welding steel bike frames.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding steel bike frames.

I am going to repair a bike frame for a fellow psb rider the down tube behind the engine has fatigue crack right through above the engine mount gusset, the the pipe looks about 30 mm o/d and the wall thickness around 2.5 to 3 mm from the photos, what process mig or tig and are the frames a special grade of steel I did consider a tubular patch as well anybody here done a similar repair.
    Assistance appreciated.
    Last edited by llbuono; 15-01-2015, 12:43 PM.

Tig bronze it then you don't need to worry about grade of steel
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Any guesses as to what its made out of?

TIG with ER312 or Hastelloy W those rods are pretty much made for welding steel when you don't know what it is.
      In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a photo of the broken frame.

Comment

Should clean up fine. gp stick would do.gas bronze if needs must.

Why did it break there,mate.?

Sleeve n gusset ....for max strength...check head- stock, swing arm pivot point and downtube...might be another crack somewhere else....under all that paint....
          " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Originally posted by GSX IN SHED View Post
            Should clean up fine. gp stick would do.gas bronze if needs must.

Why did it break there,mate.?

Sleeve n gusset ....for max strength...check head- stock, swing arm pivot point and downtube...might be another crack somewhere else....under all that paint....
            I don't know how it broke mate he just sent me some photos excellent resolution so you can see the fracture in another photo, I suspect a fatigue crack propagated from the top of the mounting gusset.

Anyway I have mig tig and stick gear here tossing up between tig or mig and a sleeve patch just wondered if anyone has seen a break like this and what they did I have never repaired a frame before but the welding is pretty straightforward I just wanted to see what others would recommend.
            Last edited by llbuono; 15-01-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Piece of piss. Looks like an old DT.
              In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
                I just had a look at the message it is a xl 185.

Comment

^^Correct. Defo not 2.5mm steel though, I'd say 1.2 at the most. I got the closest measurement I could with verniers though I couldn't close them around the pipe wall.

Edit: for scale, pipe OD is 26mm.
                  If it's good to ya, it's good for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Arch3r View Post
                    ^^Correct. Defo not 2.5mm steel though, I'd say 1.2 at the most. I got the closest measurement I could with verniers though I couldn't close them around the pipe wall.
                    I wasn't going to name you mate but 1.2 is pretty thin will need the tig but the question here is does it need some sort of patch to saddle the break say 40 or 50 mm long of maybe two mm tube.

Anyway when i do the repair in about two weeks I will post a couple of photos up here.
                    Last edited by llbuono; 15-01-2015, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I would slip a pipe inside if possible. That crack being almost straight makes me think its a cro-moly steel frame...is it a dirt bike?
                      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                        I would slip a pipe inside if possible. That crack being almost straight makes me think its a cro-moly steel frame...is it a dirt bike?
                        A Honda xl 185, I havent seen the bike yet thats a good idea inserting a pipe and it would look better than an external gusset and the weld cap could be ground flush on the exposed side for aesthetics.
                        Last edited by llbuono; 31-01-2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arch3r View Post

Edit: for scale, pipe OD is 26mm.
                          Arch3r, you need to cafe the old XL, go for broke have Ibuono make you a new Reynold 631 frame, alloy rims.....$$$$ tonne up XL185 special beckons!
                          "Love a ranga today"

"How long, not long, because because what you reap is what you sow"

Comment

Plain old ER 70 rod buddy , clean and prep the area , nice and hot full pen run and one over the top to smooth it out , if it looks good leave the weld and paint over , if it looks crap 80 grit flat sanding pad and dress it back flush to tube , you can then paint or run over it again neatly . If u want me to lend s hand just ask , 5 min job and will supply any consumables u need ,

Lee
                            Regards Lee

Comment

[QUOTE=mr-fabricator;3169339]Plain old ER 70 rod buddy , clean and prep the area , nice and hot full pen run and one over the top to smooth it out , if it looks good leave the weld and paint over , if it looks crap 80 grit flat sanding pad and dress it back flush to tube , you can then paint or run over it again neatly . If u want me to lend s hand just ask , 5 min job and will supply any consumables u need.

Exactly what i thought an er70s-2 tig wire i will take you up on it lee my tig skills are rusty even though i have it here and a brand new tube of wire, and a full cylinder of argon, my argon regulator got stolen on a job a while ago, but in bunbury cash converters the other day i picked up a near new lincoln regulator for $40.00, we could even bring that up and do it at his house if you want, i appreciate the help it is thin wall, i had considered using a mig i have a lincoln with 0.8 mm s6 wire, but tig will be better.

Comment

Working...
                              X