Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customising Your Bike - The levers

Customizing your bike…..
    Bike customization is about making your bike reflect you as an individual. This can be done by simple bolt-on replacement modifications, or the more advanced custom paint-scheme and custom stickers, right the way through to major frame and hardware modifications such as street-fighters and extended swing-arms etc. This morning I want to introduce and identify the availability one simple modification that will effect how you interact with the bike, as well as make your bike that bit more like your own. This is the beginning of a series of threads that will identify other bolt-on option that will personalize your bike.....

Replacement Levers.
    Although the concept of the lever is to act as a fulcrum to be able to apply force to either open the clutch basket to remove drive from the gearbox, or apply force to a cylinder to apply the brakes, these levers with simple changes can look both visually different, as well as operate better. Since initial use, some level of adjustability has started to be incorporated by the Manufacturers, but even then the design is still very basic, and even between bike manufacturers, it is hard to tell the difference between one or another just by looking at the levers. Enter the after-market scene, where companies are in an ongoing battle to corner the market and produce the best lever. Outlined below are the different manufacturers, their designs and options to provide customization to what is a very small but highly important part of your bike.

Constructors Racing Group (CRG) Levers. CRG - Constructors Racing Group
    Probably one of the first manufacturers to do Billet Aluminium Lever design. Their design has been copied by many others, as well as improved upon. They have a bearing interface between the roller cam and lever mount to allow smoother position adjustment for their positions. They are limited to three lever colour options (Gold, Black & Titanium), and only have the option of Red Adjusters. They do come in either Short, or Long length levers, and have the additional option of folding levers.

Pazzo Levers. Pazzo Racing - Sportbike Brake & Clutch Levers
    The Pazzo Lever has a different design for their adjuster, relying on a simple stepped solid block to adjust lever position, rather than the bearing interface of the CRG’s. They have the many lever colours, as well as many adjuster tab colours. They also have the option of Long or Short lever lengths.

Titax Levers TITAX adjustable levers and performance parts
    Same roller-click design as the CRG’s, with a bearing interface for adjustability. 6 clicks available. They come only in standard (long length), with the option of a folding ability. Available in 7 colours (Black, Gold, Blue, Red, Silver, Green & Chrome), as well as 6 clicker colours (Black, Gold, Blue, Red, Silver & Green)

Vortex Levers Vortex Racing Components - Sprockets, Handlebars, Rear Sets...
    Bearing Roller Click design similar to the GRG’s, however a different click lever design. They are available in 6 different colours (Black, Gold, Blue, Red, Silver & Chrome), and have only a black option for the adjuster.

C-n-R Levers Home PowerStandsRacing.com
    Very similar design to the CRG’s, with only minor CNC cuting differences. Available as both long and short levers, they come in 5 different colour options (Black, Gold, Red, Blue & Silver), with five options available for the adjuster (Black, Gold, Red, Blue & Silver).

ASV Levers ASV Inventions
    The new leader in the field (In my opinion). Coming from producing Motorcross levers, ASV have now branched into the Street bike field. Rather than only limiting themselves to only 5 or 6 lever position as per the other manufacturers above, they have changed the design of the adjustment system to be able to have unlimited adjustability. In addition, they offer a Five Year Warranty for their levers, something that no other company does. Available only as a standard or short lever, they have three lever colour options (Black, Gold & Silver), and two adjuster colour options (Black, Red)

Gilles Tooling Levers Gilles Levers
    A different design, something that Gilles is reknown for. Unlimited adjustability, and foldable levers. Available in Silver, Gold or Black, with long or short lever options..

If you see or know any additional manufacturers, please let me know so that I can add them to the list.......
    Last edited by BlackFZR; 22-06-2008, 01:19 PM.
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Considering you can pick these up for little more than a set of replacement OEM's, they are well worth it.

I just reckon they would be even better with a needle roller instead of a solid bush in there
    Last edited by Dubs; 22-06-2008, 11:10 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Great write up

thanks, i have my first set of after market levers ever, installed a few weeks ago - Pazzo's, and i lurve them

Dubs

Comment

Put Pazzo's on my ZX6R. Best thing about them (apart from lookin' good) is the hugely improved ergonomics over the stockers and giving some reach adjustment on the clutch lever which the stocker doesnt have.

Comment

Nice write up timmy. I originally got my CRG shorty levers just for looks but I'm amazed how much better they improve my brake feel as well. Hard to explain but the lever just feels more solid.

Was a hard decision between getting the factory length or the shorties but definitely made the right decision in the end. Took a while to get used to them but love the two finger finger braking.
          10.81 BLADE

I'm a flirtalicious

Comment

Yeah, the shorties are awesome.

And they come in a heap of lever/adjuster colour combo's too.

Comment

All these levers are Billet aluminium, rather than cast as the OEM ones are. Generally this means that they have less flex, so more feel.
              In addition, by changing a few basic dimensions on these levers, they make it so that 1mm movement on the lever applies more brake than the OEM ones.... it may sound unlikely, but basic leverage changes allow this......
              Sponsored by:

Comment

I want gold shorties with blue adjusters for the 748.
                Will match the Ohlins! :awesome:

Comment

Nice chart find for the Pazzo's there Desmo, I knew they did more colours, just couldn't find it on the website....
                  Sponsored by:

Comment

Nicely done.
                    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Is this a EOI for a group buy or a stop asking FZR stupid questions about leavers? Came across another brand but [email protected]#$ed if I can remeber it right now. Anyway for those playing at home but if you are going to fit after market levers surely you would go with the folding types $$$ I know. Reading the CRG blub they seeming obsessed about the on the fly adjustment. Handy for the road endurance racer in the last session before the brake pad change but for the average road rider probally of dubious value.
                      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Gilles Levers added.......
                        Sponsored by:

Comment

Nice work... Cheers for that

Making some decissions a little easier.
                          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                          Its the little things that make the difference
                          Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Great Post Fella

Comment

Another lever manufactures are Zeta but I am unsure if they do sports bike, I use a set of billet shorties on my motard. SO much better than stock

They look nicer(yes they are shiney). They are wider than the stock levers and have a more adjustable throw on them. I have fitted the "unbreakable" levers. They pivot away from the bars in the case of a drop, which is pretty likely on a dirt bike.

The shorty has a slightly more agressive bend that allows for breaking and clutch use with two fingers rather than the stock which were a four finger joby as they needed to be pulled to the grip
                              Last edited by taint; 22-06-2008, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X