DIY legal proceedings :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY legal proceedings :D

I got into a bit of a bike accident about a week back & because of some vageries with the insurance they don't cover me.
    I was hoping to chase the person up for repairs to my bike, but incase they refuse I was thinking of getting a lawyer to help & maybe take them to court to recover damages.

Anyone have experience with this? Would it even be worth it for $2000 of damage?

*Edit*
    Just got advice to take it to court & represent myself, might look into that

cheers
    Last edited by FarkMark; 26-10-2009, 11:45 AM.

You have the persons details?

Get at least two quotes to repair.
    Just send them a letter of demand for $xxxx with copies of quotes attached. (look for 'letter of demand' templates on google)
    Go and make a traffic report / police statement asap.
    if they don't reply within 14 days, give them a call/another letter and start to think about taking them to court.

Comment

thanks stevo, that looks like the way to go atm.
      btw anyone know what cour costs are approximately?
      Last edited by FarkMark; 26-10-2009, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Small calims like this won't cost you a cent but you do all the work. Lawyers are scum and will charge you many times more than the damages. Do some research, sit in on similar procedings so you know how it works, and get your day in court.
        EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Not all lawyers are scum.
          We have one here on the forum who gives us volumes of (sometimes un appreciated) free advice.

He is a legend, both here and in real life.

Posted via Mobile Device
          sigpic

Comment

WxsS...

He is a top bloke...

Can ride a bit too...

Comment

Fine, "Most lawyers are scum".
              EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Originally posted by XSorXpire View Post
                free advice.

From a lawyer generally results in money for them down the track...

Comment

In that case I'll check my PM.

Nope, still no invoice.

Now to add something constructive back into this thread, perhaps MarkMark might be kind enough to report back in due course with a brief run down of his legal dealings, how it worked, what he would do differently next time, tips for young players, etc.

Best of luck MarkMark.
                  https://parodieslost.blog/

Comment

haha thanks Neil and Rick, Apathetic, I am really not that bad i have not charged a soul on here
                    Last edited by ButtNekid; 27-10-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

no worries deb. I'm trying to go through the Insurance Ombudsman. Maybe they can jump up & down on the insurance companies backs.

If that fails, I'm gonna try settle the bill with the person. Then comes the formal letter of demand, possibly followed by the Majistrates court. (which according to their web site, should cost around the 180 mark). Won't say too much else here in case it comes back to me during this dispute.

ah wells, if nothing else, least this is an interesting ride XD

Comment

Insurance Ombudsman

then

I took someone to the "Small Claims Tribunal" almost a decade ago, with a very good result (all vehicle repairs paid for, expenses and interest). Lawyers can not get involved in the SCT either from what I remember, which keeps costs down.

If it is more than a few grand, get some professional advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
                          Fine, "Most lawyers are scum".
                          err, maybe "some lawyers are scum"? Mine's XL and I know one that's a hottie!

but.. OP, you can do this yourself if u r sure of facts and costs are small. Screw up and costs are...
                          The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                            err, maybe "some lawyers are scum"? Mine's XL and I know one that's a hottie!

but.. OP, you can do this yourself if u r sure of facts and costs are small. Screw up and costs are...
                            I'm gonna file this as a "small claims" in the magistrates court. If i bugger it up I'll just have to cover the court costs myself. Legal representation isn't allowed with small claims, so I don't think theres too much to lose

Comment

Re: DIY legal proceedings

Not commercially realistic for $2k claim.

Go the small claims route. Very economical option.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Working...
                              X