Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perth to Kal and back - tips?

Hi guys,

Just wanted the opinions of some country riders who've done this trip before for someone who hasn't, particularly in the areas of staying alive and fully licensed for the duration of the trip

- Dodgy bits of road? Safety/Plod
    - Stuff to take?
    - Best time to travel?
    - Other tips?

And, of course, if anyone's planning a ride up there soon (lol), awse! PM me!

-s-

Don't ride on dusk and dawn, you'll probably collide with a roo. Aside from that it's a big fuck off straight line ride 600kms east. It's a doddle of a run, nothing to worry about.
    Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Puncture kit is probably on top of the list (w/CO2 canisters or 12V compressor).
      Camelpack/water bottles.
      Make sure there's plenty tread on your tyres.

Can't hurt to do your oil & filter about 2 weeks before going if you're coming up to a service.

Comment

Fuel up at every stop at around the 200km mark. I made over 300, but I don't recommend pushing it so far that you end up coasting into a servo cos the engine died 100m up the road.

Aside from that, it's just a longer than normal run. Check the bike like you always (should) do; oil, tyre wear, coolant. Shouldn't have any problems. don't forget to keep yourself hydrated.

Southern Cross BP, check out the HUGE cockatoo in the cage.
        2006 Yamaha R1SP;
        In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
        Amen, brother. Amen.
        My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

TIP: Dont do it - its too farkin long

Dubs

Comment

Originally posted by spyce View Post
            -s-
            - Dodgy bits of road? Safety/Plod

You will definitely see between 2 to 5 traffic cops on the road each way. Watch out when passing road trains that the on coming car in the distance is not a cop car. The country cops are ruthless on speeding >6kmh will get you ticketed.

- Stuff to take?

A reliable bike

- Best time to travel?

Stay away from dawn and dusk due to roos and emus.

- Other tips?

Find a car being driven by a decent driver who knows how to pass and is sitting on around 115-120kmh and lob in behind them. 115-120 should keep other traffic off your case without aggravating the cops too much.

Dont use a backpack, use pillion and tank bags. the bumps on the road will stress your lower back enough without wearing a pack.
            Originally posted by Bendito
            If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by spyce View Post
              - Other tips?
              Go to the Exchange when you're here and buy me drinks.
              such comment
              wow
              many post

Comment

very boring run and can be done in under 4 hours so someone told me maybe that was a backpacker though
                Is Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Dubs View Post
                  TIP: Dont do it - its too farkin long

Dubs
                  Says he on the PERFECT bike to do kms like that, if it wasn't for the archaic speed limits we have on the flattest continent on Earth.
                  2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                  In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                  Amen, brother. Amen.
                  My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

You'll find the road gets more bumpy once you get past Southern Cross. You're most likely to see cops around Northam and then between Merriden and Southern Cross. Far fewer cops after that. There's roadworks going on at the moment too but nothing to worry a motorbike, occasionally cops patrol these very long (roadwork) speed zones as well.

Comment

Further to Dub's advice - take a plane.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Further o Dubs' advice - take some of your own medicine, i nice warm cup of harden the fuck up
                        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

DONT ride an S1 Buell unless you want blood on ya bum!
                          Real Men Ride Nakid
                          http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

Further to my own advice, come to Kal and buy me some drinks.
                            such comment
                            wow
                            many post

Comment

Thanks for the werdz, guys, esp the cop stuff, hmm...

@Cam - Would do, mate, but only in town one night for a Xmas relly bash

-s-

Comment

Working...
                              X