Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be a good Pillion to New/Different Riders

Hello PSB,
    I thought I'd start up a thread on an actual motorbike topic! (gasp)
    I've been riding pillion for about 5 years now (even longer I think) on a few different bikes from Cafe Racers, to Cruisers to Sports Bikes and Tourers....
    I've been on with people with little to no pillion experience and found sometimes good ways to make them comfortable- along with yourself!
    The majority of people I ride with have pillion experience...but I've been on a few bikes with people that've only been solo.

First thing to do is to always make sure you feel comfortable with the rider first, don't go jumping on Jim-Bob or Mary-Ellen's bike at the drop of the hat. If your not comfortable... get off.
    Next thing to do is to try and mimic the riders position whilst being comfortable yourself (So you don't move around) this will be the best thing for the rider and most of the time- best for you so you get a nice wind-breaker in front of you
    Try and make sure you don't move around too much.... and don't go leaning into corners with the rider...just stay in the same position. (until you get confident- then do what you want...)
    Keep your hands on their waist, hips, wrapped around tummy, even tucking your hands under they're belt is good enough (Belt position is also good for lane filtering- when I've lost my feet of the pegs when I first started!)- so they know your there! (They won't feel you there if your a good pillion!)
    Another thing is not to put your weight on the rider if they're braking. I used to brace myself using the riders lower back on his sports bike because of my position- but it killed his arms! If this is the case- try and use the pillion bars if the bike has them, or your legs if you can.
    If you feel uncomfortable or need to move, tap the shoulder of the rider or give some signal...so that you can move without them going "Holy Crap! What's going on back there!" another good thing is doing it stationary at the lights. I normally stand up off the bike and give my bum a wriggle or my legs and stretch. (only when there is time- otherwise utilise when the bike needs a re-fill)
    You know your a good pillion when the rider can't really feel a difference.
    I don't want to blow my own horn- but I've been on the back with various riders and been told every time I've been an excellent pillion- sometimes the best. (one of the few things I'm good at it seems!) I've always been told to "Stay Still!"
    Happy riding- I hope this helps!
    Please feel free to add anything else I've missed or done wrong
    Twigs^_^
    Twigs
    Inactive Member
    Last edited by Twigs; 22-05-2011, 10:14 PM.

>waits<
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Sorry Falcon....
      For the two things wrong:
      - Leaning with the rider: What I meant was don't go stupid lean like I first did as a pillion (I got in a far bit of trouble for that....). just mimic what the rider does...
      - Adjustments at Lights: Only with the ok from the rider through the language you speak (Helmet Language) Otherwise, hold on a few minutes until pit stop...
      Edit: Just found this on ASB:
      "Same goes for corners, they may want to try and help you as the rider by leaning the other way through corners to try and compensate, this is extremely unsafe. The pillion should not move his/her body. When the pillion and rider are against one another with the pillions arms around the drivers waist or on the tank - the two bodies will tend to naturally lean together through corners."

Comment

Advice for a new pillion;

Ask the rider for instructions, as everyone is different.

edit;
        One rider may tap your leg twice to let you know its front wheel up shortly.
        Another may tap your leg twice as an intention to spread em later tonight.
        darkfibre
        Last edited by darkfibre; 22-05-2011, 10:28 PM.
        Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Ok...well. I failed at trying to make an informative thread...*FFS*

Comment

Informative I meant, now I know what to do when I'm a pillion!
            BREAKING NEWS!!! The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get Over It. Any complaints about how I operate, can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-wah with Dr. Sniffle reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin!!!

I wonder what this is?

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre
              Well done, you spotted a big one.
              It was informative for the uninformed?
              BREAKING NEWS!!! The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get Over It. Any complaints about how I operate, can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-wah with Dr. Sniffle reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin!!!

I wonder what this is?

Comment

Well Twig, you can ride pillion with me anytime, you sound like you know what to do.
                I'm not misunderstood....It's just that no one understands me.

Comment

Take your unapproved posts as a hint, play nice or log off, or I will do it for you
                  Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Just close the thread please- I'm sorry. This wasn't how I wanted it received at all ok? I didn't mean to offend people, make others upset....

Comment

Originally posted by Twigs View Post
                      Just close the thread please- I'm sorry. This wasn't how I wanted it received at all ok? I didn't mean to offend people, make others upset....
                      nah, fuck the haters.
                      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

for me its easier if the pillion:

- keeps leg inwards close to bike aids in centering weight
                        - holds on to you firmly, if holding on correctly your helmets wont bang.(unless u dont know how to change gears)
                        - DOES NOT PUT all their weight towards the rear of bike.......the front end becomes very sky happy under acceleration
                        Follow me on youtube:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8Snf4BT0w&feature=plcp

Comment

What barfy said
                          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

I knew I forgot something...there is so many things you do without thinking about them...
                            The rear weight happened to my dad- to make me comfortable I had to lean on the top box (put all weight on back) and his BWM got a bit sky happy and popped a mini wheelie.
                            Banged helmets before... I felt like a right idiot before yelling "Sorry!!" through the helmet to the rider- it was because they braked quickly and I wasn't ready...D'OH.
                            Thanks Barfy... I genuinely didn't mean to make anyone grumpy...

Comment

Some good points. Personally I feel it's up to the pilot to make his/her passenger informed and comfortable not the other way round.

Not sure what got deleted but it's all good.
                              I used to have a nice sig offering to shadow ppl. Now I have no sig...

Comment

Working...
                              X