Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke????

Hi PSB wizards,

I finally got her running right not enough hours in the saddle to quench my thirst as yet, then the indicator switch shit itself. New cluster from Maddington wreckers and after much confusion (newer vt250s headlight always on) got it all wired and working, now i have a problem with idle and a huge miss starting about 5k. the choke cable is incorporated in the LH cluster and although initially hard to seat cable in the slot it went in and back together and is now really hard to operate. this is my first thought on the issue since it was running perfectly and super reliable before changing switch cluster.
    Any one with any ideas?
    Cheers Matt\

Have you tried disconnecting the choke cable, ensuring the choke lever on the carb is set to the off position, and run the bike to see if it still does it?
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
      Have you tried disconnecting the choke cable, ensuring the choke lever on the carb is set to the off position, and run the bike to see if it still does it?
      Thanks Loud
      The choke on these things is so weird, ive read it is called a fuel enrichment something, but to answer your question i took the little choke plug out of front pot and it wouldnt run at all.
      Im thinking maybe the fuel (premium) bein shes 31 years old may have something rto do with it , ill drop the gas and see if it will run on regulat unleaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Jurien vt250 View Post
        Thanks Loud
        The choke on these things is so weird, ive read it is called a fuel enrichment something, but to answer your question i took the little choke plug out of front pot and it wouldnt run at all.
        Im thinking maybe the fuel (premium) bein shes 31 years old may have something rto do with it , ill drop the gas and see if it will run on regulat unleaded.
        depending on the brand and formulation of the premium unleaded it may have gone stale, on my open vent bikes eg; trailbikes, BP ultimate 98 will go stale in a few weeks supposedly due to volatile aromatics and results in hard starting and lethargic throttle response until everything is hot even then i'll get puffs of smoke when i wrap it on. The pressure vented road bikes with check valve still end up with stale fuel but it tends to be months in place of weeks.

two solutions that work for me were running another brand of fuel or adding F10 fuel treatment to stop it going stale

so lower octane may not necessarily be the best answer.

if the cable is tight since changing the switchblock then you may have pinched something or routed the cable differently during the repair and it's also worth checking again.
        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Any update?

Also the thread title deserves this picture:

Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
          1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
            Any update?

Also the thread title deserves this picture:

hahaha yes that pic is suitable Loud!! It was a combination stretched choke cable and a routing issue, new top cable and different path and she's all good. Thanks for everyone's help

Comment

Working...
            X