long trip june/july 08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long trip june/july 08

well im planning on doing another 'little' ride again in about 6 months time, this time though the route will be

perth - laverton
    laverton to uluru (great central hwy)
    then up stuart hwy to aileron rd house (just south of tennant creek)
    tanama track to wa (want to see wolf creek crater)
    then back home via the west coast

dont want to hear the questions of why etc etc just something i would really like to give a crack

so is anyone else stupid enough to want to give this a bash too?

the major hurdle for most people will be the 800k+ fuel range needed in places, have checked a couple of places and can get a fuel drop so 400-500 will do in reality probaly
    Last edited by Falcore; 12-12-2007, 09:24 PM. Reason: cant friggin proof read lol
    Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Whats your timeframe on this trip? I would be interested but will be cruisin through Alaska May-Mid June. After that would be interested.

2x12's on the road could be fun too!

Comment

Originally posted by Flamedance View Post
      Whats your timeframe on this trip? I would be interested but will be cruisin through Alaska May-Mid June. After that would be interested.

2x12's on the road could be fun too!
      Yeah 2x12's would be funny to watch on those roads...

Like they are dirt, and rough dirt at that...

Comment

you're doing this on the road-trail right??
        Have you won the game recently?? Post here

Comment

lol at taking the 12, if i had the money to buy a new one when i get back i definately would take the 12 but unfortunately it isnt sportsbike territory by a long shot

looking at probaly doing it 2-3 weeks but will be taking a month off to be on the safe side so to speak late june early july probaly

yep bunyack will be taking the road trail, it is actually the reason why i bought it, the big plan is to circumnavigate africa in 09 on it

Comment

I am interested in this mad run you have planned. I am looking at buying a 650-750ish enduro early next year so look out for one for me, I have also tentatively booked a month off work and am keen to get organised.

Comment

I too am looking at doing a similar trip next year, want to go see Karijini and El Questro and a few bits and pieces in between. Was thinking of using the ZZR but that means I wont be able to visit El Questro. So I may do what Benny boy has in mind and get myself a big enduro for the task.

Comment

DO IT !!! I am pumped for this trek.

Comment

Heading up to Mitchell Plateau in the troopy next year, not quite sure of dates, know there's gonna be a stop at Karajini and might be able to run support for the early stages if it lines up.

Or at least wander over and sink piss.
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

sounds good starfish

regarding the bike type, i seriously would discourage a road bike doing it. a road trail would be the way to go

and benny sounds good what sort of price range are you looking at? i picked my one up for 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Falcore View Post
                      sounds good starfish

regarding the bike type, i seriously would discourage a road bike doing it. a road trail would be the way to go
                      Yeah sounds good Starfish. Fuel drop and piss drinking stop.

and benny sounds good what sort of price range are you looking at? i picked my one up for 1500
                      I am going to start looking for something around a couple grand. With paniers and long range gear be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcore View Post
                        sounds good starfish

Ideally I would like to make use of something I already own...hence the ZZR. But it doesnt take too kindly to dirt roads. I wouldnt mind getting hold of a Super Tenere or something like that. Something with some decent CC's for eating up the miles but with more than 1 cylinder than a standard off road bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
                          Ideally I would like to make use of something I already own...hence the ZZR. But it doesnt take too kindly to dirt roads. I wouldnt mind getting hold of a Super Tenere or something like that. Something with some decent CC's for eating up the miles but with more than 1 cylinder than a standard off road bike.
                          So, the more the better LOL. I now have 1 for road, 1 for dirt and soon 1 for trekking !

I havnt decided what to get yet tho. Maybe a NX650 or XRV750 which is a twin if my memory serves me right.

Comment

What are the BMW Dakar jobbies going for these days?
                            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by bennysthe1 View Post
                              So, the more the better LOL. I now have 1 for road, 1 for dirt and soon 1 for trekking !

I havnt decided what to get yet tho. Maybe a NX650 or XRV750 which is a twin if my memory serves me right.
                              I already have 2 roadbikes and a car. That's three regos and three insurances per year. NX650 'Dominator' is a single and is basically a bored out and dressed up XR600. The XRV750 is a V twin - I think that's what they refer to as the Africa Twin.

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                              What are the BMW Dakar jobbies going for these days?
                              The 650 or the R1100/1150/1200? An 1100 can be had for around $10K but with stratospheric mileage on it. If I can find one, I can probably pick up a decent Tenere for $5K.

Comment

Working...
                              X