Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loop Around Tasmania

G'Day

Off tomorrow to go and do a loop around Tasmania.

Will go via Esperance this time as going via Kalgoorlie is getting very tiring , mind you having breakfast at the pub with topless barmaids serving at 7:30am is an interesting sight.

Any eastern staters with some inside knowledge on the sights to see on the way back would be very appreciated. I am catching the ferry on the 5 October so will not spend to much time being a tourist on the way there but am not due back to work for six months so I have a fair bit of leeway on the return leg.

Cheers
    Rodney

but am not due back to work for six months so I have a fair bit of leeway on the return leg
    arg.. you suck.. .. but at least you will be back when I am due to return to THAT dredded office.

Safe travels.... ps.. I dont want another.. I CRASHED email stay away from big birds this trip!

Comment

Yeah WSS^^

Have an awesome trip Rodney! I'm hoping to be back home in TAS over Chrissie and I'll probably have one of the bikes with me, so I'll be doing a similar trip.

As for you Miss C - You've had quite a holiday from that dreaded place already!
      "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

Have a good trip rodney

Comment

There are sooooo many roads up through the Great Dividing Range which will blow you away...

Worth getting a hold of the HEMA "Australia Motorcycle Atlas", my version is a few years old ISBN 1-86500-236-4 but shows nice bike rides all over the place.

10 to get you started - there's a fair bit of ground covered and a fair amount of backtracking involved to do them all

1. Cooma - Khancoban via Thredbo and Tom Groggyn, then Towong to Albury via Granya
          2. Bairnsdale - Falls Creek via the Great Alpine Rd
          3. Falls Creek to Albury via the OLD Keiwa Valley Hwy (runs up the east side of the river parallel to the new road)
          4. Whitfield to Mansfield on the Powers Hwy
          5. Marysville to Warburton via McMahons Creek
          6. Melbourne to Alexandra via Healesville
          7. Meeniyan to Wilsons Promontory (and back!)
          8. Great Ocean Rd (of course )
          9. Dunkeld to Horsham via Halls Gap (the Grampians)
          10. Heaps of nice riding around the Adelaide Hills and from Melrose to Pt Augusta
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
            There are sooooo many roads up through the Great Dividing Range which will blow you away...

Worth getting a hold of the HEMA "Australia Motorcycle Atlas", my version is a few years old ISBN 1-86500-236-4 but shows nice bike rides all over the place.

10 to get you started - there's a fair bit of ground covered and a fair amount of backtracking involved to do them all

1. Cooma - Khancoban via Thredbo and Tom Groggyn, then Towong to Albury via Granya
            2. Bairnsdale - Falls Creek via the Great Alpine Rd
            3. Falls Creek to Albury via the OLD Keiwa Valley Hwy (runs up the east side of the river parallel to the new road)
            4. Whitfield to Mansfield on the Powers Hwy
            5. Marysville to Warburton via McMahons Creek
            6. Melbourne to Alexandra via Healesville
            7. Meeniyan to Wilsons Promontory (and back!)
            8. Great Ocean Rd (of course )
            9. Dunkeld to Horsham via Halls Gap (the Grampians)
            10. Heaps of nice riding around the Adelaide Hills and from Melrose to Pt Augusta
            I love Granya Road and the Great Alpine Road.
            I should be on the Great Alpine Road over Christmas myself, only down side is i'll be on a blackbird

Have fun.

Comment

Damn that sounds like a nice ride find time to go via main North rd when heading south through SA much better than the Freeway and then find "Lower end Gorge" In Adelaide (I think hats right) I missed it on the way back and it get you through to Hahndorf It's on my list of roads to do next time. Apparently according to a nice local I met whilst fueling up On the way back from Melbourne the trick is to do it in 12mins or less.

In four years time when NZ host the Rugby world cup I want to take a month of to ride up and down the land of the long white cloud But before that I want to do PI in two years time again maybe I can squeeze in a week in Tassie... Mmmm...

Comment

Have a great ride, get back safely.

Envious
                www.redbackgraphics.com.au www.crazybitchracing.com www.speedeventseries.com www.letmecheckmygafmeter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney View Post
                  Any eastern staters with some inside knowledge on the sights to see on the way back would be very appreciated. I am catching the ferry on the 5 October so will not spend to much time being a tourist on the way there but am not due back to work for six months so I have a fair bit of leeway on the return leg.
                  I hope you mean 5th November :S

Hope you have fun

Comment

Finally made it past the border, damn its a long way to get out of WA.

I went via Hyden and Esperance and am now in Port Augusta. The ride to here is interesting in the vastness of the landscape but the roads are very straight, the tyres are not square yet but the edges have not seen use for a very long time. Hope to fix that when I get out of Adelaide and have eaten lots of sauerkraut and sausages in Handorf.

Thanks for the list of roads, when I get some proper internet access (30 minutes for $5), I will print them out and get a map book. I havent any maps at the moment as I find in Australia the road signage is very good.

Went through a massive dust storm yesterday and have to find somewhere to give the bike a wash. The dust was so thick the visor was all covered over and I had to slow down and get passed by the road trains. Then a slight rain turned up which turned everything into mud.

Send an update when I finally get some cheaper internet access.

Cheers
                    Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by rover View Post
                      I hope you mean 5th November :S

Hope you have fun
                      Oops, might have to strap that paddle wheel onto the back wheel :-)

Comment

Hey Rodney

Thanks for the update, glad to see your still upright n avoiding nasty birds.

I cant believe you just up and take off around this country without any hesitation, lucky lucky bastard!

Safe travels

Comment

Originally posted by cowasaki View Post
                          Hey Rodney

Thanks for the update, glad to see your still upright n avoiding nasty birds.

I cant believe you just up and take off around this country without any hesitation, lucky lucky bastard!

Safe travels
                          That was a quick reply.

I have uploaded some photos that can be accessed via Picasa Web Albums - rodney - Tasmania Trip

Cheers
                          Rodney

Comment

nice photos mate
                            makes me wanna go on a long long long ride

Comment

G'Day

Havent done an update lately due to the crappy internet here.

Have road around the East coast from Bridport to hobart and then up through the middle to Deloraine and over to Stanley, from here I road down to Strahan and am back to Hobart tomorrow.

The roads here have to be ridden to believe amazingly winding with great scenery. The only downside is you need to be very alert for the log trucks, Tasmania seems to be in a mania about woodchipping everything in site.

Yesterday I did some dirt roads from Stanly to Strahan (got lost and turned off at the wrong place). The road is made of silica and is white, the bike does not look to dirty with this stuff but it sure as hell is dirty. Also does funny stuff when it gets wet, as silica does.

Again the roads are bloody amazing, I dont thing I have ever done as many tight corners in my whole life.

Keep well and stay away from the cars.

Cheers
                              Rodney

Comment

Working...
                              X