KaMbO's CB750 Custom Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KaMbO's CB750 Custom Build

Hi everyone thought id start o hare some of my ideas and issues with this build. I was planning to leave the build thread to i was a little while in as its def going o be a long term project for me rather than a 1 month turn round. But due to this being my first ever foray into bike mechanics i thought id better get some pics up so i can get some help off the more knowledgeable people that reside on this site.

So heres what im starting with a 1982 CB750F DOHC i believe if anyone can better instruct me that would be good. Picked this up frm ebay for 300 bucks a few months back really by accident i wasnt even looking for a project bike at the time but when it came across so cheap i just couldnt resist.

Originally the plan was to Cafe the bike but after doing some net surfing i came across Cafe racers, custom motorcycles and bobbers i have seen some of the most incredible works of art on this site and in particular a couple of bikes that fit my theme perfectly.

So this is the general direction im heading although im hoping to have the bike in a much different color scheme something similar to these i hope. I want no chrome at all and mainly blacks, greys and possibly some copper plating on parts for something a little different.

Okay so heres the first part ive stripped down the frame and opened up the motor so far the cams look in great nick and the head is off somehow there is sand in the cylinders on top of the pistons so a thorough cleaning is definetley required. Im looking to get my heads sent of and refurbished to check all the valves and everything are in good nice so if anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

So my first thoughts are to get the engine done as i think it will be the most costly. While thats being done ill be tracking down some comstar wheels for the bike. Sanding back and fixing the tank and working on a new seat pan. Id like to get the bike fully mocked up before i start painting anything but im extremley impatient so it will be a true test for me.

If anyones got any ideas or recommendations for parts, services feel free to post them up.

Kambo, for your engine work talk to Gavin at GD Engineering (on this site) or Morrie at Motorcycle Masters.
    There are so many suppliers of cafe parts for CB750's you'll be spoilt for choice. Let me know if there's specific parts you are looking for and I'll send you what links I know about.
    Andy

Comment

Good Luck with the Build Mate.
      I prefer the cafe look over the bobber, but hey. To each his own.
      I'll be watching with interest as I have an old 72 CB750/four that one day will get a going over.
      Wounds Heal, Bones Mend, Chicks Dig Scars and Glory Lasts Forever...

Comment

Hi Kambo,

Will be keeping a keen eye on this thread: seems we're headed down similar paths!

Comment

Originally posted by kambo1987 View Post
          While thats being done ill be tracking down some comstar wheels for the bike.
          nice build, should be cool. what wheels are on it at the moment? aren't they a similar style to the comstars anyway?

Comment

Good stuff, looking forward to this.

About to start on our next garage project SOHC CB750.

Himalayan Heroes W E B S I T E , F A C E B O O K

Perth Cafe Racers F A C E B O O K

Comment

What diameter are your front discs, and how many bolts do they mount to the hub with (5 or 6)? Just hit a snag swapping out my Comstars for spokes and wondering if the f callipers might fix it. You may hit the same problem going to Comstars...

Comment

not sure mate. if i get a chance this week ill measure it all up for ya.

Comment

That'd be great. I got my spoked wheels built and trued, but the discs on the spoke wheels are 296mm diameter: the ones on the Comstars are 275mm. When I tried to mount the callipers the extra diameter meant it wouldn't work. So if yours are 296mm diameter (which google tells me is the case) if you still want the Comstars we'll have to swap callipers or we'll both be screwed! If not then there'll be a delay on getting your hands on the Comstars until I find another fix!

Comment

i was the one bidding against you on ebay mate... sorry about bumping up the price.

good luck with the build. also may be interested in your wheels if your selling.
                    i ride em like their stolen (once their warmed up of course)

Comment

Hey man, good luck with the build! If you ever need a hand from someone else who also has zero bike mechanical experience, I'd be glad to help

Comment

Haha no worries badger more than welcome to come round sometime for a beer and have a squizz at the new house

Comment

Got that ruler working yet???

Comment

Nice CB750, especially the tail unit.

Listen with sound off as music is ear bleedingly bad. 3m - 3:40 is ok

Himalayan Heroes W E B S I T E , F A C E B O O K

Perth Cafe Racers F A C E B O O K

Comment

Working...
                            X