Installation of new turn signals and other light stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of new turn signals and other light stuff

OK; hoping to look for a small fun project to do myself on our bikes, so turn lights, brake lights, fender eliminatiors, etc will be in my to do list.

Previously have asked the shop guys to do it for me (Back in the RILUSI days... so yeah, awhile ago)

Anyway, been watching a few videos and many of them seems easy....

Am i correct to assume it is just as simple as snipping the 2 wires to the turn signal and solder it to the new one and be done?

Yeah, also need to get a new relay if LED signal used.

thanks
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Resistors for led conversions, do your research and don't cheap out on those.

Comment

You don't need resistors for the indicators if you're using a led specific flasher unit. Resistors on the rest but, unless you get the globes with them built internally

Comment

I thought using resistors is a no-no? and best to use a new signal relay?
        "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

LED flasher relay is preferable. A resistor on each one will accomplish the same thing but is just more work.
          EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Also the resistors get damn hot, I did it years ago when I went to a hot bodies undertail on my R1, even though they were suitably rated it was always a concern for me that my bike would suddenly turn Italian and catch fire.

Get a relay to suit.
            Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
              Also the resistors get damn hot, I did it years ago when I went to a hot bodies undertail on my R1, even though they were suitably rated it was always a concern for me that my bike would suddenly turn Italian and catch fire.

Get a relay to suit.
              Your right that they get fucking hot, I wrapped mine on the daytona with some exhaust wrap which worked well and was good piece of mind under my nuts. It's easy to get led globes with built in resistors now days, just look for the ones that say they won't throw codes on canbus systems

Comment

so cut and solder be a good start?

Comment

If it was me I'd cut the plugs of the old gear and solder the wires to them so in the future it's just a case of unplugging if required

Comment

Yeah solder the plugs from your original indicators onto your new ones so they remain plug and play.
                    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
                      Yeah solder the plugs from your original indicators onto your new ones so they remain plug and play.
                      Isn't that exactly what I said?

Comment

Originally posted by okitoki View Post
                        so cut and solder be a good start?
                        Are you any good with a soldering iron? It’s not rocket science but if you don’t have everything you need bring them by my place and I’ll do them for you.
                        EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Get the proper relay and be done with it.

It's kind of an oxymoron.

Get LEDs to save power. Turn saved power into heat with resistors and with the added bonus of an extra point of failure.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
                          In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
                            Isn't that exactly what I said?
                            I was agreeing with you, hence starting with the word "yeah"

Comment

Well waiting for them lights to arrive first...

Looking at tail tidy but might be worth keeping it stock

Comment

Working...
                              X