cager perception of splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cager perception of splitting

I know splitting has been discussed on here, whether its legal/illegal/good/bad/etc, but have had an interesting friday discussion where I work, which might be something to consider... These thoughts are from a generally sensible crowd of people - they are very safety oriented safety discussions/meetings/etc take up about 20% of the working week - be it work related or not.

The topic of lane splitting came up today, and I did a bit of a followup survey with about 300 people. I had a question whether they ride a bike, and if so excluded the numbers from the result

Is it legal (didn't bother distinguishing between stationary v moving traffic)
    90% of people thought it was illegal
    5% didn't know
    5% thought it was legal

Is it safe? (no grey area maybe option)
    100% no (not 1 person thought it was safe)

And some free comments, which summed up, basically read:
    It is unsafe and frustrating, because bikes are not very visible to start with, and when driving, people are also busy concentrating on not getting run into themselves. They are concentrating what is left and right of them. If they need to take evasive action, they dont expect to have someone in their lane. When they almost hit a bike who is splitting, it is a traumatic experience, as they do consciously understand that someone could be killed.

Myself, I know not to swerve in congestion to avoid collisions, but that behaviour has taken me a long time to learn

I did also raise one of (at least my own) main annoyances that people indicate only when changing lanes, if at all. This was generally accepted as bad behaviour, and something which should be changed... so hopefully a few hundred more cagers start to think about this.

We often hang shit on drivers, but none of the comments have been unreasonable, so personally I'll be taking these views into consideration more. Naturally everyone can make their own minds up though.

Hey you guys sound like a real exciting bunch of people. I bet your office Christmas parties are a blast.

you spend 20% of your working week discussing safety? If you guys are anything other than safety engineers, I am really concerned for your mental health.

Comment

I know, boring discussion... i just need to get through Friday though..

i don't work in the area directly. Just on a project here. These guys can have no booze within 24 hours of a shift ie. Nobody drinks at xmas party

and Pato, yes they do. HSE policy

Comment

Do these same people always cross the road at pedestrian crossings?
        User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

Don't personally care whether they think its legal, safe or whatever.

90% of cagers seem to think its fine to talk/sms while driving, not indicate, and generally drive like ass-hats anwyay, so I'll do what I think is best to keep myself safe...
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

It is unsafe and frustrating, because bikes are not very visible to start with, and when driving, people are also busy concentrating on not getting run into themselves. They are concentrating what is left and right of them. If they need to take evasive action, they dont expect to have someone in their lane. When they almost hit a bike who is splitting, it is a traumatic experience, as they do consciously understand that someone could be killed.
            For your next tea pary
            re: Stationary splitting.

Ask them why this is frustrating for them?

Comment

In all seriousness though, it just shows how badly a community education program is needed. Of course it wont happen, because the politicians hate splitting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                Ask them why this is frustrating for them?
                Jealousy... and general wanker-ism.

Same reason perth drivers can't merge. Its not that they can't, they just refuse to yield ground to enable traffic to flow unless FORCED to when they run out of road.
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

So cage drivers say: being aware of who is around me is too hard, I just concentrate on what is in front of me.

Is it any wonder we do whatever the hell we can to get the fuck away from them?
                  For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                  For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by shmoo View Post
                    In all seriousness though, it just shows how badly a community education program is needed. Of course it wont happen, because the politicians hate splitting too.
                    inside all the boring guff... that was kinda my point. Wasn't trying to defend mobile phones/sms'ing/non-indicating/whatever. Perhaps I'm brainwashed by the system which pays me, but I also think that the more people discuss the issue the more likely people are to change... If they just consider for a split second what you talk to them about while driving, that is a win.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                      90% of cagers seem to think its fine to talk/sms while driving, not indicate, and generally drive like ass-hats anwyay, so I'll do what I think is best to keep myself safe...

^^ exactly
                      Milk, milk, lemonade, round the corner Adelaide

Comment

8 hours a week in safety meetings? must be a very unsafe place to work if thats necessary. Does the hot tap have a 'caution hot' sign on it?

They don't seem to be the average sample of drivers..
                        They are concentrating what is left and right of them. If they need to take evasive action,
                        Sitting at the lights, I doubt they know what is what is left or right of them at all... evasive action in traffic ???? the most common accident in traffic congestion is running up the tail of the car in front.

Asked the same question to a non rider in the office, and his answer was better.
                        "I'f I have to sit in the traffic for ages, they friggin should have to as well, pricks"
                        Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

OP- I think that was a great. At least you managed to get 300 people to think about bikes. I bet when they drive home they will be thinking about bikes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                            8 hours a week in safety meetings? must be a very unsafe place to work if thats necessary. Does the hot tap have a 'caution hot' sign on it?
                            You think your taking the piss don't you.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I am going to take a guess and say you work at Woodside

I am a HSE advisor

Comment

Working...
                              X