Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight out, clutch turns bike on... wtf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight out, clutch turns bike on... wtf.

Howdy all,

I have myself a '06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (VZ800).

At work last night, she started fine, with no issue... I turn around to have a puff, I turn back and the headlight is now out, both high and low (but all other lights work fine).
    I figure just a fuse blew, and I'd take it safe of the way home.
    Just to be sure, I turned the bike off, let it sit for a minute, depressed the clutch annnnndd the engine started again (Usually, as I'm sure you all know, it's clutch in, starter button... not just clutch in.)

Now, every time I pull the clutch, the starter motor kicks over for a second, and the fuel injections whine (that priming sound, not sure the exact terminology) for as long as I hold the clutch.
    I managed to get through most of the lights on the way home, so there was minimal clutch action... but it's still a problem.

I've checked all the fuses (all good), and have done a visual check on the majority of the wires (also good.)

Any suggestion as to WHY this may be happening, would be awesome - as I am COMPLETELY stumped.

Cheers,
    Tom

starter button stuck in or short in the wiring to starter relay...

check for chaffed cables around the headlight and switchgear...

open up the switchgear then clean and lubricate and make sure all the switches operate smoothly etc etc

my main guess is starter button stuck in though because that will switch off the headlight to allow maximum power to the starter motor.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Check rh wiring harness from bar.......wet/crush/stuck in between forks/steering head....

Was steering lock on when parked??

Headlight switch ...flip and wiggle on/off might just have some crap in it...

If all else fails ....turn all the shit off... disconnect battery earth lead wait 30-45 secs reconnect wait reboot ....wait...
      hit ign on check lights......

good luck man.....
      " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

I'm with filbert on this, all the symptoms sound exactly the starter button is stuck on. Headlight turns off to give full battery power to starter, but only activates starter with clutch in or neutral light on so as to avoid lurching forward and causing you to fall off.
        Caitlyn.
        Previously: 1984 Honda VT250F-IID Integra - gone to bike heaven
        Current: 2000 Honda VFR800fiY Movistar edition

Comment

Have you parked next to a ducati lately?

It sounds like your bike has caught a pretty bad case of Elettronica Italia

(short in wiring loom somewhere, you either have a bunch of time to spend getting familiar with a multi-meter and heat shrink, or a visit to a sparky. or a replacement wiring harness - possibly more reliable than relying on some guy to fix it properly)
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

+1 For the starter button being stuck on...

Comment

Thanks all for suggestions. Got the day off today, so I'll be finishing my coffee and having a look again - Focusing on the starter button.

Occam's razor, right?

Let you all know how I go.

Ta,
              Tom

Comment

Well... it was the starter button.

*facepalm*

Thanks again,

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomL View Post
                  Well... it was the starter button.

*facepalm*

Thanks again,

Tom
                  feedback is good nice to know if we have been some help, an odd one but not unheard of and you can help the next guy with the problem
                  Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    feedback is good nice to know if we have been some help, an odd one but not unheard of and you can help the next guy with the problem
                    Who knows, with a sensible question and great advice given with no piss taking, someone, one day, might even use the search function and find this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                      Who knows, with a sensible question and great advice given with no piss taking, someone, one day, might even use the search function and find this thread?
                      Hey now, lets not get too ahead of ourselves..
                      Caitlyn.
                      Previously: 1984 Honda VT250F-IID Integra - gone to bike heaven
                      Current: 2000 Honda VFR800fiY Movistar edition

Comment

Working...
                      X