Batteries: are they all the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries: are they all the same?

Long story short, the battery on my bike seems to be on the way out. At rest it's putting out 12v, Drops to about 11 when I turn the key (lights on) and drops a little lower when starting the bike. I left it off charge for a week and when I went to start the bike the lights where a little dim but it started. I tested the battery after stopping the bike after letting it idle for a little and it seemed fine and tested ok with the multimeter and started fine.

Forgive the noobish questions, I'm only new to riding. Are all bike batteries the same and is there a standard size (dimension wise) for them? Or will I need a spicific size battery for my bike?

ive got a 2012 GS500F with 1400k's on it, I'm certain the battery is the one it rolled out of the factory with. When I bought the bike it was flat from lack of use and needed jump starting. Since then I've been using the bike weekly and leaving it on a charger (battery fighter) to keep it topped up.

Thanks in advance.

Take the battery out and take it into Battery World or a Suzuki Dealership. Though it does sound like the Battery has dropped a cell, they can load test the battery and see if it really is cactus. If you're ever up in the northern burbs go to Challenge Batteries in Osborne Park.

The answer to your question is no, motorcycle batteries are not all the same, motorcycle batteries come in different sizes. A bigger bike will have a larger battery than a 250.

Comment

I am no expert. I have had batteries charge fine but deteriorate rapidly when starting due to the faulty core. A trickle charge is better than rapid charge especially for lithium batteries due to intercalation. A noticeable increase in performance encouraged me to fully charge my battery before track days and I replaced a faulty yamaha battery after 1 1/2 years of short daily use with long weekend rides. The awesome help here can direct you to build confidence and reliability, whether that's auto electricians, mechanics, rides or events. Enjoy

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I guess first port of call is battery world, taking it in for a load test would be the best option I suppose.

What are the chances of them stocking the battery for my bike? Or would I be better off going to a dealership?

Comment

Originally posted by Ermahgerd View Post

What are the chances of them stocking the battery for my bike?
          Pretty good.
          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ermahgerd View Post
            Thanks for the advice. I guess first port of call is battery world, taking it in for a load test would be the best option I suppose.

What are the chances of them stocking the battery for my bike? Or would I be better off going to a dealership?
            Battery World should have what you're after, I've got several over the years from them for my 98 BB Yuasa shows a YB10L-A2 as a good battery for your bike Also Century list the same part # and BW Maddington are listed as a retailer GS batteries list the CB10L-A2 as an equivalent Exide seems to have YB10L-A2S as their version
            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
            Originally posted by Phildo
            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
            Originally posted by filbert
            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
              Take the battery out and take it into Battery World or a Suzuki Dealership. Though it does sound like the Battery has dropped a cell, they can load test the battery and see if it really is cactus. If you're ever up in the northern burbs go to Challenge Batteries in Osborne Park.

The answer to your question is no, motorcycle batteries are not all the same, motorcycle batteries come in different sizes. A bigger bike will have a larger battery than a 250.
              Actually this is not always the case,
              my gixxer battery is smaller in size and AH that the battery that I had in my GS 500, The Battery in the GS was longer and thicker and 12ah, the 1 in the gixxer was smaller I tried fitting the 1 from the gs in it and wouldn't fit the gixxer battery is 9ah.
              K1 Bandit 1200S,

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-2014 View Post
                Actually this is not always the case,
                my gixxer battery is smaller in size and AH that the battery that I had in my GS 500, The Battery in the GS was longer and thicker and 12ah, the 1 in the gixxer was smaller I tried fitting the 1 from the gs in it and wouldn't fit the gixxer battery is 9ah.
                Yeah it depends on the actual type of battery as well, the one that I saw recommended on the Yuasa site (YB10L-A2) I think is an older style "maintainable" battery compared to some of the others that are "maintenance free" Then you have things like the LiPo batteries etc
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

For those interested, I took the battery into battery world this afternoon and they tested it and it was cactus.

i ended up walking out with a motobat sealed battery. I fitted it just now with the little eyelets in place on the terminals for the charger cord to connect to my battery charger and it slipped in, bike started just fine first go.

when I wasn't using the bike for a while I was leaving it on charge (a automatic battery fighter 12 volt @ 1.25amps - which happened to be just what they reccomended I use and do) by the people at battery word.

Comment

So did you investigate the wty/replacement Guarantee.?
                    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Originally posted by GsxInShed View Post
                      So did you investigate the wty/replacement Guarantee.?
                      it was the battery that came with the bike from new, so it was at least a few years old. the bike had very little use before I bought it.

Comment

Batteries have a pro rata wty...bro
                        " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Working...
                        X