Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Radiator Guard

Measurements suits years 98-11 R1, use the same principle on other bikes
    Set me back only $23, $10 for the mesh (flyscreen place) and $13 for the edging

Step 1
    Measure Radiator length and width, with a bendable measuring tape (if it has a bend) add an extra half a cm for cable tying ease

Step2
    Buy some stainless heavy duty mesh from a flyscreen/security door place (enough for two just incase)

Step 3
    Buy some edging from Clark rubber (2m)

Step 4
    Remove side fairings

Step 5
    Cut Mesh to length (not taken account for edging)

Step 6
    Drill Holes 6mm (Measure taken directly below/above rad supports)
    Measurements not taken account for edging

Step 7
    Add rubber edging, like pics before
    (Rubber edging has metal strips inside that grab the mesh, no need for glue)

Step 8
    Cable tie to radiator supports

Step 9
    Put the fairings back on, have a beer / enjoy saving $180

Last edited by Halo_2; 16-05-2011, 10:19 AM.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

what about 4 small nuts and bolts on each corner,loop some fine wire thru them and use the rad mounting bolts/washers as fixing points?

easier to undo and clean if needed!

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Pics not working?

Comment

Fixed

Comment

mm I'd rather spend the $150-80 have it deleivered to my door, no faffing around and enjoy the feet up with a squash while you're still building it, nice though

Comment

Nice work Halo, thanks for the up

Dubs

Comment

Nice idea, Im looking to do the same for my bike. Some pics still dont work, cant you just use the add picture button instead of the link button. The holes seem small, how have you found it in regard to effecting the cooling of your bike? Is it running a little hotter?
              Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

I had a warp speed (similiar) on my other r1 did 80,000ks no worries
                Last edited by Halo_2; 12-05-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
                  The holes seem small, how have you found it in regard to effecting the cooling of your bike? Is it running a little hotter?
                  the SS wire doesnt seem to affect air flow significantly, which is why i swapped to this mesh.

before this guard i used a different mesh (painted mild steel punch plate) and it made the bike run hotter sitting at lights noting this bike doesnt run a fan.
                  Originally posted by Bendito
                  If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                    Measurements suits years 98-11 R1, use the same principle on other bikes
                    Set me back only $23, $10 for the mesh (flyscreen place) and $13 for the edging

Step 1
                    Measure Radiator length and width, with a bendable measuring tape (if its has a bend) add an extra half a cm for cable tying ease

Step2
                    Buy some stainless heavy duty mesh from a flyscreen/security place (enough for two just incase)

Step 3
                    Buy some edging from Clark rubber (2m)

Step 4
                    Remove side fairings

Step 5
                    Cut Mesh to length (not taken account for edging)

Step 6
                    Drill Holes 6mm (Measure taken directly below/above rad supports
                    Measurements not taken account for edging

Step 7
                    Add rubber edging, like pics before
                    (Rubber edging has metal strips inside that grab the mesh, no need for glue)

Step 8
                    Cable tie to radiator supports

Step 9
                    Put the fairings back on, have a beer / enjoy saving $180

Just quoted for images, they were still not working for me. Looks good! Might actually have a go at this.
                    Originally posted by JIM.55
                    knowlage dosnt always trumph

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                      mm I'd rather spend the $150-80 have it deleivered to my door, no faffing around and enjoy the feet up with a squash while you're still building it, nice though
                      Have you considered how long you have too work to earn $180?? Great write up for an easy way to save some dosh.

Comment

yeah but some rad guards can be pretty cheap, great idea i looked at doing it on my old bike. might do it on the trumpy..

Comment

Cheapest guards ive seen are cox guards from usa are about $100 landed here, aluminium mesh though.

Comment

Supacheap have some soft aluminium mesh, it's not as durable as that stuff, but if you install it offset from your radiator it ought to be able to catch some decent sized stones.

$29.99 for a 1200mm x 280mm sheet of the stuff
                            Silver mesh, Black mesh, Blue mesh, Red mesh.

Comment

The way i look at is, if rocks can puncture ali rad then more than likely will go through the ali mesh guard too

Comment

Working...
                              X