Leathers and Bali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leathers and Bali

I have been thinking about getting some leathers for a while (to be different to the textiles I already own) and his noodly goodness touched me through a FREE TICKET ALL EXPENSES PAID TRIP TO BALI! Alls I need is teh spending moneys

I have found in a couple of threads that people have had leathers made in Bali BUT have supplied their own kevlar thread. My questions:

1) Where do you get kevlar thread from?
    2) Is there anywhere decent in Bali that does bike leathers?
    3) is there anywhere in Bali that can do armoured leathers? if so do you have to supply said armour inserts or will they have something that meets minimum AU safety standards?
    4) is it worth saving my money and getting a decent set of armoured leathers is AUS?

Thanks,
    Ash
    Nothing wrong with a bit of chlorine in the gene pool.

Order offline in america, I am looking at a 2 pc alpine star leather suit for under $500 US.

They are helpful too, I have sent a few emails and they have got straight back to me, they are also PSB members.

I was in Bali about a month ago and I didnt find any. I did get a great normal leather jacket made though.
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

whered u get it made redfern? and for how much?
      im heading there in a couple of days and want to get a leather jacket made up but have no idea where or how much itll cost

also +1 for the questions ash asked. wouldnt mind getting some leathers made up
      There is no more time, even for cake. For you, the cake is over. You have reached the end of cake.

Comment

ditto heading there in a month... good questions!

Comment

Originally posted by Miss DeSade View Post
          I have been thinking about getting some leathers for a while (to be different to the textiles I already own) and his noodly goodness touched me through a FREE TICKET ALL EXPENSES PAID TRIP TO BALI! Alls I need is teh spending moneys

I have found in a couple of threads that people have had leathers made in Bali BUT have supplied their own kevlar thread. My questions:

1) Where do you get kevlar thread from?
          Any boatbuilders or composites supplier/workshop

2) Is there anywhere decent in Bali that does bike leathers?
          Probably, depending on what you consider 'decent' though. Can't imagine that they would offer top-notch protection (lack of research compared to big brands that invest time in safety and design)

3) is there anywhere in Bali that can do armoured leathers? if so do you have to supply said armour inserts or will they have something that meets minimum AU safety standards?
          Probably hard to find, I'm guessing the armour may not be in exactly the right spots as well... not really worth the effort and risk IMO

4) is it worth saving my money and getting a decent set of armoured leathers is AUS?
          YES, but just order them from overseas

Thanks,
          Ash

PS - make sure you write up a decent contract for them to sign

Comment

I'd go somewhere like wicked leather (in carousel), they will custom make a suit for under $600 or so. I'd trust this far more than something made by people who don't do it every day.
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Personally would'nt risk getting some done in Bali.

Either get some made locally or buy a reputable brand.
              Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Re: Leathers and Bali

Don't get your riding leathers in Bali
                A good tailor in Bali can sew anything, but they use soft leather

Get a normal leather jacket made in Bali for sure, but get riding leathers from the u.s. or .u.k. Or here in oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, Bali leather will look good until you go for a slide....

Comment

Yay PSB reunion in Bali.

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
                      Order offline in america, I am looking at a 2 pc alpine star leather suit for under $500 US.

They are helpful too, I have sent a few emails and they have got straight back to me, they are also PSB members.

I was in Bali about a month ago and I didnt find any. I did get a great normal leather jacket made though.
                      Sounds pretty cheap Know how much $$$ after postage and handling etc etc?

Comment

nah not yet.

By the way I am talking on special here, they normally retail for more than that but I have done a bit of looking in the past few days and its not to hard to find a suit for this price.
                        My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

I might have a unique perspective in that I have crashed at about 100 wearing a bali made jacket and pants. I got them made at Bali Soul, they were fantastic to deal with. Made them out of real cow leather rather than the goat that they tend to use for dress leather. All double stitching everywhere, extra leather where I requested (knees and elbows) fully padded and fully lined, exceptionally hot in summer but great piece of winter kit. All up it cost me less than $200, but that was five years ago now.

Anyway, damage to the leathers was minimal, I wore through the palm on my left glove, some abrasion marks on the leather, but it held up really well. Next time I would supply my own kevlar thread as the seam did come apart on my upper shoulder blade, not much, but if I had slid any further then it would have been a problem. I also didn't get them made to zip together, that's something I would do differently next time, I got a little bit of rash on my lower back (okay, okay, love handles).

I would trust them again, having said that I now ride in a one piece that I bought SH and it actually feels a shit load sturdier than my leathers, but it has got armor in it, so it should feel that way.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
                            I'd go somewhere like wicked leather (in carousel), they will custom make a suit for under $600 or so. I'd trust this far more than something made by people who don't do it every day.
                            is the wicked of a good quality; i have always been weary?
                            Last edited by bobinatcat; 08-10-2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I'd get a proper set - screw bali spec leathers.

Nothing against the bali clothing industry per-se, but i'm quite certain they just do not have the experience with seam construction designed to withstand sliding down the road.

There are a few big leather manufacturers that can't get that right...
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X