How to restore scratched/frosted lenses on speedos etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to restore scratched/frosted lenses on speedos etc

I'm trying to get this XR650 over the pits but the lens on both the speedo and the panel with neutral and high beam were scratched to buggery, impossible to see through and wouldn't have passed the pits.

Step 1: get the finest grade wet and dry you can. 1200 is best but 800 is ok (that's what I used as the ZBunnings I went to was out of 1200). Rub and rub and rub (with plenty of water) until you feel it become smooth as you're rubbing

Step 2: Brasso. It's an excellent metal polish as it has just the right level of grit for fine polishing. Put some on a rag and rub until you feel it become smooth. Doesn't take a lot of polishing.

Step 3: Mr Sheen. Spray it on and rub to a shine. The silicone oil fills in all the fine scratches created by the first two processes. Having done this on the XR I've got it back to about 80% new and don't see any problems with getting it over the pits.

Note - this process also works on frosted lenses on cars

Autosol then Carnuba wax.
    -

Comment

Toothpaste also works on very fine scratches/frosting/yellowing
      #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
      Originally posted by Phildo
      Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
      Originally posted by filbert
      i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
      Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Yep there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Important points are abrasion with something not too coarse followed by a coating of some sort to fill in the fine scratches and impart a gloss finish

Comment

Restoration of Polycarbonates is easy
          1/ Rub back with abrasives until scratches/discoloration are removed.
          2/ Spray with acrylic/2 pac clear. Very light dust coat then wait 10-15 mins followed by 5-6 coats allowing 10-20 mind between coats.

This will probably outlast the item you are restoring if done correctly.
          RR VRT #100
          Sponsors Wanted.
          Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
          A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

Originally posted by robwas View Post
            Restoration of Polycarbonates is easy
            1/ Rub back with abrasives until scratches/discoloration are removed.
            2/ Spray with acrylic/2 pac clear. Very light dust coat then wait 10-15 mins followed by 5-6 coats allowing 10-20 mind between coats.

This will probably outlast the item you are restoring if done correctly.
            For those of us who do not have spray equipmtment is there a spray can option for car head lights? I have rubbed them back but they soon discolour again?

Comment

Originally posted by Graelin View Post
              For those of us who do not have spray equipmtment is there a spray can option for car head lights? I have rubbed them back but they soon discolour again?
              Pretty sure you can get 2pac in a can now but I have used plain old SCA Acrylic and it works well.
              RR VRT #100
              Sponsors Wanted.
              Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
              A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

Originally posted by Graelin View Post
                If you get stuck Graelin, I've got all the gear at my place and would be happy to do it for you, you're always helping everyone else, must be my turn to repay your good will

Comment

Originally posted by robwas View Post
                  Pretty sure you can get 2pac in a can now but I have used plain old SCA Acrylic and it works well.
                  If possible use a UV-stabilised coating

Comment

Working...
                  X