Manage/remove rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manage/remove rust

Hey guys. I've recently bought my first used bike and there's some rust on the chain and a tiny bit on the handle and pedals too.

Can anyone recommend what they do to help get rid of the rust? Just looking for the easiest ways to help bring some shine to my new love.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

You bought a bike with a rusty chain? Hmmm, doesn't sound too good - neglect, 'n all that.

For the chain, replace it - and I'm going to hazard a guess that the sprockets will need replacing also.

The "handle" - do you mean bars? What are they made of? Ditto for the pegs. Or - what bike is it? Model/year.

Comment

Originally posted by pnork View Post
      You bought a bike with a rusty chain? Hmmm, doesn't sound too good - neglect, 'n all that.

For the chain, replace it - and I'm going to hazard a guess that the sprockets will need replacing also.

The "handle" - do you mean bars? What are they made of? Ditto for the pegs. Or - what bike is it? Model/year.
      Maybe I've made it sound worse than it is, but yeah there is some rust on the chain, handle bar and brake pedal.

The bike is a 2013 Kawasaki ninja 650l. Only had 4,000kms on it. Owner had it sitting for while.

Comment

a picture says more than 1000 words

Comment

Yep, post pictures - if you don't know how, 1) take picture 2) upload to somewhere like imgur 3) get link from imgur 4) post link in PSB.

Comment

Just because a chain is a bit rusty doesn't mean it needs replacing (4,000ks) it should be fine with a clean,lube and adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by paulaj View Post
              Just because a chain is a bit rusty doesn't mean it needs replacing (4,000ks) it should be fine with a clean,lube and adjust.
              +1 If it's just a bit of light surface rust on the side plates then you could try giving the chain a good oil, carefully running the bike while on a rear stand (or centrestand if it has one) and hold a long handled brass bristled wire brush against the sides and then give it a clean (after it's stopped) with a rag and another good oil with chain lube and adjustment

The main thing is that none of the rubber seals are damaged or links are seized which you can usually see if you rotate the wheel & chain and watch as the links go over the sprockets

As for the bars you can try some fine abrasive cream like a toothpaste or Jif if it's very light or if it's a bit heavier try some Scotch-Brite pads or steel wool or if really heavy some wet & dry paper
              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
              Originally posted by Phildo
              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
              Originally posted by filbert
              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Start here:
                https://road.renthal.com/shop/suppor...ain-chainwheel

See the section on chain wear.
                The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Didn't know how to post pics before, hopefully this worked with Imgur...

I think the chain is just some surface rust, not too much wear and no stiff links. The handle bar and brake pedal are just small asethetic things that I want to fix up.

Here's the link to the pics:
                  http://imgur.com/a/WCn5PcU

In my rush for a ride I just had the chain sprayed with lube but looking to get it cleaned up properly..

Comment

going by that photo I would replace the chain and sprockets....ASAP

Do not ride the bike until this is done.

ETA: the bike should have been inspected before buying as this type of thing usually indicates neglect...too late now.
                    Get a mechanic to check over and service the bike!
                    Last edited by Blazon; 15-01-2019, 12:48 AM.

Comment

My bike had been left in a garage for about a year before I got it and the chain looked in a similar state. I have a Kettenmax chain cleaning kit and after running it through that for a few minutes and then using WD40 regularly the chain has been fine ever since.

You should check it for wear and make sure that after the above treatment there aren't any stiff sections of chain, and if there are, or you are in any doubt it would make sense to replace it.
                      Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by OCDan View Post
                        Thanks for the help. Didn't know how to post pics before, hopefully this worked with Imgur...
                        Just an imgur tip. You can embed the picture in your post rather than provide only a link.

The easiest way with imgur:
                        Open your imgur images.
                        open the image you want to embed.
                        select and copy the link "BB Code message boards and forums".
                        Paste that link in your post.

Enjoy your new bike.
                        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for all the tips.

I've a mechanic coming to check out the bike on Thurs - Derek Bell, who has been recommended by some members in this forum.

Definitely going to try that chain cleaning kit too.

Will try that embedding too. Complete newbie when it comes to bikes and forums.. haha.

Comment

Excellent, enjoy your riding.

Comment

While the rust on the chain is a bit heavier than initially thought the sprocket doesn't look "too bad" and if no tight links I personally wouldn't rush to replace it

Of more concern to me is the brake pedal which has been dropped on something and has jammed up into the panel above it Not sure what's under that and whether the pedal is badly rusted enough beneath the anodising/plating to break under pressure

Bar end is a bit nasty looking and will probably need some heavy abrasive paper or even a file to clean that up and maybe some rust converter
                              Still that is cosmetic, would be interesting to see if the bar is bent given it's had a hard whack on the bar end
                              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                              Originally posted by Phildo
                              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                              Originally posted by filbert
                              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X