Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSXR losing electrical power when jiggle the clutch cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR losing electrical power when jiggle the clutch cable?

Going to sound crazy.. I hardly believe it my self.

As some of you know i bought my first open bike last friday, I passed my R class test thursday this week and finally today i rode it to work for the first time. The ride in went well... But tonight i go to move my bike showing some of my colleagues and much to my embarrisment i thought i stalled it.

I tried again, Stalled.. Hmm what could it be,
    I noticed that when it stalled all power is going out, All instrumentals and lights etc. I jiggled the handlebars, The power would turn on and off, on and off.
    That narrowed down the problem a bit,
    I then jiggle my clutch cable.. The bikes instruments turn on and off, on and off ... I Jiggle it from all angles i can, On and off... I jiggle everything else and power stays off / or on.

Why would a clutch cable cause the bike to lose all electrics?
    So far the list of issues iv had with this bike in the past week are as follows... "Sharted carberettors from sitting for far to long" Gears sticking in neutral unless i roll forward.. and now losing all electrics when i jiggle a god dam clutch cable..

Im dumfounded. The nice lady i bought the bike off who has owned it for 7 years and has all the paperwork to prove everything the bike has had or seen tells me she has never experienced any of the issues that im claiming to have. Like it miraculously became a lemon the day i bought it.. GRRR rant over.
    Inspirational signature that makes you think deeply about your life.

http://www.gixerboyz.co.uk/forum/vie...p?f=21&t=34177

This post has shed some light on a possibility. However I have no idea what ill be looking at.. Mates bringing tools to my work in morning and hopefully I can figure it out so I dont have to pay money for a trailer/mechanic to sort the issue...

Comment

Just went to play around again, Jiggling things to see what happens, Now getting no electrics at all.. Furious! Rode the back a handful of times... $1000 per ride its worked out to.. Never felt so deceived.

Comment

The clutch cable will be moving some wires somewhere.

Check all the plugs are properly pushed together in the front of the bike.

Run your fingers under the ignition and see if you get the same result.

The clutch cable is not the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Failing all of that, pull off the tank and trace the path of the cable checking all the wires that run beside it.

One thing you should always remember is both women and sellers will lie to you to sate their own needs.
        sigpic

Comment

I chose to buy this bike from her for various reasons.

1. Bike only had 8300 miles - 13000 kms roughly.
          2. She had owned the bike prior to import and had all paperwork.
          3. All mechanic work she had done on the bike was documented even the prior MOT papers from england.
          4. She was an older female, Seemed safe.
          5. Their house was lovely everything new and looked to be the type of people who looked after their equiptment.

Im contacting her in the morning, Im going to request either a full refund or failing that $1000 of my money back to go towards the much needed repairs. If that fails ill seek legal advice (i know i dont have much of a leg to stand on but ill try anyway)

There were 2 other fantastic bikes i could have purchased for that money, Id been looking for weeks. I chose the lemon of the bunch. Feel like shooting myself in the foot.

If i dont get any money off her the bike will end up sitting in my carport for many months as i simply cant afford to fix all these issues... I wanted a bike for summer and im guessing i will now not get a chance to ride it.. Humanity is a plague.

Comment

^^ if i was the seller and you came to me demanding a refund of any kind, i'd be telling you to go fuck yourself personally.

Caveat emptor - you inspected, you handed over money, deal done. You've had it a week, done work on it yourself, etc. It's not like it failed on the drive way or whatever. And even if it did... private sale = too bad.

This is why you pay more from a dealer - they take possible problems like this into account.

Sounds like the clutch switch on the suzukis has some sort of fault which is used for the bike to detect that you have the clutch in to start it. It probably won't be expensive. If you think sorting minor issues like this is too expensive, just wait until you come up due for tyres, a chain and sprockets, or a valve clearance. Or all of those at the same time.

You making the mistake of buying this bike and then not wanting to deal with it is not her problem. She may well have spent the money. And even if not... the deal has been done.

Better luck next time. It's a 15 year old bike. Would you expect warranty on a 15 year old car?
            Last edited by thro; 15-11-2014, 12:10 AM.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I am due for most of those things, Which i took into account was happy to walk away with and repair my self.

The rest of it is adding on, Im not expecting anything from them im just hoping theyre decent enough to take some responsibility for their deception.
              I personally wouldnt sell a bike like this without telling people the issues but thats just me. And because of that i know i wouldnt get calls back about these faults or problems.

Not saying your opinion is invalid, I just think its poor form for some one to take money from you and not disclose the issues. I have a good right to be very angry.

I dont even know how im going to get it home, Its not like i can simply lift it onto a trailer... I cant even run it to get it up a ramp onto a trailer. What if this had happened to me whilst on the waroona ride? what if it cut out, Would it have come to a jarring holt like it did last night ending with me flying off the side of the road and injuring my self? it would have not only ruined my day but everyone elses on the ride if my bike had of all a sudden stopped working when we stopped for a break..
              Its just a shit situation I have been stuck in.

I was thinking the clutch switch, But that wouldnt fault the electrics it would only stop the bike from starting. I have to assume that theres other wiring involved which has come loose that my clutch cable was near.

Now my partner has to drag my 19 month old daughter out of bed at 5:30 in the morning just to come pick me up from work.. I cant stress enough how angry I am right now. And yes its my own fault but at the same time why couldnt these people be a little more honest in the sale? Life sucks, Ill sort it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mywhip View Post

The rest of it is adding on, Im not expecting anything from them im just hoping theyre decent enough to take some responsibility for their deception.
                I personally wouldnt sell a bike like this without telling people the issues but thats just me. And because of that i know i wouldnt get calls back about these faults or problems.

Not saying your opinion is invalid, I just think its poor form for some one to take money from you and not disclose the issues. I have a good right to be very angry.
                Who's to say there WERE issues? By your own admission the bike has been sitting for ages. Perhaps the last time it was ridden there were no issues. You inspected it, you didn't find any issues, you handed money over, sale done.

Sorry, but if you aren't competent to do a proper inspection, that isn't her fault. This is basic second hand vehicle purchase 101.

I dont even know how im going to get it home, Its not like i can simply lift it onto a trailer... I cant even run it to get it up a ramp onto a trailer. What if this had happened to me whilst on the waroona ride? what if it cut out, Would it have come to a jarring holt like it did last night ending with me flying off the side of the road and injuring my self? it would have not only ruined my day but everyone elses on the ride if my bike had of all a sudden stopped working when we stopped for a break..
                Its just a shit situation I have been stuck in.

I was thinking the clutch switch, But that wouldnt fault the electrics it would only stop the bike from starting. I have to assume that theres other wiring involved which has come loose that my clutch cable was near.

Now my partner has to drag my 19 month old daughter out of bed at 5:30 in the morning just to come pick me up from work.. I cant stress enough how angry I am right now. And yes its my own fault but at the same time why couldnt these people be a little more honest in the sale? Life sucks, Ill sort it.
                Look, I feel for you, and I get that you must be frustrated, but none of this is her problem. As you say there were plenty of other bikes you could have purchased, but YOU and you alone chose to purchase this one. 15 year old bike, these are the risks you take. If you want a guaranteed 100% working bike (and even new bikes fuck up occasionally and need to be claimed under warranty) then you buy new.

If you want a statutory second hand warranty you buy from a dealer. If you choose to try and get a cheaper bike by going private, ALL BETS ARE OFF. As I said, with the bike sitting for so long, she likely didn't even know any of these issues. But even if she DID, it is your responsibility to check things out before handing over your money. You are buying a 15 year old bike for about a third the price of a new one. It WILL have issues.

edit:
                your best bet may be one of the mobile motorcycle mechanics, e.g., Derek Ball, K-Tec, Bike Doctor (?) or whoever.
                Last edited by thro; 15-11-2014, 12:46 AM.
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I brought up the issue with headlights not working ( they did on inspection ) but had stopped working on ride home, She claimed they always worked without fault. I found that if i moved the left hand controls i could get the high beams working.. Oh well 0 fucks given i can fix that.

I hadnt had a chance to test for the running of bike and relied on my father. HE some how missed the massive flat spot and idling issues. I asked about it, She claimed they didnt exist (she rode the bike that day and put fuel in it) she would have noticed them.

She isnt honest.. thats apparent, Wether she has any liability since iv bought it or not doesnt matter right now, Im angry for the pure fact shes a dishonest cheat. I simply cannot understand why you would put your crap onto some one else. Im a good person, Ill have my conversation with her and if she refuses to take any liability ill walk away with my tale between my legs. But not all people are as forgiving as me, Take into mind you could sell to some real nasty prick who will burn your belongings and fuck with your life the way you fucked with theirs, Why take the risk and not be honest?

Again, Im infuriated... I have a right to be.. Ill fix the bike when I can afford to but at this rate I will miss the majority of summer.

Edit -
                  Ill be getting the work done by Gavin through recommendation on PSB. He has been a great help when purchasing bikes and has already quoted me for everything else the bike needs until now and has great prices so ill call him tomorrow and ask for opinions and prices to rectify this issue.

Comment

You're still not really getting it.

Once you hand the money over and sign the forms, you have decided "yes, i am happy with this bike and will exchange my money for it.".

At that point, her responsibility ends. Whether she said anything about anything, or knew about any of it... not her problem. If she picks up your call and is courteous in saying no when you go making demands, it's about all you can reasonably expect.

And you are still assuming she knew of these issues to justify blaming somebody else for your fuck up.

To me, it sounds like the bike has been left outside in the back yard in the weather (hence the faded paint, screen), and not run for an extended period of time. The fuel set in the carbs, the electrics have been left in the weather to corrode, and this is the result. You've been riding it, things have moved and there is a short somewhere, since it has been moved about. It's probably the clutch switch or similar - causing a SHORT which reboots the ECU or trips it.

When you go check a bike out, these are the sort of things you should be checking out. Several alarm bells are going off for me from what you have said regarding the km on the bike the age, the condition, etc. (low low km, faded paint, hazed screen, MILES? what?). If you are not willing to accept the risk of this sort of thing, and plan to be spending money to fix a secondhand vehicle if required, you should not purchase.

Comment

Edit - Discussion over just digging my self a bigger hole.
                      Last edited by Mywhip; 15-11-2014, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Just a suggestion. If you have the basic tools..

trace the clutch cable from the lever to the gearbox, and see if it's touching anything in between? on one of my project bikes, something was interfering with the ignition barrel and caused intermittent stalling. On another, wires were frayed and earthing out a fuse.

Open up the fairings but don't go beyond the point you are unable to re-assemble it.

Comment

I said same thing further up the thread, but it seems he wants to complain more than repair.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                            Sounds like the clutch switch on the Suzuki has some sort of fault which is used for the bike to detect that you have the clutch in to start it. It probably won't be expensive. If you think sorting minor issues like this is too expensive, just wait until you come up due for tyres, a chain and sprockets, or a valve clearance. Or all of those at the same time.
                            +1 I've had and also read about some of his issues on various BB forums with older Birds, the clutch switch can get dodgy and tell the bike it's still in gear and it wont start

I just replaced the left switchblock on my bike as the indicator switch was getting worse, it would work in warm weather but not cold and despite cleaning and lubing etc which prolonged it a couple of years I suddenly lost my indicators, plus the HB switch was starting to become intermittent so I replaced it

It may have corrosion in the loom somewhere, some of the early FI BB's had an inspection/test port in the loom for the factory that used to just get taped up onto the frame and would corrode (more prevalent in the UK etc), then there are sidestand switches or even the R/R failing that could affect the dash etc
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Don't
                              Jiggle
                              Clutch
                              Cable.

Your welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X