No announcement yet.

CB250N - Yes another CB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a look at the CMS wed site that Henrys put up and there is a pic of a new sprocket in the parts list under the rear wheel schematic, it shows what the profile of the sprocket teeth should look like. Yours looks to be worn by about 1mm or so on each tooth, I have seen a lot worse but my advise would be to replace it. If you look carefully at your sprocket you can see (I'm only going from your photo here) that some of the teeth are starting to get a wave affect at the tip this is caused by the tooth being worn out by the chain. It's up to you and I know it's an extra expence but if your keeping the bike then do it, you'll get twice the life or more out of the chain with new sprockets, just don't be shy about oiling the chain (chain lube) and you'll be rewarded with a smoother quieter ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Vosy View Post
      It looks worse in the picture, I thought the sprocket was actually ok though, the brown isn't rust its just stained that's all. But I certainly ain't no expert, but thought it had some meat left on it? Waja reckon?
      I had a look at the CMS wed site that Henrys put up and there is a pic of a new sprocket in the parts list under the rear wheel schematic, it shows what the profile of the sprocket teeth should look like. Yours looks to be worn by about 1mm or so on each tooth, I have seen a lot worse but my advise would be to replace it. If you look carefully at your sprocket you can see (I'm only going from your photo here) that some of the teeth are starting to get a wave affect at the tip this is caused by the tooth being worn out by the chain. It's up to you and I know it's an extra expence but if your keeping the bike then do it, you'll get twice the life or more out of the chain with new sprockets, just don't be shy about oiling the chain (chain lube) and you'll be rewarded with a smoother quieter ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Vosy View Post

This dancer has new shoes
        They turned out pretty nice man, I'm doing up a cb750f at the moment and origanly hated the wheels, but maybe I'll give them a second look. If i can get them looking that nice I'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbird tracker View Post
          Yeah you might be right mate. I will try and take a better pic of the sprocket today. If this is what it SHOULD look like then it might even be the wrong sprocket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41200-442-505-sprocket-driven_big41200442701-02_0ec3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	4896817

I was going to leave the general maintenance until after I get it on the road, as I think I will get a little bit more life out of the sprockets, but you have a point with it chewing up chains.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyredneck View Post
            They turned out pretty nice man, I'm doing up a cb750f at the moment and origanly hated the wheels, but maybe I'll give them a second look. If i can get them looking that nice I'll be happy.
            Haha cheers mate, it is a bit of an amateur job, but I definately have an amateur budget So we will see how they hold up and if in the future I want something a little bit different I will get them powder coated.

Give it a shot mate... a bit of spit and polish and you will be surprised

Comment

So I didnt realise until I put the rear wheel on just how bad my swing arm was. Here is a picture of a before and after (top is after) of me trying to straighten it.

Its not 100%, its actually not even 90%. Im not sure where to go from here though as I dont have the tools or experience to straighten the frame.

Where do I go from here???

Comment

Haven't got a spare swing arm?

Comment

I do but I was hoping for a different option. Plus as far as I can see I think its the top half of the frame that is slightly twisted. The other swing arm is off my other bike which was going to be my next project.

Comment

I think ive got a spare swing arm mate. Let me know if you want it and ill have a look for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Screamin TE View Post
                      I think ive got a spare swing arm mate. Let me know if you want it and ill have a look for you.
                      Yeah mate if you like I will swap you that cover + some cash your way if you have a spare swing arm.

Comment

• I definitely have a swing arm there. I'm happy with a straight swap mate. I'll be back on Friday so I can dig it out then and we can go from there if you want?

Comment

• Originally posted by Screamin TE View Post
                          I definitely have a swing arm there. I'm happy with a straight swap mate. I'll be back on Friday so I can dig it out then and we can go from there if you want?

Sounds good mate, appreciate your help

Comment

• A big thanks to Screamin TE for the swing arm, it is all painted now and I should get it re assembled today.

I'm starting on the carbs today to, if anyone knows what the idle screws should be set at could they post it up? As I would like to have a solid starting point and tune from there

Pics to come soon.

Comment

• Something I did while waiting for paint to dry. My throttle cable was completely seized, and I saw this trick on someones thread here.

Filled a little bag with lube which I cable tied to the top of the cable.

Next morning I checked on it and the lube had ran all the way through, and the cable was free and easy

Comment

• And this is how the bike is standing at the moment.

I finally put the stainless steel allen bolts on to replace the existing casing bolts. Finally feel like Ive made some real progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X