GSX-R600 2012 Coolant type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSX-R600 2012 Coolant type?

Yesterday I spent over two hours removing the fairings from my GSX-R600L2 fitting a Rad Guard and Cut R&G crash protectors, replacing everything, only to find that the coolant reserve tank was on the lower limit of acceptable.

So this weekend, I plan to flush and replace the coolant. But I am unsure what is the best coolant to use. Do I pick something up from Supercheap or does it need to be something special?

Also for people who go to Track Days what Dot 4 type brake fluid do you recommend? I have seen some products mention SuperDot 4 race spec?
    2012 Suzuki GSX-R600 Black with Lowered Seat, Rad Guard, R&G Frame Sliders, Hel Braided Lines, Vortex Rearsets
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEL...FK0eXmo3exQB_Q

oem is suzuki golden cruiser 1200na long life coolant

part number gc990-99032-250

ask Adam at joondalup suzuki to get you some in

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Perfect will do!
      2012 Suzuki GSX-R600 Black with Lowered Seat, Rad Guard, R&G Frame Sliders, Hel Braided Lines, Vortex Rearsets

Comment

DOT4 is a spec, so any fluid that complies with the DOT4 spec should be fine. If you want better look for DOT5.1 (not 5 as 5 is silicon based) rated fluid.

But as a track day non-racer DOT4 will likely be fine... I doubt you'll be pushing the brakes anywhere near their limit (I've never had fluid related problems there, and never bothered with any special prep like changing the fluid for fresh stuff outside of regular maintenance).
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
          DOT4 is a spec, so any fluid that complies with the DOT4 spec should be fine. If you want better look for DOT5.1 (not 5 as 5 is silicon based) rated fluid.

But as a track day non-racer DOT4 will likely be fine... I doubt you'll be pushing the brakes anywhere near their limit (I've never had fluid related problems there, and never bothered with any special prep like changing the fluid for fresh stuff outside of regular maintenance).
          Does using brake fluid instead of coolant increase the engine braking capabilities of your bike?
          Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
          1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
            Does using brake fluid instead of coolant increase the engine braking capabilities of your bike?
            You clearly didn't read the second question in his post.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
              You clearly didn't read the second question in his post.
              I have a short attention sp... SQUIRREL!
              Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
              1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

I have a short attention sp... SQUIRREL!
                reading and attention spans are soooo 2014

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Yep.

Once that engine has cooked and locked up there would be more engine braking than is required (or desired).

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

If you are going to do track days get one of the better Dot 4's. You can find all the specs on the Internet if you do a search. I had been running what Thought was a decent one but recently found out it only just made the specs for Dot 4. I was getting enough fade to be annoying but no where near a problem. Had Motul 600 in the last couple of days and it's way better. Almost no change all session with the Motul.

Don't wast your cash on a 5.1 fluid unless you are really serious and intend to change it regularly. Apparently it absorbs moisture way quicker than a dot 3 or 4 which means more maintenance for no real gain.
                    The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

Cheers. I was checking through my manual and ut says my rubber lines need replacing every four years so i just bought some braided lines and will get k-tec to fit as i m not confident in bleeding the system myself.

Going to flush and replace the coolant tomorrow. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Comment

tectaloy performance 100 its a 50/50 pre mix from autobarn/supercheap and Castrol Response Brake Fluid super dot 4
                        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Corona 221 View Post
                          If you are going to do track days get one of the better Dot 4's. You can find all the specs on the Internet if you do a search. I had been running what Thought was a decent one but recently found out it only just made the specs for Dot 4. I was getting enough fade to be annoying but no where near a problem. Had Motul 600 in the last couple of days and it's way better. Almost no change all session with the Motul.

Don't wast your cash on a 5.1 fluid unless you are really serious and intend to change it regularly. Apparently it absorbs moisture way quicker than a dot 3 or 4 which means more maintenance for no real gain.
                          by any chance did you replace your brake pads at the same time? if no, i'll call it placebo effect.

you are correct tho, not all dot 4's are the same, some are rated higher than 5.1 even, but that wont cause fade, only failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Paraletic View Post
                            by any chance did you replace your brake pads at the same time? if no, i'll call it placebo effect.

you are correct tho, not all dot 4's are the same, some are rated higher than 5.1 even, but that wont cause fade, only failure.
                            Depends how "wet" the fluid is...

A good dot4 or 5.1 can have a higher boiling point when saturated than the lower end dot4 has out of the bottle.

With equal saturation a lower spec dot4 will fade earlier.
                            Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Depends how "wet" the fluid is...

A good dot4 or 5.1 can have a higher boiling point when saturated than the lower end dot4 has out of the bottle.

With equal saturation a lower spec dot4 will fade earlier.
                              agreed... water and quality affect the boilint point of the fluid.

hovever, once it boils the braking system will fail rather than fade

fade is generally the less efficient braking caused by retained heat, or lack of 'heat sink'

and to answer the op's original 2nd question, I race with DOT 4.
                              Last edited by Paraletic; 25-01-2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X