VSR/ADR's and You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSR/ADR's and You

So the intention of this thread is to give us all as much information as possible regarding the ADR's (Australian Design Rules) and VSR (Vehicle Standards Regs) that the man will try to assfuck us with.

I just got off the phone with a dude out at Traffic Policy (olo) who basically pointed me in the direction of SLP, in particular this (look for Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Regulations 2002 and Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002)

That is the VSR.
    Basically it is the STATE version of the ADR here in WA.
    A cop can and will try to pineapple you over this.
    Also, there is no "My vehicle was built before 2002 when the VSR was written" type clause like in the ADR. Looks like you just have to comply with it or GTFO the road.
    More bad news is that ANY modification to your vehicle means that it doesn't comply with the VSR. So say you decide the big knobbly indicators would look a lot nicer if you replaced them with smaller LED ones, or you get a new slip-on exhaust or new rear-sets, you bike becomes non-compliant until you get a mod permit for it. Furthermore, and mods to the engine that affect power output (not sure if this extends to tuning as well) mean that you need an engineers cert to go with it to make sure your +2 engine of smiting won't escape the frame and go on a baby slaying rampage.
    So in summary the VSR exists only to fuck us in the ass with large pinapples (16-60PU type ass-fuckery) for riding a slightly non stock bike and not at all to safeguard us as riders and all other road users.

Then you also have the ADR that you need to comply with. Currently we're on the third edition which covers everything manufactured after July 1989. Suck shit piggy, my bikes an '88.
    This document lists which parts of the ADR bikes specifically have to comply with. What each of those sections mean can be found on the site further up... Remember that things arent always as they seem. Fender eliminators are accounted for under General Safety Requirements which has several different revisions depending on when your bike was made...

So watch out for this shit guys.
    We all know it is there, but I suggest that a lot of us don't realise fully how much shit there is to say what is or is not permissible on a bike, and certainly not in an easy to find location. Hopefully someone will sticky this and people can use it.

As I go through the mountain of crap, I'll try and quote anything I find relevant.

edit: So to have your ass made a little more unfuckable you need to fill out and get a mod permit made up. Apparently it costs about $20, but you do have to deal with DoT (You might remember them from such encounters as "the pain and inconvenience that is getting your license")...
    Last edited by browncow; 13-10-2009, 10:22 PM.
    c o o l s t o r y b r o

For example:
    Originally posted by Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002, Part 5
    27. Mudguards and spray suppression

(1) A vehicle must have firmly fitted a mudguard for each wheel or for adjacent wheels.

(2) However, subrule (1) does not apply to a vehicle if —
    (a) the construction or use of the vehicle makes the fitting of mudguards unnecessary or impracticable; or
    (b) the body or part of the body of the vehicle acts as a mudguard.

(3) A mudguard fitted to a vehicle with a GVM over 4.5 t must, when the wheels of the vehicle are in position to move straight ahead —
    (a) reduce the danger of a person contacting the moving wheels; and
    (b) for the rear wheels —
    (i) cover the overall tyre width of the wheel or wheels to which it is fitted; and
    (ii) be fitted so the height above ground level of the lowest edge of the rear of the mudguard is not
    over one-third of the horizontal distance between the edge and the centre of the rearmost axle.

(4) However, a mudguard may be up to —
    (a) 230 mm above ground level; or
    (b) on a vehicle built to be used off road — 300 mm above ground level.

(5) The outside of a rear mudguard, except a mudflap, of a vehicle that can be seen from the rear of the vehicle must be coloured white or silver if the vehicle —
    (a) is at least 2.2 m wide;
    (b) has a body the vertical measurement of which is under 300 mm at the rear, measured from the lowest point of the body above ground level to the highest point; and
    (c) is not fitted with rear marking plates in accordance with rule 113.

(6) For subrule (5)(a), the width of a vehicle is measured disregarding any anti-skid device mounted on wheels, central tyre inflation systems, lights, mirrors, reflectors, signalling devices and tyre pressure gauges.
    As you can see, there isn't a provision in the VSR that requires a mudguard that extends to 45 degrees. However, it must be at least 230mm abouve ground level on a roadbike or 300mm on a motard/roadtrail, etc..
    Having said that, there is subrule 2 which says you don't need one if "the construction or use of the vehicle makes the fitting of mudguards unnecessary or impracticable" But I'm assuming that is more for stock vehicles because as we all know if you modify you're vehicle you due in for an assfucking...
    Last edited by browncow; 13-10-2009, 06:45 PM.
    c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

So if I take my road trail over the pits shortly (which i intend to)
      It will not be passed unless it is all in original condition, or I have engineers approval?
      For example the exhaust?
      Originally posted by Desmogod
      Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

Technically yeah, you're meant to have a mod permit for everything you've changed on your vehicle, as far as I can tell. In practice though, as long as it isn't stupid loud, you'll probably be right.
        c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

So do you need a mod permit (and therefore need to pay 20 bucks) for each individual mod, or can you do them all at once?
          Originally posted by Dragunov-21
          If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

you will have trouble getting a permit for a bike. Reno Marchesi is THE man for this and he wouldn'tgive me one for the bike.

You only pay the one fee for a perhit and it doesn't matter how many mods you put on it.
            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

^WAS.

Yeah it's $19.20 and the permit allows you to list any and all mods you're planning. The thing is the judgement is made on whether the safety of the bike is not diminished, which if you put on a pipe or airfilter or anything, then you can be told that the engine has a greater power output, therefore needs an engineers certificate to say that the frame will handle it.

I can see the logic behind it (i.e. putting a brap brap in an MG midget would require a stronger engine cradle, etc) but the application is bullshit.
              c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

I wonder if you put a full system/filter/whatever on a gixxer 600, whether you could avoid the engineer bullshit as long as your power output didn't exceed that of the 750 (same frame).
                If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
                  I wonder if you put a full system/filter/whatever on a gixxer 600, whether you could avoid the engineer bullshit as long as your power output didn't exceed that of the 750 (same frame).
                  I had a similar thought pattern as well. ie: My bike is a 350, pretty sure the frame is the same as the 650, so should be ok?
                  Same idea behind changing a commodore from a v6 to a v8. The chassis etc is already designed and engineered to handle the v8, so it should be simpler.
                  Originally posted by Desmogod
                  Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

If you are given an approved permit, post it up here. I have tried several times and they said "we don't issue them for bikes"
                    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

So to take it back to what would appear to be the biggest issue here, who is it exactly that has to write up the certificate?

Can it be anyone with an Engineering degree? Or does it need to a mechanical/automotive engineer? Or do they need to have extra accreditation from somewhere?

Comment

Nice work so far Browncow

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
                          So to take it back to what would appear to be the biggest issue here, who is it exactly that has to write up the certificate?

Can it be anyone with an Engineering degree? Or does it need to a mechanical/automotive engineer? Or do they need to have extra accreditation from somewhere?
                          I think they have to be an engineer that is registered with DoT, but I couldn't find anything. I'll call DoT later on today..
                          Gav should totally do that, and then give PSBers bikes a shake and sign on the line which is dotted.
                          c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

brOWNCOW you are referring to the wrong section for the mudguard on a motorcycle which is where the 45 degree rule comes from, from memory it is section 209 or 299 or 199 of the road traffic (vehicle standards) regs, if I can be arsed, ill dig it out but if you search on here I have quoted it and analysed it before

Comment

This one? http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ee-rule-52750/
                              2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                              In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                              Amen, brother. Amen.
                              My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Working...
                              X