Installation of SPY 1 Alarm from www.dubsindustries.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of SPY 1 Alarm from www.dubsindustries.com

As you know Dubs of Dubs Industries are selling the SPY2-m5000 2 way alarm and are priced well in the market.

However, he also sells the SPY1 alarm selling at $35 and asked me if I'd do a write up after installing it on my bike.

This could cater for those that have a bunky bike, are on a low income or who is a tight arse due to family (or other) commitments (like me).

Components of the SPY1 alarm

One of my aims whilst installing the unit was to make it easy to swap or remove the alarm unit with minimal soldering and rewiring required (should I need/want to).

So I made up a wiring harness that will stay with the bike and most importantly be able to reattach the ignition coil wires easily if I remove the unit and vice versa.

Tools required (by me) -

Guinea Pig

Wiring Schematic

Alarm kill-switch wiring

Example of soldering and wiring (indicators) pretty much the same for other wires.

At the end of the wiring harness I have attached an 8 pin connector that will plug into the alarm wiring harness.

Home made wiring harness taped and secured

Photos of where I stored the alarm and the siren will be posted later as I forgot to take picks of this step....

**PICS TO COME**

Buttoned up the bike and gave it a test.
    The alarm is loud especially in confined spaces - as my young son soon found out when I told him to stay off dads bike.
    Locator, arm/disarm and shock sensor functionality all work a treat.

What does not currently work is the remote start functionality. The reason is the IC Igniter/CDI is wanting a 9 volt current to the grey wire after the ignition switch but it was delivering a 12 volt current.
    A diode and a resistor may assist in ironing out the issue but my level of electrical knowledge is not that high to go down this road just yet - any help would be appreciated.
    Well it is a carbie bike and the remote start may not be possible from what I have read so far on the interwebz.
    If you do not want the remote start functionality at all then you do not have to use the blue and brown wires.

There are a few noted differences between the one I have and the newer batch of the SPY 1 alarms that Dubs currently has in stock:

* Change in remote keys (appears better quality)
    * Change in alarm brain box (smaller)
    * Plug and Play Arm/Unarmed flashing LED (you can choose to use the LED or not)

FYI: This is my first bike and I was very cautious about removing the tank and fairings, once I started it was easy, just take it slow.
    Once I had all my tools and the fairings and tank were off the install took under 1 hour.

My opinion:
    Overall a quite inexpensive and effective alarm that is likely to deter any opportunists in nicking your bike.
    It may also lower your insurance premiums.

Good Luck

Matso
    Attached Files

Additional photos as requested.

Thanks for the write up Matso.

Dubs
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice write up Matso.
      Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
      For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Nice one, mate.

It's not as scary as you first think, is it? Once you get into it, it all just sorta falls into place.
        2006 Yamaha R1SP;
        In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
        Amen, brother. Amen.
        My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Taking the bike apart was the daunting part as well as reading the wiring schematics for all of this to work.

It doesn't help when one is so anal about getting it right the first time.

Matso

Comment

I was riding home tonight (whilst lane splitting up to the lights!) when my bike died. No splutter/cough, nothing. Once i negotiated my out of the traffic on foot and got to the side of the road, i had a quick check of the basics but nothing to see. Waited a couple of mins then tried starting it again and away it went, for about 300mtrs then stopped again but heard a few beeps from the alarm with the ignition stilled turned on. I then checked all the alarm connections i could get to (still nothing to see) and it started again and it made it the rest of the way home without a problem.
            I am now super paranoid about it happening again. And no i didnt have the remote in my pocket like last time
            Is there something specific i should be looking for in the alarm system that MAY be the cause? Has anyone else had something similiar happen?
            Why me? I was being overtaken when you had the radar on me!!!

Comment

Matt, you free on Saturday for me to come and have a look?
              Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
              For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

Thanks ... qewl thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattpack View Post
                  I was riding home tonight (whilst lane splitting up to the lights!) when my bike died. No splutter/cough, nothing. Once i negotiated my out of the traffic on foot and got to the side of the road, i had a quick check of the basics but nothing to see. Waited a couple of mins then tried starting it again and away it went, for about 300mtrs then stopped again but heard a few beeps from the alarm with the ignition stilled turned on. I then checked all the alarm connections i could get to (still nothing to see) and it started again and it made it the rest of the way home without a problem.
                  I am now super paranoid about it happening again. And no i didnt have the remote in my pocket like last time
                  Is there something specific i should be looking for in the alarm system that MAY be the cause? Has anyone else had something similiar happen?
                  Hope this is fixed now Matt

Comment

Yeah, done quite a few Ks since that happened and had no probs since. Will see what a dose of water at the bikini wash does to it on Saturday.
                    Why me? I was being overtaken when you had the radar on me!!!

Comment

has anyone installed the dubs security alarm on a hyosung?
                      this yellow ain't so mellow

Comment

Originally posted by xafae View Post
                        has anyone installed the dubs security alarm on a hyosung?
                        I have looked at the wiring for the hyos and done a diagram for Dubs. If your bike has an EFI this poses other issues in how to intall the alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by Matso View Post
                          If your bike has an EFI this poses other issues in how to intall the alarm.
                          my bike is 07, so no efi. would i be able to obtain a copy from you or dubs??

Comment

Is this it Sumo?

Dubs
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dubs View Post
                              Is this it Sumo?
                              sumo?

it hyosung 2007 GT250R

Comment