No announcement yet.

CB250N - Yes another CB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will have a look for you today Screaming TE.

Need advice on this..

Should these 2 parts be.... 1 part? If not they are rusted together solid, but the bearing is still smooth itself. If they are 1 part then I have no idea how to get the front axle out? Help?

Comment

Awesome mate! If you an wait till tomorrow, I'll have a look at my workshop manual. I'd say they would be 2 separate parts though.

Comment

Got these mate, either one doesnt bother me;

paint is cracked but there are no cracks in the plastic, and reasonable condition.

I also have 4 LHS panels haha. all spares that I got with my second bike.

Comment

Hi Vosy,
          I must have had about 6 or 7 CB250Ns in my early days on L and P licences in Vic. Ended up throwing most of them down the road or ploughing 'em into cars at some stage or another.
          I was a faster rider than I was a learner in hindsight!
          Reliable bikes but heavy, handle like a barrow of wet cement, shit brakes and spaghetti frame but good commuter if you're not trying to pretend you're Freddie Spencer. Used to be common as dog shit in the 80s and cheap. The oil drive chain you showed in a previoos pic should be OK I remeber thinking that it looked too loose myself in those days but was never a problem.
          Regards the clutch: why dont you leave that till later and see how it works once the motor is going and the chain is on ?
          Same with the front wheel. If the bearing is OK and the wheel spins freely why not just wait till it starts to play up ? Both of them are easy fixes further down the track. Anyway good luck with it!
          "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it," she once said, "unless I'm thirsty."
          Madame Lilly Bollinger

Comment

Originally posted by non_quotidiun View Post
            Hi Vosy,
            I must have had about 6 or 7 CB250Ns in my early days on L and P licences in Vic. Ended up throwing most of them down the road or ploughing 'em into cars at some stage or another.
            I was a faster rider than I was a learner in hindsight!
            Reliable bikes but heavy, handle like a barrow of wet cement, shit brakes and spaghetti frame but good commuter if you're not trying to pretend you're Freddie Spencer. Used to be common as dog shit in the 80s and cheap. The oil drive chain you showed in a previoos pic should be OK I remeber thinking that it looked too loose myself in those days but was never a problem.
            Regards the clutch: why dont you leave that till later and see how it works once the motor is going and the chain is on ?
            Same with the front wheel. If the bearing is OK and the wheel spins freely why not just wait till it starts to play up ? Both of them are easy fixes further down the track. Anyway good luck with it!
            Thanks for your advice mate Really appeciate it.

I have left the clutch and oil pump drive chain alone basically due to funds, but your right - if it aint broken dont fix it The thing I really want to know with the front axle is if it supposed to be solid onto that inner ring, as there was quite a bit of rust around it.

If it is supposed to be solid like that, I have no idea how to get the axle out. If it isnt supposed to be like that, I still have no idea.

I would like to grease everything up while I'm here to

I'm doing this up for a commuter to, just with a personal twist...

Comment

I'd say the axle certainly should drift out. Penetrene from Repco or Kroil (you'll have to get from US on Ebay but worth every penny), would help to seperate the axle from the bearing.
              "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it," she once said, "unless I'm thirsty."
              Madame Lilly Bollinger

Comment

Ok I'll give the Penetrene a shot. Cheers mate

Comment

two piece, find some one with a hyd press and push it out gently and you won't damage the axle.

Comment

The wheel deal.

This is when I had just started on the front wheel, As you can see 1 set of spokes have been done and the outer rim.

The person who owned this bike before me had painted over these beautiful rims, but it seems to of preserved it. After a bit of a go with some wet & dry I noticed the paint was pretty easy to get off, So I went and grabbed some paint stripper.

I was pretty impressed at how well it came up, after the paint stripper was washed off I gave it a quick go over with wet and dry and left it at that.

The Rear wheel was a whole different story, I now know why they painted these things...

The bottom one is 1 hour of my work with a couple different grades of wet and dry.

The top is what the whole wheel looks like at the moment, I think they might of gone way overboard with a wire wheel on this, its pretty bad.

I figure that they did the back wheel like this, then gave up and just sprayed the front without any prep.

I have alot of work ahead of me

Comment

And this is the effort of my week, Top photo shows the side I havent done yet

And this is my work on sanding and polishing (spokes only as the rest will be painted)

Pretty pleased with the result. 1 more side to go.

Comment

So this is how the front wheel has turned out, I still need to clean the lines up but I am happy with how it looks.

And this is how it will look with the disc (not cleaned / painted yet)

Happy with the results, 1 more to go.

Comment

Looks good mate. I was thinking of something like this for mine, keen to see how they look on the bike.

Comment

Looking good mate, and I totally agree about the sandblasting. Definately worth taking it to the powdercoaters. They sandblasted and powder coated my frame, swingarm and lotsa other bits for all-up $160. Definately worth it.

Comment

Cheers guys. And definately lesson learned with the stripping and painting. Next one will be going to the blasters / powder coaters for sure.

Comment

wheels look great good work

Comment

Working...
                                X