Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vehicle License transfer, Change of Ownership - how long should the process take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle License transfer, Change of Ownership - how long should the process take?

Hi all,
    I recently bought myself a bike, and I have not gotten any indication that the transfer has taken place, I posted my part of the form, and I can only assume the seller did too (he put 3 months rego on it for me buying it, and this checks out according to the DOT website.)

so my question is, how long does it generally take? first time buying a vehicle, and I'm getting a bit worried here, been just under a month now, and still no signs of the transfer fee?

thanks.

-Sloth
    (I see how my choice in usernames is rather ironic right about now, no? )

Originally posted by sanic_sloth View Post
    Hi all,
    I recently bought myself a bike, and I have not gotten any indication that the transfer has taken place, I posted my part of the form, and I can only assume the seller did too (he put 3 months rego on it for me buying it, and this checks out according to the DOT website.)

so my question is, how long does it generally take? first time buying a vehicle, and I'm getting a bit worried here, been just under a month now, and still no signs of the transfer fee?

thanks.

-Sloth
    (I see how my choice in usernames is rather ironic right about now, no? )
    I bought a 2012 Falcon about a month ago and the dealer paid the transfer fee and posted all the paperwork off and I just received the transfer/licence papers the other day
    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
    Originally posted by Phildo
    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
    Originally posted by filbert
    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

thanks para- that's good to know, so hopefully will receive in the next week or so?
      Guess I was probably just stressing over nothing

Comment

It's normally less than a month but can be longer in busy times, maybe get in touch with DOT and just check, The previous owner could have been late sending it in or might not have even done it yet.
        I normally take the red copy into dot when I get the vehicle and pay it strait away.
        K1 Bandit 1200S,

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-2014 View Post
          It's normally less than a month but can be longer in busy times, maybe get in touch with DOT and just check, The previous owner could have been late sending it in or might not have even done it yet.
          I normally take the red copy into dot when I get the vehicle and pay it strait away.
          I'm with Bill-2014. Whenever I buy a vehicle (car/bike/trailer) I always take my copy of the transfer papers into DOT and pay straight away - same day or next after picking vehicle up. That way it's done and I have the receipts. Relying on Govt depts is not something I am comfortable with.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question though...maybe something to think about next time.

Comment

read the fine print. you are supposed to contact them if you don't receive anything within 2 weeks. if you don't. they're quite happy to send you out a $100 fine, and they are the most stubborn arseholes you're ever likely to encounter. i had this problem at the start of the year. i rang about something else, asked about my transfer stuff and was told they'd received the paperwork, and it was probably still being processed. when i received the fine a month later and complained, they dragged out the recording of the phone call and everything, and reckoned i hadn't asked the question the right, and no matter what i said it was my fault. turns out it was most likely aus post's fault, as i found out when other licenses expired after i failed to receive renewal notices, which would've been sent at about the same time

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...leTransfer.pdf
            "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

have bought 3 vehicles in the last 9 months or so and the paperwork was all through in under 3 weeks, but when I bought my car from the dealer it took over a month so I guess it depends when the other party does their bit

Originally posted by chief wiggum View Post
              read the fine print. you are supposed to contact them if you don't receive anything within 2 weeks. if you don't. they're quite happy to send you out a $100 fine, and they are the most stubborn arseholes you're ever likely to encounter. i had this problem at the start of the year. i rang about something else, asked about my transfer stuff and was told they'd received the paperwork, and it was probably still being processed. when i received the fine a month later and complained, they dragged out the recording of the phone call and everything, and reckoned i hadn't asked the question the right, and no matter what i said it was my fault. turns out it was most likely aus post's fault, as i found out when other licenses expired after i failed to receive renewal notices, which would've been sent at about the same time

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...leTransfer.pdf

14 days from sale is the time you have to complete and send off the paperwork - they advise they will make a decision and confirm in 21 days so that's the point where you should be thinking about getting on to them.

the $100 infringment is failure to complete the paperwork within 14 days so it's advisable to get proof of postage as often within that 14 days the forms may not even be in the system if you do call. You generally have to be unlucky to get pinged for it if you've sent it off in time - I always send mine via printed stamp at the PO which has the date on to prove it was sent in time. I've not had a problem having infringements wiped off for transfer issues etc luckily!
              Last edited by Jaw; 09-12-2014, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Give them a call, state purchase date and number plate. Make sure they got your address right. I bought a trailer for work, where the invoices have to go to Victoria, including a 3xxx post code. Some idiot put an address in Mount Lawley, WA in the system...
                They were helpful and had it rectified within a day - the paperwork arrived in Vic around 5 days after the call.

Comment

I've bought/sold 3 cars and a bike in the last six months. It's varied anywhere from 2-5 weeks before I receive the receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaw View Post
                    have bought 3 vehicles in the last 9 months or so and the paperwork was all through in under 3 weeks, but when I bought my car from the dealer it took over a month so I guess it depends when the other party does their bit

14 days from sale is the time you have to complete and send off the paperwork - they advise they will make a decision and confirm in 21 days so that's the point where you should be thinking about getting on to them.

the $100 infringment is failure to complete the paperwork within 14 days so it's advisable to get proof of postage as often within that 14 days the forms may not even be in the system if you do call. You generally have to be unlucky to get pinged for it if you've sent it off in time - I always send mine via printed stamp at the PO which has the date on to prove it was sent in time. I've not had a problem having infringements wiped off for transfer issues etc luckily!
                    with my situation, there was no argument that i hadn't sent in the paperwork, the problem was me not paying for the invoice that i didn't receive
                    "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

It may be better if you can go in there if they have your paperwork alreay processed you will proberbly be able to pay on the spot.
                      K1 Bandit 1200S,

Comment

If you're registered for DOT direct, you can submit the transfer online, and pay the fee online once they process it.

Comment

yeah chief wiggum, that's what I'm assuming might be the case, the $100 fine isn't a huge issue, just having the thing sorted is all I want (for christmas? hah.)
                          however the other night I did as mostlegendary mentioned, and have submitted it online, with any luck it will process ASAP and I can pay for it online and forget about it.

well, till rego comes around!
                          oh and I'm going to be changing the colours/fairings soon, so it kinda needs to be in my name for me to change the registration information..

Comment

Took mine eleven months. We sent everything in straight away, they wanted more information so sent that in then nothing.

I contacted them last week and found them very helpful in sorting it out.

Best to give them a call.

Comment

Just bought a bike myself second hand from a dealership - took two weeks to get the paperwork through

Comment

Working...
                              X