Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy/basic maintenance - like riding a different bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy/basic maintenance - like riding a different bike!

Got bored today, so spent my morning doing some stuff on the bike.

Oil change (and filter, cheers Polony) (Engine felt like it was operating more smoothly)
    Clutch adjustment (Gear changes are now far easier to do smoothly)
    Chain adjustment - from ~45mm play to the suggested 20mm (The "jolt" when cracking the throttle on/off is now gone, and gear changes are a lot smoother)
    Brake fluid change/bleed (Not a night/day difference, but easily noticeable and well worth it)
    Clean, and replacing the busted bits with new shiny bits. (Increased morale and self respect) ^_^

Overall, the bike is far smoother/nicer to ride, and I've learnt a bit in the process. Not including the busted headlight, total cost was 70 bucks for a bleed kit, oil, oil filter, brake fluid, degreaser and a couple of odd bits. Took me half a day, with zero experience and a little searching/youtubing.

I know it probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but I thought I'd post it anyway in case it gave anyone else who's never done it before the inclination to give it a shot - since the overall difference to the bike was pretty impressive, especially since it's only an '07 bike.
    Last edited by Dragunov-21; 22-10-2009, 04:03 PM.
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Did similar last weekend with my old man watching on to make sure I didn't fuck anything up and offering advice, was ridiculously proud afterwards - haha.

Comment

Make sure you're replacing the filters when you do the oil, unless you replace the oil as often as me. I swap it every 3k so only swap the filter every 6.

Comment

^ Yeah, forgot to put that in the list. I knew what I meant

^^I'm with you on the pride thing
        If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

lube the chain?

didn't realise this but it's meant to be done every 500 kms or so?

Comment

I used to do it once a week, now I do it whenever it looks dry, which I figure is a better way of doing it. Horses for courses.

I'd imagine it depends on what you use, as well. I use Inox, and it seems like I keep having do do it all the time. I should try some proper chain lube at some point.

Comment

Where is the best place to get those bits and pieces to work on bikes like bleed kits etc?
              Originally posted by timmay
              So UC bike spots people speeding, pulls out magnetic siren,
              and sticks it on his head?

Comment

Im so fucking confused now i dont no weather i want to get a ninja 250 or something bigger now fuck life Sorry for bad language im JUST SO FRUSTRATED
                you dont like it leave

UMAD BRAH??

Comment

Originally posted by FEARLEZ5 View Post
                  lube the chain?

didn't realise this but it's meant to be done every 500 kms or so?
                  I clean and lube my chain every weekend - during winter I would do it on wednesday or thursday as well.
                  "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

done mine the other day
                    oil oil filter
                    spark plugs ( pain in the ass as bolt on seat wouldnt come out so had to drill out bolt and replace bolt afterwards) freaking 2 hour job

lube chain and tighten chain
                    wash and clean bike and engine looking sweet now
                    I HAD A BREEZE UP MY SHORTS AND IT FELT LIKE CHRISTMAS!!

Comment

Originally posted by mint slice View Post
                      Where is the best place to get those bits and pieces to work on bikes like bleed kits etc?
                      Supercrap. I paid 20 bucks for the bleed kit. It's only worth about five if you make it yourself, but it's so much easier to just fork out, and when you do the job for the first time, you want it to be as easy and painless as possible.

Just something to note - get a small syringe (sans needle) to empty the brake fluid resevoir. It makes it quicker, easier, and you won't introduce any air into the lines.

If you're looking at doing it, I can point you in the direction of a video or two and a better explanation.

Comment

Working...
                      X