Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit 1250 modifications update.....

To all the Bandit owners out there, Hi.

The last couple of days have been fruitful as far as work to the bike goes.

As with Reddog's, a K&N filter has been added as well as the mod to the top cover of the air-box.

Removed the hoses from the P.A.I.R valve assembly and blocked them off with appropriate heater-hose, the dodgy bolt in the end and hose clamps. Taped off the solenoid outlets and left plugged in and cable-tied to frame. Also blocked off the outlet from the air-box.

Removed the secondary butterflies. Used a soldering iron to heat the rod/linkage that the butterflies are affixed to as there is locktite on the thread of the tiny screws. Dare say a butane torch-type soldering iron would get more heat in and quicker. Also bought a brand new mini phillips screwdriver, as not wanting to round out the screw-heads.

Fitted a 46 tooth rear sprocket and it still provides the ability to adjust the chain. moved the back wheel forward about 10mm but couldn't notice any significant change to handling.

Even though it has been mentioned that there is no particular HP advantage with removal of the pair valve it has smoothed out deceleration to the point of no popping what so ever. Very smooth indeed.

And as far as better pick-up and top-end speed, power delivery is a little stronger but good in not being break-neck type. One particular stretch of road has previously provided safe testing to wind it out to top around the 242-5kmh/r. Yesterday, however, while on that lovely, straight, no side-streeted, clear viewed, country road i checked the speedo before backing off for the bridge and noticed the indicated 270kmh/hr, basically i ran out of road.

This is still with the PC3 settings un-adjusted from the first tune.

Am currently looking into Supertrapp mufflers. Figured the ability to adjust the muffler output through adding/removing discs is worth considering, especially at around the $300.00 mark.

Will re-tune on the dyno once the yay-nay decision on the exhaust. Should then be ready to punt it down the 1/4 mile. Not bad for an "old man's" bike

P.S Check out a site called Two Wheeled Texans. Just like this site and has a dedicated Bandit sub-thread section. There is a good touring screen mentioned on there, amongst other things, just can't rememeber the name.

And BIKE magazine September edition (UK) has a write-up with the new bandit GT against the kwaka 1400gtr. they cant seem to justify the extra $au10,000 for the kwaka and the new zook GT has factory top box and panniers
    Last edited by ohmyfj55; 26-10-2009, 03:41 PM.

I dropped a tooth on the front instead of adding to the back. Makes the bikes bottom end work well.

When the bike goes for it's 24K service the secondaries are getting removed too. Will be tossing the PAIR system as well.

I have a speedohealer on my bike, it now stops around the 240kph mark, not that you ever really get to ride at that speed for extended period s of time though.

I'm on Two wheeled texans with the same username btw.

Comment

Goodstuff. An aftermarket exhaust will make a difference, to gas flow, weight (the OE one weighs a ton) and off course noise. I have left mine pretty much standard apart from a PC3 and Staintune can (plus the mandatory Radguard and simple friction cruise control). One *mod* I can recommend is sports rubber. After a few sets of S/T rubber I decided to throw on a set of Pilot Powers on the old girl. Be prepared for some laughs and worn pegs/sliders and the Bandit feels very happy cranked over on sports rubber.

If I feel a real need for speed - I just wheel the gixxer out!
      Christie. 1972-2012. RIP my dear friend. Never forgotten.

Comment

I took my gps for a run on my Bandit yesterday to check the accuacy of the speedo and found it was about 8 kmh optimistic (when I was doing 110kmh the speedo said 118kmh).
        I'd imagine that the faster you go the more out the speedo is.
        I guess thats why youve got a speedohealer on your bike Reddog.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitey1 View Post
          I took my gps for a run on my Bandit yesterday to check the accuacy of the speedo and found it was about 8 kmh optimistic (when I was doing 110kmh the speedo said 118kmh).
          I'd imagine that the faster you go the more out the speedo is.
          I guess thats why youve got a speedohealer on your bike Reddog.
          Deliberate factory inaccuracy to reduce fines apparently. Most if not all vehicles have it. Speedo healer will fix this, but most use speedo healers when they start changing sprocket settings, etc.

Comment

Thanks for the tips regarding the speedohealer, was aware of yours Reddog and will check it out.

Comment

HI fellow Bandit heads,

I have finally finished my Bandit mods and have ridden it to Sydney [via the Alpine Way] which is where I am writing this.

I think I got a bit carried away but here is the list .........

Rebuilt forks with heavier oil
              Raised back end 20mm
              Sargeant seat
              Renthal low bend handlebars
              Barkbuster bar ends
              Pazzo levers
              Warp speed rad guard
              Laminar lip [screen extension]
              Complete set of braided lines
              EBC HH brake pads [Fuck what a difference they make]
              Arrow headers
              Yoshimura muffler
              Dale Walker computer
              Dale Walker O2 bypass
              Timing Retard eliminator
              Removed secondary butterflies
              K&N air filter
              Removed air box lid

I cannot believe how much harder the thing goes. Not only is there a huge horsepower increase, but the torque curve is dramaticaly improved from idle all way to red line.
              When I get back at the end of January, I am going to organise an overnighter to Bridgetown, will let you all know.

I also have a set of still in the box Arrow headers for sale, any slip on will bolt straight up to them. Retail is $995 so I was thinking for about $800 they could find a new home, so let me know if you are interested.

Regards buelllord
              Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

Hmm... will see if my wife will lend me the funds Buellord. Will get back to you on it.

Keep us all updated on the overnighter and I'll post on the other sites I am a member on to see if there is any interest.

Comment

Originally posted by reddog View Post
                  Hmm... will see if my wife will lend me the funds Buellord. Will get back to you on it.

Keep us all updated on the overnighter and I'll post on the other sites I am a member on to see if there is any interest.
                  Thanks mate .............

After riding the snowy mountains, I dont think I will ever be happy again on WA roads.

buelllord
                  Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

So how does the lifted rear end go with turn in?

I can understand what you mean. But down south the roads aren't too bad

Comment

Arrow headers...yippee

Hi Buelllord,

If it is a spare set of Arrow headers to suit the white 1250s in the garage then yes.....would be most interested, have since been researching Arrow over here and Akrapovic, with Akrapovic not wanting to seperate the system and sell me $2300.00 worth of complete system..ouch.

Very proud of your efforts to Sydney, you're not thinking adding another couple of thousand to Airlie Beach by any chance.

Was actually just in Victoria for Melbourne and some of the high country, Beechworth, Blight etc. Have to say, some magnificent riding around through all there, pity i was in my sister-in-laws car.

Will try to get tomorrow/Wednesday re the headers. keen yes.

Regards,
                      Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by ohmyfj55 View Post
                        Hi Buelllord,

If it is a spare set of Arrow headers to suit the white 1250s in the garage then yes.....would be most interested, have since been researching Arrow over here and Akrapovic, with Akrapovic not wanting to seperate the system and sell me $2300.00 worth of complete system..ouch.

Very proud of your efforts to Sydney, you're not thinking adding another couple of thousand to Airlie Beach by any chance.

Was actually just in Victoria for Melbourne and some of the high country, Beechworth, Blight etc. Have to say, some magnificent riding around through all there, pity i was in my sister-in-laws car.

Will try to get tomorrow/Wednesday re the headers. keen yes.

Regards,
                        Nathan

Nathan, the headers are sensational, they remove about 8kg, add about 10hp, add 5db [it is a gorgeous note] and look fantastic and will bolt up to any slip on. They owe me $796.00 so give me a call if you want them. The quality is superb, all the joints are clearance fit and I dont know how they can produce such close tollerance in the sliding parts. The Suzuki oil filter tool will no longer fit, but I got a oil filter remover which consists of a socket extension with a strap built in from Supercheap, and that works a treat.

And no, I am not heading up to Airlie Beach unfortunately. I have previously spent time in north Queensland and love it.

Mant years ago when I was a lot younger, I used to test bikes for Two Wheels Magazine and one of the trips they sent me on was Sydney to the Tip of Cape York [Bamaga] 8,500kms in 3.5 weeks. Back then there was no ferry across the Jardine River [croc infested] and we had to swim the bikes on truck tubes across the river. I will admit to shitting myself but obviously we made it. I will stop there as this is a long story and would love to tell it one day.

Regards buelllord from Sydney ................

Comment

Hi Buelllord,

Had to go to the local library for the internet, the home computer crashed. My number is 0407 733 414 or home is 07 49 45 5895. You can ring in the afternoons from 5pm.

bit hard to check emails each day, sorry.

regards,
                          Nathan.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nathan,

I am on my way back to Perth at the moment, I am at Port Augusta tonight, Perth on Wednesday. Then when I get back to Perth, my lady wants to go down south for a few days. So it is an oil change Thursday morning before getting back on the bike for another 1000kms, lucky it is comfortable.

I will be in touch sometime next week.

Regards buelllord ............................................

Comment

hey boys i got a PAIR removal kit from TPO on Ebay usa for my bandit1250. Delived for under $40au
                              Comes with 2 aluminum block-off plates Looks really neat, the caps & screws.
                              TPO Parts
                              REARDO: SUZUKI BANDIT 1250 SA

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38

Comment

Working...
                              X