Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on the auctions

Hi all,

I found this online and was thinking about going down and checking it out. I like the look of the GSXR and the Nija.

https://www.manheimfowles.com.au/fin...?sale_id=96536

Was looking for advice on the following:
    1) What would they go for at auction (what's a good price to pay)
    2) What to look for that may be hidden in a bike accident (i.e it looks superficial but could be fucked)
    3) Has anyone had good/bad experiences with salvage

I need a 250 for my first bike and thought it would be cool to have a project, the Kawasaki EX250H might be a goer for that.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Frank
    Last edited by Cranky Franky; 28-10-2009, 01:31 PM.

if you are in Sydney, try these people, they are in Castle Hill.
    MOTORCYCLE DISPOSALS HOME PAGE
    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Thanks Arwon, will peep them out.

Comment

Prices range depending on engine capacity and extent of damage. be aware that you may be purchasing a seized engine, they wont start them for you.

From what i saw in the 250 sizes there are a lot of dealers who like to fix up and sell repaired bikes cheap if their second hand stocks are low. (in the car business its known as a "bog and flog")
        Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
        Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Wednesday 4th of November. Pickles welshpool damaged bike auction. Lots of good bits and pieces.
          Search Results - Pickles Auctions Australia

Head to the end of the listing we got some photos up. The ktm 950 is very nice, straight and rides well.

[I posted link as last page.. few bikes on page 6 too] -Ed
          Gettin' my lean on.

Computer games don't affect kids;
          I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms munching magic pills, listening to repetitive electronic music.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky Franky View Post
            Was looking for advice on the following:
            1) What would they go for at auction (what's a good price to pay)
            2) What to look for that may be hidden in a bike accident (i.e it looks superficial but could be fucked)
            3) Has anyone had good/bad experiences with salvage
            Check for small dents in the frame. Check to see all compliance/build tags are intact and matching numbers, if not check with DPI to make sure you can still register it.
            Keep in mind you dont know if they run or not! Its a gamble, but there is always big dollars to save at these auctions.
            Gettin' my lean on.

I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around darkened rooms munching magic pills, listening to repetitive electronic music.

Comment

How can something be a write-off, yet repairable? I thought they were mutually exclusive? Or does write-off refer to it being not economically viable for repair?
              Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon! Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoo View Post
                How can something be a write-off, yet repairable? I thought they were mutually exclusive? Or does write-off refer to it being not economically viable for repair?
                pretty much.

there are 2 types of write off, one which is repairable and non-repairable (which means it can never be reg again)

Comment

Cranky,

I have had some really good experiences with auctions.
                  Set yourself a price that you wont go over...... And dont go over it.
                  You can usually tell how bad the damage is by looking at them, I would stay away from something with major front end damage as forks and dashes can be expensive.
                  Also make sure that the bikes have keys as these can also be expensive to replace if the bike has a HISS (or equivalent) system.
                  Have a look at the bikes you are interested in and then get a quote on replacement parts.
                  Allow $ for vehicle transfer, rego and auction house fees.
                  Don't be afraid to buy interstate and ship (or ride) it back. Bikes Only are a great courier.

I have bought 5 bikes on auctions and the only downside i have had from them is one bike (dirt bike) was missing a foot peg and a petrol cap when it arrived from Syd.

Let me know if you need anymore info and will see what else i can think of. Also what are you looking for and what budget do you have to work with?

Edit: 3 bikes to look at if you are looking for a 600

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/vehic...124521/lotid-0

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/vehic...034384/lotid-0

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/vehic...otid-852053250

Anyone on here know who owend the Ten Kate or the ZX-6 from Forrestfield?
                  Last edited by Waikikablukar; 31-10-2009, 06:41 AM.
                  Men have motorcycles while women have menstrual cycles, you can't talk to either while they are on it. The women's also has a sound, it goes nag-na-nag-nag-nag, biiiiiitch-bitch-biiiiiiiitch!

Comment

Originally posted by Waikikamucau View Post
                    Anyone on here know who owend the Ten Kate or the ZX-6 from Forrestfield?

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but if the ZX is the one im thinking of it was sitting at causeway for aeons on finance and the guy just never came back in to pay it off, so the finance company swung it over to us. Its quite nice, not a scratch on it.

Damaged bike auction is on at pickles welshpool tommorrow, few nice triumphs (1050 triple, daytona and bonne). Come down and check it out if your after parts or track bikes, or even if you wish to fix and reregister
                    Gettin' my lean on.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoo View Post
                      The deal is that the insurance company has to repair the bike to original specification using original parts. OEM parts (especially fairings) are expensive and once it all adds up, the insurance company is better off trying to flog the bike off at auction rather than fix it.
                      Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                      Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Yeah exactly, If it costs more than 80% of what its insured for to fix using brand new genuine parts, its a write off.
                        Gettin' my lean on.

Comment

I am going to have a bid on the Daytona. Do you work at welshpool lee?

Comment

Good to meet you lee and thanks for the info.

The Daytona was actually worse than it looked. The lock stop had been snapped off and the upper fork tube had hit the frame hard enough to dent the fork tube. The corner of the tank and been crease, and folded flat like a seam, then ground. I think a new tank was needed + air intake, dash/fairing bracket, instruments + dented rear wheel + other stuff. It was referred at $4250. Too much money for me given the possibility of a bent frame.

Comment

My cbr will be coming up at pickles i think very soon. Next auction probes. Give it a look its a 1989 cbr250r with a buggerd left fairing. quoted like $3000 to fix but with ebay and two wheel wreckers proberly be about $500 if you fixed it yourself
                              If its got wheels or tits, you know it's gonna be trouble. ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X