Turning your bike around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning your bike around

This thread won't be of any interest to you if your bike doesn't have a centrestand.

Old R-series Beemers had a (probably) unique property - the centrestand was situated at the centre of mass of the bike. That meant that if you had to do a U-turn in your driveway, you just grabbed the back of the bike, walked through 180 degrees, and Bob's your uncle.

Most other bikes, of course, have the weight on the front wheel. Like my K. "I wonder" I thought to myself, "if I can use the same technique". This of course all depends on the weight distribution. So I went to the front of the bike, put my hands under the fairing and lifted. As it happens, I was able to lift it pretty easily, and get the front wheel off the ground. Then I walked through 180 degrees and it was done.

Anyone else tried this technique?

It can be done on a side stand:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...-the-sidestand

Comment

Yep. I spin mine on the side stand and havent had an issue.

I've heard people say its bad for the side stand, but I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.

Comment

Its a small bridge unless the side stand bolts into the crankcase.
        -

Comment

Side stand for the win, easy as, all my Kawasakis, Aprilia's, Hondas just be weary with Yamahas as the R1 and R6 stand is very springy and this can bounce the bike... which can see you under it. Tried and tested!
          Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by Known View Post

Hahahaha he looked pretty pleased with himself at the end 😂😂
            Born to ride forced to work

Comment

Originally posted by Known View Post
              Geez. He made it look easy enough. Not sure I want to try it on the SV - too many expensive bits to break if I fuck up. Althtjough the side stand does look pretty solid. I’ll bear it in mind

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
                This thread won't be of any interest to you if your bike doesn't have a centrestand.
                How does it feel to be wrong almost all of the time?

Comment

Originally posted by dwillia View Post
                  come on man. get off ilbuono steaks back.
                  Originally posted by Paraletic
                  little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

Originally posted by dwillia View Post
                    It's good. It's the only way to learn. If I ever need to turn the SV around in a tight spot I now have an option that I didn't have before..

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
                      It's good. It's the only way to learn. If I ever need to turn the SV around in a tight spot I now have an option that I didn't have before..
                      but you did have the option

Comment

ive never trusted the pivot technique..

1 : im prone to knocking shit over

2 : stand could snap

ive always been a roll it out & turn around type guy, dirt bike just lift it up lol they all feel like mountain bikes after riding roadies

Comment

Originally posted by Hillz View Post
                          ive never trusted the pivot technique..

1 : im prone to knocking shit over

2 : stand could snap

ive always been a roll it out & turn around type guy, dirt bike just lift it up lol they all feel like mountain bikes after riding roadies
                          Yeah I'm with you. Can't see myself ever doing it. Looks way too risky, with too many things that can go wrong

Comment

its perfectly safe if you have a steel stand and can walk without falling over

Comment

I wouldn't suggest doing this with an aluminium side stand.
                              Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                              One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                              . .

Comment

Working...
                              X