Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, this is Australia?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So, this is Australia?


  • #2


    That's the wrong motorcycle for our outback i have known a few guys to ride on gravel roads on Harleys & Ducatis service stations around the country will attest to many breaking down over the last 50 years, old Jap fours with steel frames we're the best i have fond memories of my 1980 XS 1.1 which did more miles on dirt roads than the bitumen loaded with gear!

    This was the best touring bike in 70's - 80's the 1980 Yamaha XS 1.1.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	images - 2020-05-25T164331.336.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	5243972

    Comment


    • #3

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kelly.999 View Post

        That's the wrong motorcycle for our outback i have known a few guys to ride on gravel roads on Harleys & Ducatis service stations around the country will attest to many breaking down over the last 50 years, old Jap fours with steel frames we're the best i have fond memories of my 1980 XS 1.1 which did more miles on dirt roads than the bitumen loaded with gear!

        This was the best touring bike in 70's - 80's the 1980 Yamaha XS 1.1.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	images - 2020-05-25T164331.336.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	5243972
        Ya, was thinking wtf is he doing a trip like that on a big cruiser. Who knows, HD might have given him the bike.
        If they didn't they should send him a pretty big check. I mean, look at some of the comments. You can tell, there's a ton of wanna bees thinking that's the ride. He's got a few thousand followers, subscribers, whatever you call them. You'd think a few might actually go out and buy a Road King.

        I dunno. With that amount of dirt, heck, one of those ADV bikes would seem to be the smart choice. What are they, the Honda Afrikaner, the KTM Duke, the KLR? Dakar bikes. I never got that whole Adventure Bike thing till I saw this.

        That being said, given the choice, if I ever did the cross country thing here in the US, I'd hope it would be on a big dresser. Not a freakin beemer. Not a Goldwing. Na. I do that, I'd want to join that unwritten club. Be one of those guys that have been doing it for over a century. The Atlantic to the Pacific, and back.

        On a Harley.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Grado View Post

          Ya, was thinking wtf is he doing a trip like that on a big cruiser. Who knows, HD might have given him the bike.
          If they didn't they should send him a pretty big check. I mean, look at some of the comments. You can tell, there's a ton of wanna bees thinking that's the ride. He's got a few thousand followers, subscribers, whatever you call them. You'd think a few might actually go out and buy a Road King.

          I dunno. With that amount of dirt, heck, one of those ADV bikes would seem to be the smart choice. What are they, the Honda Afrikaner, the KTM Duke, the KLR? Dakar bikes. I never got that whole Adventure Bike thing till I saw this.

          That being said, given the choice, if I ever did the cross country thing here in the US, I'd hope it would be on a big dresser. Not a freakin beemer. Not a Goldwing. Na. I do that, I'd want to join that unwritten club. Be one of those guys that have been doing it for over a century. The Atlantic to the Pacific, and back.

          On a Harley.
          I remember when the goldwing first came out in Australia around 1976 they were a large heavy bike fast and smooth back then.

          A guy i knew with the same first name in the late 70's jumped on one and crashed on the first corner he came to leaving the pub, he had a few and asked the owner for a quick ride he died a few hundred metres from the pub in full view a sad day really i never really liked them after that.

          There were not many big bore bikes around for gravel road touring in Australia in the 70's to early 80's so we just rode big jap fours they were tough could handle large loads and were reliable, bmw had a few good bikes as well in particular the R90/S & R75/5.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kelly.999 View Post

            I remember when the goldwing first came out in Australia around 1976 they were a large heavy bike fast and smooth back then.

            A guy i knew with the same first name in the late 70's jumped on one and crashed on the first corner he came to leaving the pub, he had a few and asked the owner for a quick ride he died a few hundred metres from the pub in full view a sad day really i never really liked them after that.

            There were not many big bore bikes around for gravel road touring in Australia in the 70's to early 80's so we just rode big jap fours they were tough could handle large loads and were reliable, bmw had a few good bikes as well in particular the R90/S & R75/5.
            ya, losein a friend like that sucks.....

            Eh, you guys rode 4s in the dirt just like our guys rode big vtwins back in the 30s.
            Some of the younger guys can't believe it, but that's how it was.
            I find it kind of cool really, almost admiral. Today, everything is so specialized. Ah screw it, I'm not going there.

            Hey, the vid, that guy has a few out there. Eye openers for a yank. I've learned a few things about life over there.

            Fizzy drink we call soda. If yer native West Virginia, It's pop. You can't park a Harley and be wearing a Harley leather jacket in lot of the bigger cities without the man messin with you. Bitumen is asphalt.
            It gets freaking hot. It can get real remote real easy. Not a lot of trash anywhere.
            And people are not really all that different from over here.

            Comment

            Working...
            X