Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty fuel gauge/float?

Hi guys

The fuel gauge on my '12 CBR250 isn't moving.

On potatos ride yesterday I noticed upon arrival to Bullsbrook that it hadn't dropped 1 iota, fueled up and the bike took more fuel than it ever has... Phew.

Is it likely to be that the float is stuck (I assume tanks in bikes are similar to in cars, please correct me if not) or more likely that there's an electrical problem with the gauge/cluster itself, and in any case is there anything I can do to find out? I'm guessing it's more likely a float problem as the speedo was working fine, presumably if it was a problem with the screen/electronics nothing would be working properly on it.

I cant remember if the warranty is 1 or 2 years, if 2 I'll take it to a dealer but otherwise I don't really have the spare cash at the moment to take it to be looked at so thought it worth asking here.

Thanks
    AKA Lady Jonas

Oops sorry mods, posted in the wrong forum, would you please move it for me? Thanks!
    AKA Lady Jonas

Comment

Bikes don't tend to use floats anymore, I doubt cars do either...

They use a resistance type sender unit...

You may have just had a wire come loose...

Comment

yes the cbr250r uses a float and it's attached to the fuel pump apparently, some disassembly required to free it up or make sure it's still attached correctly, i even found mentions of it on google from owners whose bikes had been rear ended.

since yours was rear ended it could be the same issue or it could be unrelated.
        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
          Bikes don't tend to use floats anymore, I doubt cars do either...

They use a resistance type sender unit...

You may have just had a wire come loose...

Float is apart of the sender unit, it's attached to a metal rod which is connected to a variable resistor and every car I've worked on has had a float.
          Take care if your gonna remove the sender unit it's an important little device
          www.facebook.com/jtrautocare - www.jtrautocare.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by JTR85 View Post
            ...every car...
            ^^^ can't argue with that...

Comment

Just realised my mistake...

It's not the gauge ones I'm thinking about, it's the fuel light ones...

Comment

if it was mine, id pull the tank off and shake hell out of it
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Working...
                X