Red Light Camera Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Light Camera Discussion

This has been provoked by this thread: Crash @ Intersection of Wanneroo Rd & Ocean Reaf Rd (car vs car) - Perth Street Bikes

And the comment from monsta:
    yeah, looks like someone ran a red light.
    shoud be a red light camera on every trafic light I reckon...
    Personally I don't see how a camera would have helped in this situation, they obviously don't act as a deterrent.

So what is the solution? Accept that traffic accidents will happen? Make the punishment fit the crime so people dare not run a red? The current system obviously does jack all at the moment.

Am I being cynical to think that the person who caused the accident will get off with nothing worse than a ticket for failing to give way?
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Surely dangerous driving causing death?
    Originally posted by Semi
    I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

I dont think you're being cynical Barfy - this is just how it is these days. In regard to the cameras, I'm another one who thinks that they should be everwhere. These days there doesn't seem to be many Perth motorists who pay heed to the amber light; instead of slowing for amber they speed up & try to beat the lights. Perhaps more cameras could get people thinking about it more.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

Perhaps better education of road users as to their rights when turning right and being forced to give way to a red-light runner.
        Originally posted by Melkor
        The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Camera on every light, publicity campaign (to TELL people there are actually cameras on every light) and severe penalties for running the red would be a start.

Seriously, I can think of no more dangerous and reckless driving offence than running the red (by running i mean blowing through not creeping through some stuck light at 2am after stopping and having it not change). I include DUI in my consideration of that statement, because red light runners often do it fully aware and conscious of what they are doing, DUI people are not in a normal, sound state of mind (hence, I don't consider them to be as "responsible" for their actions as someone in a sound state of mind. Don't get me wrong, DUI is still really bad, but they are impaired - red light runners of sound mind have no "excuse" other than arrogance/sheer disregard for theirs and other's safety).
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

If there was a camera at every lighted intersection then the evidence should be unequivocal, allowing for better application of the law on the red light runners! Doesn't even have to be the typical camera - even CCTV.
            And adjustment to the law, for the fact that running a red light has the potential to kill, maim etc Suggest upgrading of severity of the offence to dangerous driving. Because if you did run a light you either knew it and were gunning it throuh or you weren't paying attention to what was happeneing... either way is disregarding other road users and exposing them to danger.
            There needs to be some allowance for circumstance though - if you ride a CBR125 there's no way the light would trip for you... is that dangerous driving? Not in my book - it's poor design of the sensors.
            Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
            One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
            . .

Comment

I personally think red light cameras should automatically be installed at every single set of traffic lights. I also think the current penalty (?? $150) for going through a red is massively inadequate given the potential for carnage. People in Perth seem to have the same regard for all road rules - its only bad if you get caught.

I also think that we have too long between one direction going red and the other turning green. I think this creates a belief that if you are close to the red, you can make it through before the other traffic comes past. This is the wrong mentality. I think it would be better if there was very little time between changes, that way people would know that when your light goes red, cars with be coming the other way pretty much straight away. Of course implementing this would probably cause more accidents initially, but an extended education campaign might help there. Every single place in the world has shorter intervals than Perth.

Comment

Have you ever accidently run a light at all???

Or made a genuine mistake, ever?

Comment

Maybe improve the roads, speeds and flow of traffic so people dont get so pissed off and frustrated they resort to running reds.

I used to go from Karrinyup to Morley every morning. If I did the speed limit I would get every single light turning red just as I got to it. Yet if I nailed it I'd get mostly greens.
                  You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                    Don't get me wrong, DUI is still really bad, but they are impaired - red light runners of sound mind have no "excuse" other than arrogance/sheer disregard for theirs and other's safety).
                    DUI have no excuse either, you're pretty well aware that you are in an impaired state, and still get in a car? No Excuse there either. Both in the same bucket in my books (which are obviously not law books)
                    Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                    One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                    . .

Comment

^^ good idea in theory shmoo, but we need the eternity between changes for perth drivers to wake up and creep away at 5% throttle application and actually get more than 1-2 cars across at each light change.

i reckon the real solution is to design roads so we don't need them, as much as possible... roundabouts, slip lanes, etc. all lights do is disrupt traffic flow (thus causing more congestion, emissions, etc) and piss people off.

edit:
                      Jules - I'm sure we've all made mistakes, but the current enforcement (compared to other less dangerous offences) is bullshit. Running a red (without stopping - like you would if you "ran" a light that wouldn't change for your bike or whatever) should be at LEAST 6 points and $1000 fine. Its far more dangerous than say 45 over.
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Definitely make the punishment harsher. Make people responsible for their actions. The whole system is fucked at the moment unless you're speeding.
                        Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
                        For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                          Camera on every light, publicity campaign (to TELL people there are actually cameras on every light) and severe penalties for running the red would be a start.
                          It won't eliminate the offending.

The way to reduce death and serious injury from this type of offence is to educate road users.

When sitting at a red light, upon it turning to green do we blast blindly through the intersection? No, we have a fucking look.

When travelling in the left lane and wishing to change into the right lane, do we turn on the indicator and blindly merge across? No, we have a fucking look.

When sitting past the stop line waiting to turn right and upon seeing the signal turn to amber, do we blindly proceed into the intersection on the assumption that oncoming traffic will stop for that signal? No, we have a fucking look.

Rights at law are no indemnity against death.
                          Originally posted by Melkor
                          The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Or redesign the traffic flow?

Law Law Law, doesnt fix nothing...

No good penalising someone AFTER they have done it...

System needs to prevent them doing it in the first place..

Comment

Originally posted by The Saint View Post
                              It won't eliminate the offending.

The way to reduce death and serious injury from this type of offence is to educate road users.

When sitting at a red light, upon it turning to green do we blast blindly through the intersection? No, we have a fucking look.

When travelling in the left lane and wishing to change into the right lane, do we turn on the indicator and blindly merge across? No, we have a fucking look.

When sitting past the stop line waiting to turn right and upon seeing the signal turn to amber, do we blindly proceed into the intersection on the assumption that oncoming traffic will stop for that signal? No, we have a fucking look.

Rights at law are no indemnity against death.

In a utopian world, I agree with you.

But perth drivers do not, and I doubt ever will look in any of the scenarios you present above, regardless of any publicity campaign. If they start racking up $3000 in fines per week though, they'll soon change their behavior...

Comment

Working...
                              X