Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fix up a trailer with rust spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix up a trailer with rust spots?

Hey all

So my trailer has a few small holes in it where water has pooled up and rusted out some small holes.
    I've attached a few photos here -
    IMG_40801_zps6a010e6b.jpg Photo by PSB_Carbon14 | Photobucket
    IMG_40791_zpseb23e8c7.jpg Photo by PSB_Carbon14 | Photobucket
    IMG_40781_zps46e42b33.jpg Photo by PSB_Carbon14 | Photobucket
    IMG_40771_zps1ee29da0.jpg Photo by PSB_Carbon14 | Photobucket

How should I go about fixing this?
    Replace the front half of the floor? or just the front half-metre where the rust is?

Stainless steel 100% the way to go I would think?

Either way I will then re-paint it with rust guard

Any previous fix up or ideas are welcomed!

Cheers!
    Carbon

geeze, for the time/cost to replace some or all of the floor i'd be doin' it properly and give her a new floor
    faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Wouldn't bother with stainless steel, that'll cost an arm and a leg I would have thought. If it were me I'd replace the floor and either paint it, or replace with aluminium tread plate.
      Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
      Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

Originally posted by 98kellrs View Post
        Wouldn't bother with stainless steel, that'll cost an arm and a leg I would have thought. If it were me I'd replace the floor and either paint it, or replace with aluminium tread plate.
        So cut out and grind off the floor and the welds holding the floor in place and weld aluminum tread plate on?

Comment

Nah, you'll struggle to weld aluminium to steel ferrous and non-ferrous metals don't like to party. I'd flap disc the rust off the steel, paint it in some cheap anti-rust paint to prevent flash rusting from appearing and then just bolt/rivet the aluminium straight over the top. 2mm tread plate should be pretty cheap. I'm not a fan of steel trays due to rusting, so I try to line anything I have that's steel.

**Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert; there's probably a better way of doing it. Just depends on how much money/effort you wanna put in.
          Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
          Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

That sounds the the option i was looking for!
            I'll look into that and see if any other options pop up in the mean time

Comment

Any dissimmilar metals such as Aluminium and Carbon steel will have a reaction. Not a good idea to put an ally floor in a steel trailer.
              Replace the floor with a steel one, When you have the floor out buff the supporting structure as it will also have rust issues and use Ranex (or other rust stop product) to prevent any further rust from occuring. Paint with a metal primer and suitable industrial paint. Drill drain holes in the corners and store your trailer with the hitch high and the tail gate open. Do not leave sand/soil and or Garden refuse in it when being stored.
              Check the drainage every now and then as leaves etc will block the drain holes.
              RR VRT #100
              Sponsors Wanted.
              Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
              A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

^^ yep, if you are going to run an ali deck on a steel frame, you want to insulate them to avoid setting up electrolysis. Top the bearers with high density rubber strips, same with the edges of the trailer where the lip will lock into place. Coat all your fixing screws with something like Duralac before you install them, too.
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Like rob says steel box trailers will rust in the edges... keep edges painted... been my experience that the rest of the steel flooring will only get minimal surface rusting even if stored uncovered if as suggested ya elevate the hitch end and swing down the tailgate or remove it (rain drains off)
                  faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

that floor looks roached in the corners

what u use the trailer for and you will find once the floor is removed that the angles that their welded to will be shot as well

you got the gear to replace the floor as your neighbors might not be happy with the grinding

good luck

Comment

Pretty much did what 98kellrs said with my car trailer

Comment

Also drill a couple of drain holes in the corners to allow and water to run out and reducing the chance of it rusting again
                        K1 Bandit 1200S,

Comment

A friend of mine had his old 5x8 re-floored by Corrective Services at Canning Vale Prison. Good job, good price.
                          Originally posted by Skut
                          ...the problem is that no-one wants to listen to an expert, just to have their own position/circumstance supported or be acknowledged.

Comment

Unless that trailer has new running gear its pretty much too far gone to repair, and if the chassis and drawbar (cant see it in the pics) is as bad then forget it.

Comment

Chassis and draw bar are fine.
                              Minor surface rust on small parts of the ribs - spots maximum about 5cm2 taken off the top later of paint.
                              The from is so bad because it's been tilted forward with leaves in it holding the moisture there.

A mate of mine said it's probably easiest and best to get rid of the rust with a wire brush on a grinder, kill rust it, paint it then put a new piece of sheet metal steel over the top and weld it down

Comment

Working...
                              X