

Comment

dont mean to put you on a downer but i have heard that 2-strokes take ALOT of maintenance and can need engine rebuilds every 10-15,000 K's, but hey thats just what i have heard.
            Our Father, Who art at Phillip Island, Hallowed be thy name
            Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
            In the backroads as it is on the freeway
            Give us this day our high-octane premium fuel
            And forgive us our lanesplitting
            As we forgive the four wheel drives, the volvos and the taxis
            And lead us not into gravel corners
            But deliver us from hand-held radars
            For thine is thy leather, thy denim, thy Gore-Tex and thy Kevlar
            Amen ORIGINAL POST BY DEB

Comment

They have the RGV motor and all the associated quirks.

The maintenance isn't THAT bad (no oil/oil filter changes other than the gearbox occasionally), you just need to actually do it.

Rebuilds are easy, they just happen more often than on a 4 stroke - but on the other hand, actually doing a top end (pistons/rings) is probably less work than doing valve clearances on a modern inline 4, assuming all the bolts don't round off, etc.

a shop will rape you ($$$) though - if you're not willing to do your own servicing, steer clear.
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

It will teach you a lot about being a mechanic.
                Lots.
                But in turn they are a brilliant little bike.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                  They have the RGV motor and all the associated quirks.

The maintenance isn't THAT bad (no oil/oil filter changes other than the gearbox occasionally), you just need to actually do it.

Rebuilds are easy, they just happen more often than on a 4 stroke - but on the other hand, actually doing a top end (pistons/rings) is probably less work than doing valve clearances on a modern inline 4, assuming all the bolts don't round off, etc.

a shop will rape you ($$$) though - if you're not willing to do your own servicing, steer clear.
                  Thanks guys for the info! Thro, How oftern and roughly how much would a rebuild on the vj22 be? I'm fine when it comes to servicing my car but I have very limited knowledge of bikes and have never rebuilt any motor. How hard is it?

Comment

RGV piston + rings rebuild (top end) is pretty basic and easy, assuming that nothing is seized.

In fact... see here:

www.rgv250.co.uk

I think from memory you can do a top end rebuild for about 600 bucks in parts (pistons, rings, gaskets, little end bearings) - assuming you haven't had a power valve failure and mashed a bore.

Then it gets more expensive... powervalves aren't cheap, and cylinders are about 650 bucks each.

But, assuming you keep an eye on the power valves and don't have a failure (go aftermarket centres) - its not really any more expensive than the major valve clearance service on a 4 stroke.

Daily running costs (fuel and oil) are the killer though - 9-11L/100km is pretty typical economy, and 2 stroke oil isn't cheap - go through maybe a litre every 4-5 tanks of fuel?

If you're keen on the RS, maybe check out TZRs as well, they don't have the power valve problems and the 3XV model is pretty sexy as well. Expect maintenance/economy to be pretty similar.... just no problem with power valve failure being pretty destructive...

edit:
                    as to how hard 2 stroke (RGV/RS) rebuilds are?

If you've got the manual and take your time (maybe get a mate to help/sanity check/moral support first time) - you could knock it off in a weekend if you've got the parts - including plenty of beer time.

If you know what you're doing and have done it before - assuming there are no seized bolts you could do it in about 4-6 hours by yourself I reckon...
                    Last edited by thro; 04-10-2009, 10:27 AM.
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

The key is your riding style.
                      Always being right up there in the rev range = lotsa maintance- part$.
                      (No different to a 4 stroker bye the way)
                      riding it 60-70 % of it's capabilities (and Yamaha's are real good in that department , Suzuki's are not so, due to the powerband/state of tune, it will be a much longer interval between servicing of the ring/piston replacement department.
                      And working on these machines is just so easy and simple.
                      Yamaha 2ma,Yamaha RZ350 are in my book the best compromise of having a fun road riding scratching machine and power/long life balance.

Comment

Thanks heaps for the info thro and jamathi, Seems to be more running costs than i expected. Ugh! Guess it will come down to the test ride.

Comment

test ride= SOLD

Comment

Also the aprilia's are a bit more tweaked than the RGV's, i would say with the higher compression its more likley to need a top end sooner.

Once you ride it you will be in love

Comment

Haha oh great. I could always just get rid of the girlfriend if it all gets too expensive

I guess i can justify it all by not having to pay for the wrx. Bike = less insurance, less running costs? and more fun. And then there's the fact that I dont have to give people lifts and be deso driver

I usually do pretty well at talking myself into bad ideas when it comes to money hehe.

Comment

Working...
                              X