Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My reliable ninja has stopped being that :/

Hey guy and gals,

I need some advice please from people who might have had the same problem....

I've got a 250 ninja with about 20,000ks and I last rode it on Thursday and it was running fine. I parked it under the carport and then went to start it Monday morning for work but no luck :/
    It just turns over but won't start,I can hear the relays clicking aswell, I also tried push starting it with my brother and could hear it start to struggle a bit but no where near enough to get it going. I've taken it apart now and checked the battery which is at 12.5v so thats sweet,checked the fuel lines and they are all straight and I took the spark plugs out and cleaned them and they are only about 5,000ks old

I put the tank back on and hoped it would sputter into life but no luck it just keeps trying but gets nowhere.

I know it takes 3 things to start a bike/car.... Air, fuel and spark but I can't find what isn't working/don't really know what I'm doing, so just thought I'd ask if anyone here had an idea what it could be before I take it to a shop.

Thanks

Cat

Edit: also just tried starting it then and heard a very loud bang....loud enough to sound like a gun
    Has 250.....wants 1000

Done a compression check? My KTM had the same symptoms, It had carbon buildup on the valves and couldn't get enough compression to work / start properly.

Comment

Get your battery load tested. 12.5v doesn't mean much. It's cranking power - amps is what is needed.

Comment

What's the battery read when your cranking?
        I reckon you've dropped a cell or two
        for passing your r-e test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-57420/
        for passing your R class test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-97314/
        for passing your intermediate excel training coarse see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...course-163460/

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
          Done a compression check? My KTM had the same symptoms, It had carbon buildup on the valves and couldn't get enough compression to work / start properly.
          nope have not done that, but it is due for a major service soon so I might have to get that done anyway.

Originally posted by GreenMeanie View Post
          Get your battery load tested. 12.5v doesn't mean much. It's cranking power - amps is what is needed.
          What exactly is load testing ?

Originally posted by kennyboy View Post
          What's the battery read when your cranking?
          I reckon you've dropped a cell or two
          Just checked then and while trying to start it drops to 11.1v
          Has 250.....wants 1000

Comment

Bikes generally need 12.2-12.5V while cranking... Your battery should read a minimum of 12.8v at rest... charge your battery as a start, and then check your charging system when the bike is running to ensure it is working properly.
            Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Put a fresh spark plug in it.

11.1v when cranking is on the low side, but if you have been trying to start it for a while it may need charging.
              Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll charge it up now and see what happens.
                Has 250.....wants 1000

Comment

Heya
                  Had exactly the same problem with my ninja... Have you tried carby cleaner? Will see if i can find my old thread

Edit: search is kaput... Sorry... I just went to the supercrap store, bought some carby cleaner or similar and it cranked over...
                  "Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over"

Comment

Originally posted by Hazelnutty View Post
                    Heya
                    Had exactly the same problem with my ninja... Have you tried carby cleaner? Will see if i can find my old thread

Edit: search is kaput... Sorry... I just went to the supercrap store, bought some carby cleaner or similar and it cranked over...

Haven't yet, I'm a noob..do you just pour it in the tank or spray it somewhere ?
                    Has 250.....wants 1000

Comment

Originally posted by Kawasaki cat View Post
                      Haven't yet, I'm a noob..do you just pour it in the tank or spray it somewhere ?
                      Google foo
                      http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...t-start-88079/

Comment

Ie carb cleaner, goes in the tank, read instructions.. Ii probably have some leftover but as im in the process of koving nomway ill find it...
                        Wasnt too expensive fromsuoercrap. just ended using up the fuel and getting an early service done

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                          Put a fresh spark plug in it.

11.1v when cranking is on the low side, but if you have been trying to start it for a while it may need charging.
                          This. My money is on foul plugs or dodgy battery. Spark plugs will be cheaper than a battery and even if it doesn't work it's not an bad idea to change them anyway if they haven't been done for a whike and you can cross out one possibility.

Doesn't hurt to chuck some carby cleaner in the tank from time to time too, but it really needs to be running for it to work well

Comment

If you end up replacing the battery then consider one of these: SSB 12V 220CCA LH5LBS High Performance Lithium Battery (YTX5L-BS, YTZ7-S, YTZ7-S-BS, GTZ7-S)
                            One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

killswitch?
                              Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

Working...
                              X