The problem with Harleys is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with Harleys is....

Hey, all the Harley bashing that goes on here, I was wondering are they really that bad??

I have owned my Streetbob for two years and 20k kms now and the only time she let me down was when a battery terminal lead came loose.

Other than that, totally reliable, very cheap to self service, and feel good factor second to none.

So speaking from experience HD good. or not so...

The only time a girl has said "Nice bike" to me was when I was riding my brother's Harley.
    -

Comment

PSB was predominatly full of spelling nartzies that rode sports bikes by day and surfed the webs by knight.
      In the web worriers battelcry is a sorrid song of uncle dads tractor that he and betty lou concived my mum ,
      whom I latter married and had three little sprockets of our own.

esencialy tractors are for fucking arround on
      Sports bikes are for rideing in an awsome fassion
      many people on tractors like to play dressups also, its an image thing.
      Sports bikes would rather not be seen when being enjoyed (exept on a track)

Both have two wheels
      But the philosify is as far apart as my spelling is to english
      REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
      (anarchy in english )

Comment

Biggest problem I find with Harley's is the elitist knowall brand name-centric douchebag owners. Obviously not all HD owners are like that, but so so many of them are. I guess they feel so defensive about paying $25-35K on buying a bike that is yesterday's technology and can be out performed in every way by a metric cruiser worth 1/4 the price, especially given most HD owners I've met know so little about bikes. Ask them what sort of motor they have in their bike and they have no idea...

Comment

^^ +1. All about the image. You look like a 'wannabe' if you do the leather chaps and fake patches thing and if you don't, you're not a real HD rider. The 1%ers have all the fun...

Comment

El Skitzo pretty much hit it on the head.

They are substandard compared to any design breif after 1980 and anything that weighs that much should have 4 wheels and a winch.
            Motor performance can be substantial if you use all after market parts, and suspension, well do they have any.

Major improvements listed in the year 2000, twin piston front caliper, and twin cams, still mounted in the crankcase but twin cams.

Common knowledge for Harley owners is that stuff falls off them. If you make it home, it didn't need it in the first place.

Last but not least, under the big USA stamp, most engine components are now made in Asia. ( this is actually a positive thing)

other than these reasons they ARE the best thing since sliced bread.
            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Im on to my second Harley (wanted a bigger one) never had a problem with either one and love every minute of every ride even in the rain.

The worst thing about Harleys is the misconceptions and misinformation of those who have never owned or ridden one.
              National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
                Biggest problem I find with Harley's is the elitist knowall brand name-centric douchebag owners. Obviously not all HD owners are like that, but so so many of them are. I guess they feel so defensive about paying $25-35K on buying a bike that is yesterday's technology and can be out performed in every way by a metric cruiser worth 1/4 the price, especially given most HD owners I've met know so little about bikes. Ask them what sort of motor they have in their bike and they have no idea...
                This isn't a Harley-Centric thing though, there are fanboys for most brands.

Comment

For me it comes down to one basic thing: style over substance.

Some people are cool with that, and love the look/sound/feel of them.
                  I prefer my bikes more functional, so they don't appeal to me.

(I think that's officially the most neutral assessment of Harley I've ever made).
                  For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                  For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I have ridden three, one of them lasted long enough for a decent ride without expiring. The other two were both older, 1 x Shovel head, 1 x Knuckle head so I'll excuse them. Apparently I changed gears too fast for one?

The third was a late model thing and while it was a bike and as such was fun, I did find the handling and power not up to what I was expecting after hearing the gushing over the years from other owners. It was alright on the dirt however. The bloke who owned it was also a dealer and told me he made more money from accessories and servicing (a lot of the owners in the area were not into home maintenance) than he did on selling the bikes.

In saying all this I have ridden with a couple of harley riders who can ride the bloody things rather quickly and would scare the shit out of some sport bike riders out there.
                    Last edited by chew; 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM.
                    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

If someone rolled up to a PSB meet on an old Ducati, Velocette or whatever, people would say how wonderful it was, but it would be even worse to ride than a modern Harley. Many people choose style over function, some have one of each.
                      -

Comment

Like goofy said,

Originally posted by MADOGA View Post
                        The worst thing about Harleys is the misconceptions and misinformation of those who have never owned or ridden one.
                        ^
                        For me the fanboy attitude ruins it.
                        The bashing only exists where fanboys are there to be over protective about pisstaking.

Plus I'll probably never own a harley because i'm not a 1%'er or a born again willing to deck himself out in tassles and silly harley brand only protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                          Like goofy said,

Plus I'll probably never own a harley because i'm not a 1%'er or a born again willing to deck himself out in tassles and silly harley brand only protection.

I dont fit into any of those categorys, dont stop me riding one.
                          National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

The problem with Harleys is....that people think this thread needs to exist.

What's there to prove? If you like them, ride them.
                            Those of us who have ridden one (or many) and are not too impressed will go on our merry way
                            Are you expecting to change peoples' opinions?
                            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I have ridden plenty. And intend on owning one of my own one day. I'll never give up my sports bikes because I love them too much but there's a time where you just want to put the mrs on the back and cruise to a destination with the rumble of a harley in your ears. In short I like anything with 2 wheels (within reason )

Comment

Working...
                              X