Gilly's '82 GSX250 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilly's '82 GSX250 Project

I've been on here a little while and thought it would be a good time to throw up some pics of my "82 GSX250 project bike.

I picked it up from a wrecker in Sydney for $700. Motor wise it's sweet with 126PSI in each cylinder and only one slight oil leak on the cam chain tensioner. The body work needs some work and it has a few little dints in the tank.

I've since ordered some pod filters and some new mirrors for it.

I plan on painting it silver and grey but I'm still unsure on the design just yet. The front guard will be trimmed down to look a bit better and the rear section will stay as is for the moment.

The tank is now part way through being filled and primed.

When I got it.

I pulled the tank off and stripped it.

I plan on losing the side covers so i had to fill the spot where the covers clipped on.

All tacked up and blended

How it looks with the tank on it. All of the electrics will be moved and the tabs will be cut off.

Current Rides
    '68 G15 Matchless 750
    '82 Suzuki GSX 250 Café

Best of luck with the build dude.
    Wounds Heal, Bones Mend, Chicks Dig Scars and Glory Lasts Forever...

Comment

yeah nice looking bike mate, best of luck with it. cool dog too, the mrs would kill for one of those little fellas!

Comment

Cheers fellas

Brethren we have three of them

I ripped out the airbox and moved the electrics today. I think i will end up moving them again as i don't really want to see them but it looks a lot better already.

I've been sanding the filler on the tank and it's almost ready for priming. I just had to fill a low spot.

Current Rides
        '68 G15 Matchless 750
        '82 Suzuki GSX 250 Café

Comment

What Colour scheme you going with, looks pretty cool with the bare metal look already.
          Just removing the body work and tidying up the tail and this and that will transform this bike.
          Someone told me you can paint chrome these days. Just a thought.
          Wounds Heal, Bones Mend, Chicks Dig Scars and Glory Lasts Forever...

Comment

I would like to leave it bare metal but the tank wasn't in good enough condition to do so. I'm thinking that the design will be mostly metallic silver with a gun metal grey strip running down the back of the tank. The spray chrome would be cool but I don't think it's cheap and I haven't got the proper spray gear here to do it.

I think I will change the exhaust too. Hopefully I can mod the stock one to make it into a 2 into 1 and then wrap it in black exhaust wrap with a new chrome muffler.
            Current Rides
            '68 G15 Matchless 750
            '82 Suzuki GSX 250 Café

Comment

Nice work so far Gilly, will be a good look with a 2 in to 1, tank looks great with tabs patched, I love to see stuff outside the box, it's what this site is all about isn't it.

Comment

Thanks tbird.

Hopefully I can get the tank sanded and primed Monday morning after work if I'm not to tired then I can move onto tidying up the rear section and sort out what I'm doing with the rear light housing.

I might even make a start on the exhaust.
                Current Rides
                '68 G15 Matchless 750
                '82 Suzuki GSX 250 Café

Comment

pretty cool pics....what year is the bike and how long have you had it?

Comment

It's an '82 model. I've only had it a few weeks as I bought it with the intention of modding it.
                    Current Rides
                    '68 G15 Matchless 750
                    '82 Suzuki GSX 250 Café

Comment

The tank is in etch primer!

I'm not entirely happy with it but a little more work and it'll be sweet

Current Rides
                      '68 G15 Matchless 750
                      '82 Suzuki GSX 250 Café

Comment

Some more pics.

I made a start on my 2 into 1 exhaust too.

Current Rides
                        '68 G15 Matchless 750
                        '82 Suzuki GSX 250 Café

Comment

Hey Gilly just notices your current rides, so jelous of the G15 Matcho, I would love an Enfield Interceptor but I'll finnish the Tbird first then wish for a lotto win.

Comment

Cheers mate. The matchy I still in Canada but hopefully I can get it out here in the next few months. I'm keen to take it for a run. The commando is my oldmans, we picked up both for $9500

Current Rides
                            '68 G15 Matchless 750
                            '82 Suzuki GSX 250 Café

Comment

Nice score $9500 for both, you got a much bigger pool of bikes to choose from over there though!
                              BTW would you be in Maitland South Australia?? I am originaly from Kadina, not that far realy, but living in Sydney for 30 years now. The family still live there so I get down there every now and again. There are some nice bike roads down the York peninsula.
                              PS. I see the Matchy marks it's territory like any Brit bike worth it's salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X