Suzuki M109R or Triumph Rocket 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki M109R or Triumph Rocket 3?

I'm starting to thing about buying a bike and lately these two seem to be taking my interest. I haven't ridden either yet and won't until I am ready to buy. At the moment I'm reading all I can on them but I guess what I really want to know is what others experiences have been with them.
    I'm sure I would probably be happy with either but it is those "intangibles" that make the difference between a bike you like and a bike you love.

So my question is, what draws you to one or the other?
    Also, if you have one, what has your experience of ownership been like? What things to you treasure about the bike and probably more importantly what things do you hate?

Thanks in advance. V
    Triumph Rocket 3
    52.27%
    Suzuki M109R
    47.73%

What do you want to use it for? If you want to travel the long roads of oz,then the rocket is the go.
    I came back from Esperance last week in 7 hours (740klms),including about 40 mins of rest/refuelling breaks along the way.I got off the bike feeling I could do it all over again.
    The fuel consumption on a 2200 klm trip was 7.1litres/100klms with most of it at 130-140kph.

Of course its all about the power,there maybe a few sports bikes that can beat the R3 in the 1/4 mile. Anyone who reminds me of this gets challenged to "an Adelaide and back race" with a passenger and full camping pack on the back.:grin:

Ive only had one problem and that was the detent spring in the gearbox(which didnt stop me from riding home) Triumph fixed it free of charge 2 weeks out of warranty.
    Triumph have a really great reputation for fixing the occasional catastrophic engine gearbox failure. Some(a very small portion) had gearbox problems and have been fixed,sometimes years out of warranty. All models after 08 have had the uprated bits installed at the factory.

The Triumph suspension is not the greatest,after about 10-15000 klms it will begin to wallow in the sweepers and jolt your ass out of the seat.
    A Progressive 440 shocks and a front spring kit fixed that(about $700 direct from the USA).

Its a heavy bike ,about the same as HD Roadking and you need to be reasonably strong to manouvre it in tight places, it was never really designed to be a commuter.

Tyres for it are not cheap.The rear is about $460 and lasts 10-12000klms,the front is $300 and lasts 15000klms(Ive since found online shops in the US that can do it for about half that delivered to my door)

The service intervals are 16000klms and are about $250 plus parts for a minor and $350 for a major(dont quote me on that).But at 16k intervals its quite cheap

The resale value is not bad,you can still get $16k for a 6-7 year old bike in good condition with 40000klms that probably cost $22k at the time.
    I think they are probably the next best after Harley in this regard.
    thumper humper
    Last edited by thumper humper; 01-04-2011, 09:52 AM.
    Triumph Rocket
    Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
    XT 250 Yamaha
    SYM HD200
    SYM Shark 125

Comment

Based on the riders Ive see I think the best course of action is to weigh yourself.
      If you are a really fat bastard get a rocket
      If you are just a moderately fat bastard get a m109

moX

Comment

I have a 109r but when I was looking it came down to either the m90 or m109. I haven't clocked in too many ks but one of my biggest gripes would be the gearing.
        It's fine till you get to anything above 100km/h. At 100km/h the 5th gear is still doing fine but reach 110 and the bike sounds like it could really do with either a 6th or a taller 5th.

Comment

I reckon that depends on your needs and what you want the bike for? There are a lot of other cruisers outthere that may do the job equally or better. Have you consider the Honda VTX 1800, Kawasaki Vulcan 1700? You know better that anyone else what do you want the bike for, based on that, go and ride all of them and then decide.

Comment

Originally posted by imoXu View Post
            Based on the riders Ive see I think the best course of action is to weigh yourself.
            If you are a really fat bastard get a rocket
            If you are just a moderately fat bastard get a m109

moX
            You re a winner

Triumph Rocket
            Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
            XT 250 Yamaha
            SYM HD200
            SYM Shark 125

Comment

My heart keeps saying "get a triumph. Cool british bike, join bemc, different, powerful."
              but my head keeps saying "Suzuki. Reliable, good looking, mental fast, good handling for a cruiser, cheaper."

My problem is that I still want to do some occasional scratching but most of my riding is highway cruising.

I have tried the M50 and really loved riding it but would get bored with the (lack of) power fairly quickly.

Comment

M109 if i could afford a second bike, its what i would have for cruising around with the Wife. However my preference is to have a custom tail without the pillion seat

Comment

its a very personell thing , you need to ride them both . for me its cruising comfort with a pillion and the torque right from idle on the rocket

Comment

Originally posted by Veefore View Post
                    My heart keeps saying "get a triumph. Cool british bike, join bemc, different, powerful."
                    but my head keeps saying "Suzuki. Reliable, good looking, mental fast, good handling for a cruiser, cheaper."

My problem is that I still want to do some occasional scratching but most of my riding is highway cruising.

I have tried the M50 and really loved riding it but would get bored with the (lack of) power fairly quickly.
                    Dont forget the Rocket does at road and touring version. Me I'd go the Touring version. 2400cc of grunt
                    You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

What about the boulevard touring versions comes in all sizes wind screen white wall tyres studded seat and saddle bags very nice
                      I HAD A BREEZE UP MY SHORTS AND IT FELT LIKE CHRISTMAS!!

Comment

Have you looked at the Thunderbird? A couple of fellas at work have got them and rave about them. The new Storm version looks tits as well.

Can you help with foster care?
                        http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

A guy at work has a rocket III.

He's done a little bit of work to it, has something stupid like >200hp at the tyre. And NOT at 15,000 rpm like a litre bike....

Loud, insane amount of power/torque (wheelspin), he loves it.

Not sure what sort of power you get out of an M109, but I reckon the triple has the stronger motor.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Cbr1k View Post
                            Dont forget the Rocket does at road and touring version. Me I'd go the Touring version. 2400cc of grunt
                            The Touring and R3 are both 2300cc but they have different intakes and a different computer.This gives the R3 about 140hp and the Touring gets 120hp.
                            But the torque figures are bigger for the Touring ,something like 150lb/ft at 2500 while the R3 has about 130 at 3000 rpm.
                            All this is to give the Touring extra power for pillion,camping gear and/or towing a trailer .The R3 is obviously better at drag racing and being a hoon

IMO ,they are both so big and so powerful ,both can do either job(and the Touring can be hotted up for more HP if it's skinny tyre can handle it)
                            Triumph Rocket
                            Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
                            XT 250 Yamaha
                            SYM HD200
                            SYM Shark 125

Comment

Originally posted by Veefore View Post

You seem to have pidgeon holed yourself into two brands. There are other goodies out there called Goldwings and Roadliners/Stratoliners.
                              The new Victorys are also getting rave reviews and I must mention the smoothness of the one I test rode.
                              The 1800cc + class is a crowded one these days.
                              Triumph Rocket
                              Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
                              XT 250 Yamaha
                              SYM HD200
                              SYM Shark 125

Comment

Working...
                              X