Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing Fiber glass around mounting bolt holes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Fiber glass around mounting bolt holes.

Patching up a fiber glass after a lowside @ collie - have the area sanded back and ready to patch with fiber glass kit - one of the mounting bolt holes has been scraped out - whats the best way to reform the fixing hole / is there a product / resin that would work best here for drilling the fixing hole after.

thanks

Any photos of the area?

If not too big of an area try mixing in some fibre dust or microballoons, I think they might be called too, into the resin.

If you need a small batch of it Ive got some lying around here.

If not just cut up some matting really fine.
    Ninety nine percent of the people in this world are fools. The rest of us are in great danger of contagion.

Comment

I just used a washer to get the correct diameter and orientation to lay the fibre and glass over.
      Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFZR View Post
        I just used a washer to get the correct diameter and orientation to lay the fibre and glass over.
        +1 That's how I did repairs on my rear cowl

Then I drilled the hole out using a doweling bit

#1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
        Originally posted by Phildo
        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
        Originally posted by filbert
        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Just adding thickness to the area will suffice for most locations then drilling. I would also highly recommend using biaxial weave fibreglass for damage repairs, I normally use enough layers to get ~400-500 gsm worth of thickness (I've just repaired mine too).

Fibreglass-resin sales or composites warehouse in oconnor are great for knowledge and products.

Also grab some peel ply, makes the finished surface much easier to work with.

Comment

More glass fibre, less resin. Resin has no strength and it weighty.

Comment

Nice one -thanks boys - will get stuck into it Sunday.

I am thinking washer & just fiberglass + fill over & leave the washer in there.

thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by mossy View Post
                Nice one -thanks boys - will get stuck into it Sunday.

I am thinking washer & just fiberglass + fill over & leave the washer in there.

thanks for the help
                Yep worked on my tail section
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

I use epoxy resin (Megapoxy or Kinetix) with fibreglass cloth woven matt. Much more strength (and flexibility) than polyester combined with chopped strand. More expensive though. Just use enough resin to wet the fibres and finally cover the job with some nylon peel ply material and brush it to get the excess resin soaked up into it and the fibreglass compresses. Peel it off when cured and you get a great finish which paint will stick to.

Comment

Working...
                  X