PSB Dive - ON TOMORROW!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSB Dive - ON TOMORROW!!!

UPDATE- 15th December refresher dive. See post further down for details.

This came up a while ago, and due to the weather it died a quiet death.

Now the weather's lovely and it's time to start thinking about diving again for all you fair weather bubble blowers.

The club I'm with (UWA Underwater Club) is starting its 2008 membership year on Dec 1st, and so joining up now is the best value for money you'll get all year.

Given the number of people who haven't dived with the club, and who haven't dived over winter, I'm looking at having a Robb St dive morning. We'll meet at the clubrooms at UWA around 09:00, grab gear and head down to South Fremantle where we will have a nice dive along the remains of the jetty (very pretty site). There are barbecues at the car park and I'd encourage anyone coming to bring some meat etc for lunch after the dive. Then back to the clubrooms, wash down the gear and head off for the day.

Last one of these was enjoyed by all who attended - so if you feel like an easy dive to get into the season, then post interest here.

More information on the club.

$100 for membership. Unless you're a member you can't do a hell of a lot with us, due to the insurance issues that go with diving. You must have a dive ticket (at least open water) to become a member. If you want to learn, the UWA Recreate programme offers courses which use our gear and boat, and include a year's membership to the club in the course fees.

$30 to hire BC, regs (most of our hire regs have Suunto Cobra or Uwatech Aladdin computers) and two tanks for a day.

$40 will get you to Rotto for two dives on a day trip with a stop at Thompson Bay for lunch/beers at the Quokka arms.

We have trips aplenty coming up including - Busselton (Swan and Jetty dives) for Australia day. Key Biscane late Feb. Rotto long weekend March. Albany for Easter. And on it goes.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

hey cap'n
    i am looking to get my open water ticket at the start of summer. do you have any more info on the courses? costs etc.
    pm me if you wanna keep your thread "clean"

Comment

very nice plug cap't
      i need to get back in the water myself, have been living the hermit life... spitale

Comment

holy snapping duckshit, spit - there's a surprise! Perth is too damn small

And, folks, course information for Open Water can be found at
        UWA Sports - Scuba Diving - Open Water
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Any ideas how hard it is to renew your Diver's ticket? I let mine lapse a bit (like 9 yrs or so!). I qualified at 14 on a PADI junior ticket which meant at 18 I was suppose to re-sit or upgrade or whatever, but I didn't bother when I only dived up North and had all my gear. Now because I would need to hire gear I need to get my licence sorted so I can legally hire etc etc . . . any idea if I have to do the whole course again or just re-sit a refresher etc?

Comment

Hey Neroli, I'll forward your question to our instructors but I suspect you're going to have to restart the process. Either that or you automatically upgraded at 18.

Yeah, I know - real helpful I'll find out.

Comment

OMG!!
              IM IN!! Where do I pay? Whens the first dive? Are they on Saturdays or Sundays??

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                Hey Neroli, I'll forward your question to our instructors but I suspect you're going to have to restart the process. Either that or you automatically upgraded at 18.

Yeah, I know - real helpful I'll find out.
                Thanks

Comment

Okay, for those of you who don't want to wait for the Robb St dive (which could admittedly be a little while off)...

The club has gear available for hire to members any time for use on the shore or your own boat.

Our boat goes out whenever there's a skipper and at least 7 other divers ready to go.

Process is simple - any time from Monday before the weekend you want to dive, you call our hotline and book yourself a day (either day). If the dive coordinator gets the numbers and a skipper, you get a call confirming your dive on the thursday night.

The night before our boat dives we get together at the clubroom to sort out gear and load tanks onto the truck.

The day of the dive, we all meet at Fremantle Sailing club and get going. At the end of the day we head back to the clubrooms and unpack, then head home.

Our clubrooms are at the back of the UWA Tavern (in the heritage brick 'cowshed'). They're open from 18:30 to 19:00 with a roster volunteer every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night - plus the night before and of any public holidays.
                  You can just turn up at these times with your dive card and $100 (sorry no ATM) - it costs about half that if you're a full time student and have paid your amenities fee at UWA. Tell 'em Starfish sent you.

More details at UWA Underwater Club - The best SCUBA Diving Club in Perth, Western Australia (WA).

Comment

Capt'n, are you gonna get $10 for each one of us who signs up?!

Comment

Shhhh

Actually, I'm trying to work out a way whereby PSBers will get the $10 as a credit yourselves.

Comment

Simon

Already spoke about this one. I will definitely join up as I am about to get my dive certificate

Let me know how I go about getting money to you and becoming member

Comment

Which reminds me where should I book in for medical. Must do this today

Comment

Megs: read the posts above where I point out how to join, you lazy sow.

Dive medicals: I've sent the query to our instructor, hopefully she'll get back today.

For anyone else looking to join a course, you can't go to just any GP - they must be qualified/certified in diving medicine.

Comment

Okay Megs: check on SPUMS - Home for a list of diving doctors.

Sorry, Neroli - no answer on yours yet and our instructor is about to take off for a month so you might be better getting in touch with a shop or PADI themselves to find out.

Comment

Working...
                              X