Add a spare HISS key to your Honda CBR1000RR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a spare HISS key to your Honda CBR1000RR

ok guys, I thought I would write this up in case anyone was interested in adding keys to their HISS enabled bikes without paying the guys at the Honda shop to do it. It probably cost me about $10 in parts not including the key.

This procedure was for a 2006 CBR1000RR, but may very well work on other similar models. I know the 04 and 05 have their CKP sensor under the fuel tank, but the procedure is similar other than that.

You will need 1 working ignition key to do this.

This process is not that difficult and involves creating a replica of the "Honda Special Tool" that costs well over $100 and is probably only limited to dealers anyway (i didn't bother trying to buy it). If anyone is interested the Honda tool part number is 07XMZ-MBW0101.

*****CREATING THE TOOL******

The tool is basically a set of leads that runs from your battery to your CKP sensor electrical connector. I have a picture that I borrowed from another forum.

As I said I made my own for about $10 in parts, which i all got from Altronics in the city. You need to have a soldering iron and a reasonable knowledge of how to use one.
    Parts:
    2 x 1m lengths of light to medium cable (also known as hookup wire). choose 2 different colours so its clear what is positive and what is negative.

2 x battery connector clips

1 x small length of heatshrink tubing
    1 x 1W 100R Carbon Film 5% Resistor (these come in a pack of 5, but you only need 1) The code for altronics is R7225.

2 x small female spade electrical connectors.
    (I couldn't find the small 2 way connector they use in the bikes wiring (see image) so i electrical taped the spade connectors together in a similar shape)
    1 x roll of electrical tape.

So I'll try not to bore you all to death, but you basically solder your length of wire that you are going to use for the positive lead to the red battery connector, then cut it in the middle and solder in your resistor. I then covered this with the heatshrink tubing so it wasn't exposed. Another stolen picture:

In that photo they use red wire for positive and baby blue wire for negative. I used white for positive and black for negative in mine.

The negative doesn't require a resistor, so just solder the black battery connector on the end of the other length of wire.

Keep in mind that your positive wire will be longer than your negative wire as you are adding length with the resistor, so trim it to the same length as the negative wire, then solder on your female spade bits.

At this stage I zip tied the two lengths together together and ran some electrical tape around and between the spade bits to keep them separate, but shaped in a similar way to a 2-way connector shown above.

Mine looks like this:

*****SPARE KEYS*****

There are 2 types of keys that you can get for your bike. One is about $80-$90 and has a transponder in it. The part number is 35121-MBW-601. This is the key you need to program to your HISS receiver.

The other style of key is about $20 and has no transponder (good to use just for opening the tank and rear seat without wearing down your ignition key) and the part number is 35121-MAS-G01

If you get the $20 key, it will not be able to be programmed as an ignition key as it has no HISS transponder in it.

These are the 2 keys. The one with the small head/top is the no HISS key.

You buy the key from Honda as a blank and then go to a key cutting place to get it cut to the same spec as your original key. Don't pay more than $5 to get it cut, your supplying the blank ffs and it takes them 30 seconds tops.

I'm in vic park, so i got the shoe makers in the vic park shops to cut it for me, no sweat. Most places will tell you that they won't guarantee the key will work as its not their blank.

*****CODING THE KEY*****

Now for the exciting part!
    1. Remove the right hand fairing side panel
    2. Disconnect the 2-pin wiring connector on your CKP sensor.

3. Shove your DIY special tool into the connector and connect the positive and negative battery connectors to their respective battery terminals.

4. Turn the ignition key to ON using your original key. The immobilisor indicator light should come on and stay on (if it starts flashing after 10 seconds there is a fault in your system).
    5. Now disconnect the positive battery connector for 5 seconds before reattaching it to the battery terminal. The indicator should now come on for 2 seconds then begin to flash repeatedly four times. This indicates the system is now in registration mode. At this point all previous keys except the one in the ignition have cleared/cancelled from the ECM memory, so if you have any extra spares they will need to be re-registered.
    6. Turn the ignition to OFF and remove the original key. Put it a couple of meters away from the bike so it doesn't interfere with the transponder in the new key.
    7. Insert the new key and the ignition to ON. The immobiliser indicator light should come on for 4 seconds then begin to flash repeatedly four times. This indicates the system has registered the new key. Success!
    8. If you have any extra keys you want to register, repeat step 7. Don't put the original key you started the process with in as its already registered.
    9. Once you have registered your spare key/s, turn the ignition to OFF, remove the DIY special tool and reconnect your CKP sensor.
    10. Now check all your keys start your bike.

Good luck!

(insert usual disclaimer here - this worked for me, but i cannot guarantee you have the same soldering skills that I have in making this tool and/or that your regular key cutter might ruin your transponder key or something weird like that, so follow my guide at your own risk and don't come looking for me if you fuck up your bike as I don't take any responsibility.)

Pics re-added here
    Last edited by Flamedance; 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM. Reason: made some stuff a little clearer
    Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
    Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Great write-up, mate
    I was always under the impression it was a complicated process that required a special machine to encode the keys.
    FTP

Comment

Brilliant info, cheers!

That will suddenly make bikes from auctions etc more attractive.
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Just need to make sure you have at least ONE original HISS key though...

Comment

Wow awesome stuff!

My 954 only came with one key, I wonder if this will work for it?

Comment

thanks guys. Since I already made the tool now and I know it works, if anyone is in the area and interested in coming over for a beer and key fitment, that can certainly be arranged.

You bring the beer and pre-cut keys.
            Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

I would most certainly buy you a carton

I am googling atm to see if this works for the 954.

Comment

I think a carton is a very fair price to pay considering.
                I always thought it was a big, involved job due to the costs involved, now I know it's just a blatant ripoff by The Honda shop, I'd much rather see the money/beer go to a PSBer.

Comment

Originally posted by Satan1 View Post
                  I am googling atm to see if this works for the 954.
                  I got the first part of these details interpreting some photos from the net, the second part from trial and error (doh!) and the last part out of my Haynes repair manual.

Do you have a repair manual for your 954? It might tell you the steps to take for your immobiliser and if the special tool part number is the same, it should work.

Comment

Yeah I have the Honda service manual in pdf, Looking at it though I can find any info relating to the immobilizer or keys in general. I might need a haynes. I will have a thorough search when I get some time today.

Edit: looks like I might have a US manual (they didn't come with hiss)
                    Last edited by Satan1; 26-08-2009, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Satan1 View Post
                      Yeah I have the Honda service manual in pdf, Looking at it though I can find any info relating to the immobilizer or keys in general. I might need a haynes. I will have a thorough search when I get some time today.

Edit: looks like I might have a US manual (they didn't come with hiss)
                      you might also be able to check your key type, etc if you have your owners manual. They are available to download from the honda website in pdf if you don't have one.

This is how I realised that I had the wrong key when i first tried this.

Comment

Ahh ok cool, I found this
                        Special tool : Part No. 07XMZ-MBW0100 or 0101
                        which supposedly relates to the 929 and 954 but I will try to find something concrete.

I have the owners manual at home so no problems there.

Comment

Also, not sure what year this started, but 08 bikes that have the ignition barrel removed, you can wrap the hiss key in a rag, and stuff it under the tank - as long as its near the pickup part
                          Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

good stuff drifter I will do this

Comment

Awesome write-up drifter.. I've seen this procedure explained several time on several forums.. yours is definately one of the better ones..

IIRC.. you can only register 4 keys in total..
                              After that you will need to replace the HISS gizmo..
                              Norm
                              Its a Tour not a Race - Just don't get in my way when I'm Touring.

OzVFR.net MGP Tipping Mews News

Comment

Working...
                              X