07 CBR 600 trackbike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 CBR 600 trackbike

I bought a repairable writeoff a couple of weeks ago through JB performance and couldn't fault the attention given by John.

NOW, the fun bit of finding out what is actually buggered on the bike, so far left front fork is bent, front axle bent, radiator is bent, I'm ... oh wait.

So these items are on their way here courtesy of Ebay.

I guess I'm hoping theres someone out there who would know what parts can be swapped from an 04 CBR 600 to an 07 CBR 600.

Putting the two bikes side by side, you can see the changes, for instance, the water pump inlet/outlet on the 07 sticks out whereas its fairly flush on the 04, this makes the fit for my vortex rearsets very tight on the 07.

I'm hoping the axles and rotors fit. The clutch lever was a straight swap, but unfortunately the 04 doesnt have radial brakes/master cylinder.

I'll get pics up as things come together, but right now its just a stripped down, dirty bike.
    Last edited by Ozboy; 02-04-2011, 07:13 PM.
    07 MV F41000R
    09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
    07 CBR 600RR trackbike
    sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

Awesome Stirls, I'm excited for you! Can't wait to see you back on the track, it's been way too long!

Comment

Awesome news stirls... If you ever need a hand just call me

Comment

There is a thread all about the compatability of different models on Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

I also have service manuals and prats microfiche from Ron Ayers if you want copies. The rule is, if Honda has a different part #, it won't fit.

It'll be good to see you out again Stirls. I can't believe the wife allowed it! lol.
        EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Ooh, nice one, thanks Josh. My wife must either love me or hate me to allow me back out on track mate. ^_^ After the last off, she made me double my life insurance.

Anyhoo, the radiator and levers arrived today, took the old rad off and the engine was disgusting, looked as though it had never been cleaned in its life.

The levers were from Taiwan, I was a little skeptical about them at first, but putting them side by side with what was left of the OEM levers, they are pretty smart looking.

SO, after degreasing and a liberal spraying of the good ol RP7, the engine, frame and swingarm came up a treat.

I'm happy with the condition of the rad, being second hand, I expected it to look a little more "used"

Cleaned and ready for a new radiator.

The Vortex rearsets are a tight fit, I've since taken off the black connecting rod from the rearset to the 90* junction and replaced it with the vertical connecting rod from the OEM gear slector.

The OEM vertical rod is around 50mm shorter than the black Vortex rod and allowed me to drop the angle of the junction, thus allowing more room between the junction and the cooling system hoses.

Red arrow indicates the black Vortex rod.
          White arrow indicates the vertical rod.
          Blue arrow indicates the junction.

The knuckle of the juction is hitting the pipes here, since changing the rods around, there is plenty of room. And yes, the vertical rod has since been straightened.

Does anyone know if this fork can be straightened?

The radial brake lever fitted well and I'm just hoping they cast aluminium well in Taiwan. The clutch lever from my 04 is on the bike at the moment, I might just leave it on and have mongrel levers.
          Last edited by Ozboy; 05-04-2011, 07:52 PM.
          07 MV F41000R
          07 CBR 600RR trackbike

Comment

Good to see Stirls! When I get some more money together, I probably go down the same road as you...I just need a thou to get me around the track...lol...
            SP RACINGis supported by:
            MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
            Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
            Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Good work Stirl. Glad you picked up a later model CBR...even if your extensive collection of spares doesn't fit.

Comment

Stirls,

You can always use the standard gear lever. You just remove the Vortex lever and replace with a spacer. The standard set up is more direct. That's what Cam and I did with our bikes. I can cook you up a spacer if you like ... but I'd need the Vortex to measure.

Scott
                I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
                2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

Stirls, with the Vortex on my thou, I went straight onto the 90 degree lever on the selector shaft. I did away with the the vertical rod altogether. You can spin the gearlever on the footpeg, so the rod runs above the footpeg directly to the selector shaft.

I would say, the forkleg is beyond repair...
                  SP RACINGis supported by:
                  MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                  Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                  Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Great to see your project up and running Stirls.

The bike is coming along mate, looking good. Remember I have gauge loom sitting here for you.

Keep up the pics mate, I'm definitly learning a thing or two.

John.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I was looking for a "how to GP shift pattern" on the CBR 600 forum, there were are few ways to setup your shifter. Like Stephan has pointed out, his thou goes straight from the rearset to the spline on the gearbox, others use the standard linkage and only use the rearset for the peg.
                      It looks as though the link to the spline needs to be turned around 180* to achieve a GP shift pattern.

The setup I have may work, but turning the linkage on the spline 180* will cause the vertical rod to rub on the cooling system hoses. Guys on the CBR 600 forum have moved the hoses out and forward a touch, then zip tied them into position. Thats something I will be looking to avoid.

I'm thinking of cutting the hose at the location marked by the lightning bolt and re-routing it forward and around the underlying smaller diameter hose and of course using a length of conduit to make up the shortfall. This eliminates the need to use zip ties to hold the cooling hoses away from the linkage. As well as being unsightly, theres no guarantee the zip ties will hold their ground with the amount of vibration experienced at high speed.

Radiator fitted and running on destilled water, no leaks evident, very happy about that. Althought the thermo fan bracket is hard against one of the headers, I may have to take the thermo off.

For a cheapy, this brake lever fitted perfectly, $25 for both levers inc postage from Taiwan. :o

07 MV F41000R
                      07 CBR 600RR trackbike

Comment

Oz I ran race shift with that setup and didn't cut or tie anything.

Undo both link arms at the centre pivot/bearing (near the bottom of the hoses) and rotate the pivot 90 deg clockwise. Attach the shaft that runs to the splined lever to the pivot at the 3 o'clock position. Attach the shaft from the gear lever to the pivot at the 6 o'clock position. That gives you race shift.

You will need to piss about with adjustments with shaft length to get the clearance right and you may need to use washers to gain clearance.

Check your peg setup. That looks like you have it a long way rearward.

Comment

^^
                          Brilliant Neil, I remember you mentioned something about setting up GP shift and it only takes a couple of minutes. Once done and working, I'll post up in the CBR forum, those guys are gonna vomit when they see how much easier it can be. (courtesy of you of course)

The pegs are at the same location from my 04, I'll bring them forward a notch if need be.
                          07 MV F41000R
                          07 CBR 600RR trackbike

Comment

Watch those OEM shift linkage rods too Oz. They are soft as shite so when i switched my to gp shift I bent them badly. The extra force of a down upshift will bend them. Especially when you have them spun all the way out like that.

I fould a spare vortex foot lever the other day too. Can't remember what side it's for but you can have it if you like.
                            EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

^^

Cheers Josh, hope to catch you at the track , every spare comes in handy.

I noticed the shift rod was bent on the 04, maybe they're designed to be restraightened after bending, hence the softness?
                              07 MV F41000R
                              07 CBR 600RR trackbike

Comment

Working...
                              X