CWTK O’Briens rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWTK O’Briens rd

Just want to know if there many cops and/or speed cameras on O’Brien’s rd? Keen to check it out and open up the old girl a bit. Cheers
    Born to ride forced to work

Pretty much every weekend when you consider how many go up there to "open the old girl a bit".

Most corners are littered with the shards and broken plastics of little motorcyclists who couldn't. So in the spring and summer months it's a handy little cash cow (sorry safety area) for the Police.

Used to pretty good, then Peter Brock killed himself up that way and to add to the Police you also have any number of flannel wearing bogans wobbling around the place in their shitbox Commodores and Falcons getting in the way, running wide into oncoming traffic and dropping wheels onto the gravel pulling some back onto the road.
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Do a recon run of it before truly going WOT. If you've never done it before there are a few corners to watch out for and gravel can be a problem in some spots.

To answer your question, yes the police have being showing interest in the road. More so recently in the warmer months. Sometimes you can go and enjoy it while other times they seem to 'crack down' on the spot. Another reason to do a recon run before.

Comment

Thanks fellas, I’ll take all that advice on board. I think I’ll make this run a recon ride as I’ve never been on the road before. But knowing me I’ll end up giving it a bit at some point lol. Hope it’s not the wrong point lol. Aw is that road brocky died on? I’ll have to stop and pay my respects for sure

Comment

Originally posted by CbrRider81 View Post
          I’ll have to stop and pay my respects for sure
          Nah, not really... fucker ruined a road that many didn't even know existed.
          Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
            Nah, not really... fucker ruined a road that many didn't even know existed.

Dude... he was me race car hero. Just never knew the road he died on. But it does suck that his death has killed it for us riders. Either way I’m stopping and paying my respect to an absolute ledgend of a racer (car wise)

Comment

In over 30 years of riding O'Briens I have seen cops probably 3 times...

Never been stopped...

The corner Brock died on is probably the corner that catches a lot of people out, going from the Midland end to Toodyay end...

It is the only corner that has ever caught me out, and that was in my early days of riding the road...

30 years ago you could ride it very hard and worry about nothing except the occasional farmer pulling out in front of you...

Now you have to watch for WRXs and Skylines coming the other way on the wrong side of the road, and HOG rides taking up the whole road at the speed limit...those fuckers don't like being overtaken...

If you go out there look at Google maps first and find a few of the other choice roads in the area...

There are some really good corners if you know where to look, though you will have to go through some average bumpy corners to find them...

Comment

I actually hold a speed record through those roads!
                I have done them numerous times at 4 - 6 KPH...
                I spray the road verge for weeds 2 - 3 times a year.
                The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
                G T

Comment

Do a greenmeanie country run and you’ll forget all about OBs
                  Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by CbrRider81 View Post
                    Dude... he was me race car hero. Just never knew the road he died on. But it does suck that his death has killed it for us riders. Either way I’m stopping and paying my respect to an absolute ledgend of a racer (car wise)
                    Fair enough... if you're heading from Midland to Toodyay, i.e. East, his memorial is on the left hand side of the road, after a down hill left hander (which is the corner he crashed on). It's on a slight up hill with a small carpark. The road changes names from O'brien to Clenton some 15km in from Toodyay Rd, until you get to a T-intersection where you turn right onto Berry Rd which takes you back to Toodyay Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Peter+Brock+Memorial/@-31.7104683,116.085678,12z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x2a32cbe5d92de44b:0x15d899af eff994e6!2sO'Brien+Rd,+Western+Australia!3b1!8m2!3 d-31.7560152!4d116.1263623!3m4!1s0x2a32cc8c2e29e0d3: 0xe73c19ff66892f42!8m2!3d-31.713749!4d116.1546922

Comment

Originally posted by Green Trident View Post
                      I actually hold a speed record through those roads!
                      I have done them numerous times at 4 - 6 KPH...
                      I spray the road verge for weeds 2 - 3 times a year.

So how does one acquire a job like yours ? Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough... if you're heading from Midland to Toodyay, i.e. East, his memorial is on the left hand side of the road, after a down hill left hander (which is the corner he crashed on). It's on a slight up hill with a small carpark. The road changes names from O'brien to Clenton some 15km in from Toodyay Rd, until you get to a T-intersection where you turn right onto Berry Rd which takes you back to Toodyay Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Peter+Brock+Memorial/@-31.7104683,116.085678,12z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x2a32cbe5d92de44b:0x15d899af eff994e6!2sO'Brien+Rd,+Western+Australia!3b1!8m2!3 d-31.7560152!4d116.1263623!3m4!1s0x2a32cc8c2e29e0d3: 0xe73c19ff66892f42!8m2!3d-31.713749!4d116.1546922

Thanks turbo appreciate it. I’ll be going from midland end

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
                      Do a greenmeanie country run and you’ll forget all about OBs

That’s sounds fun... still doing O’Brien’s though has I’ve never done it and have to pay respects to a racing legend

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post

Never been stopped...

The corner Brock died on is probably the corner that catches a lot of people out, going from the Midland end to Toodyay end...

It is the only corner that has ever caught me out, and that was in my early days of riding the road...

30 years ago you could ride it very hard and worry about nothing except the occasional farmer pulling out in front of you...

Now you have to watch for WRXs and Skylines coming the other way on the wrong side of the road, and HOG rides taking up the whole road at the speed limit...those fuckers don't like being overtaken...

If you go out there look at Google maps first and find a few of the other choice roads in the area...

There are some really good corners if you know where to look, though you will have to go through some average bumpy corners to find them...

Fucking rice burners. Thanks for your input rich appreciate it

- - - Updated - - -

I take it that it’s not the actual corner he died on ?

Comment

Yep, that 90 degree left...

The tree he hit, which had claimed a number of lives before his, was cut down...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post

Never been stopped...
                            To be fair never seen police out there myself... which to be honest is extremely fortunate as I would have been doing Current Affair worthy speeds. I have though seen Ambulance training there once, which would have guaranteed the most rapid response should something go wrong, So I gave it a fair all crack that time. Weirdly one of the fastest laps I had ever done was with Maya on the back, true out of body experience for both us, we were hooking it.

Sadly I have also had to dig out 4 PSBer's and what remained of their rides from the scenery. Plus another 2 pre-PSB days. People tend to lose their shit up there for some reason.

Comment

Here's some light reading on PSB about Obrien Rd.

https://www.perthstreetbikes.com/for...rchid=10512349

166 Threads on the place.

Comment

Working...
                              X