88 & 90 ZX10 projects ! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 & 90 ZX10 projects ! :D

Ok so I figure instead of clogging up the mods/technical forum with questions each time I find a bolt left over, I simply create one topic here covering everything.
    Bit of back story-
    I bought a 90 ZX10 from a PSBer a few months ago. Complete bike, took a bit of work to get her running but now she runs. All good.
    I also bought an 88 ZX10 from my old neighbour who looked after it very well, except for when he binned it. Fairings are a bit messy, carbs are screwed but other than that all good. I think. I haven't been able to get it running just yet, as the carbs are missing. This one I want to get back to stock, factory paint, factory everything. Just a nice, clean bike. The other will be my thrasher toy. Or I might get bored with it and sell it later. Who knows.
    310418_262180760495483_100001106844043_732472_377536436_n.jpg
    This is the red one. I've since put everything back onto it except the fairings at the front, sides, exhaust (took it off) and carbs obviously.

Questions and updates will follow!
    Last edited by SIKYSA; 21-03-2013, 08:08 AM. Reason: title change!

First question!

Will the licencing guys get shitty if I make my own chain guard out of sheet metal/similar and paint it black or something?
    I found one on ebay but they want $100 (made out of steel... overkill) so was wondering if anyone has done something like this before? I have the other bike complete that I can use as a template... or scavenge from... but I'd rather keep the other complete!

Comment

Originally posted by SIKYSA View Post
      First question!

Will the licencing guys get shitty if I make my own chain guard out of sheet metal/similar and paint it black or something?
      I found one on ebay but they want $100 (made out of steel... overkill) so was wondering if anyone has done something like this before? I have the other bike complete that I can use as a template... or scavenge from... but I'd rather keep the other complete!
      i recon you could !

now the $64 question is , how long will it take to make+ the cost of materials?

its gotta look semi-professional .

what do you get paid at work? $16, $18, $25, $60 ? [an hour]

times how many hours its going to take plus the primer and paint and see were you end up.

$100 for an ebay one might seem an economic proposition.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by potato View Post
        i recon you could !

now the $64 question is , how long will it take to make+ the cost of materials?

its gotta look semi-professional .

what do you get paid at work? $16, $18, $25, $60 ? [an hour]

times how many hours its going to take plus the primer and paint and see were you end up.

$100 for an ebay one might seem an economic proposition.
        But that takes the fun out of it I guess it depends if its a restore or custom?

Put your own personal touch on it I reckon, if you can avoid buying parts and can make your own then do it.

Comment

Ok. So I'm seriously considering buying the ebay one. I tried messing around making one today. I gave up.
          Also, the guy I bought the wrong carbs from is refunding my money. Which is good. ... I could use that money to buy the chain guard... hmmm...
          I put on the exhaust, radiator, etc so now just need the carbs. I'm taking it to Kawasaki to do the forks, new tyre, possibly a wheel bearing. I have new brake pads that they'll put on for us... then she'll be sweet!

427756_311311872249038_100001106844043_861665_212369380_n.jpg

Comment

Couple of questions- when re-licencing a bike, are there any issues with the windscreens being black/heavily tinted?
            Also- the rubber boots coming from the back of the front brake master cylinder and clutch are split and not staying on properly. Will that be an issue? Should I just source some cheap second-hand ones from another bike?

Comment

Not usually an issue with the dark screen, not like you look through it anyway, but if they are in a foul mood they can more or less ping you on anything. With the chain gaurd, have you tried locally at the wreckers, they are often very reasonably priced. You can get something similar in shape and modify mountings to suit. Shouldnt be too hard. Rubber boots coming from back of master cylinder and clutch, which bits are you talking about here?

Sounds like you havent been through the licencing process before, you could get the bike all perfect and pass first time, but in general most fail the first time, the inspector goes over with a fine toothed comb and will give you 'the list' of what wants attention. Second inspection they just look at those items and nothng else. Many people use the first inspection as a guideline for what needs doing for the second 'proper' inspection. Up to you how you approach it though, ask around for the local 'nice' place to get it inspected, some are more picky than others
              If its got tits or wheels, it going to give you trouble.

Comment

Awesome thanks for your advice! Yeah I haven't been through this process before... I'm simply working to a brief in my head to try and get things completely stock and shiny
                As for the rubber boots- they're the 'covers' that protect the brake and clutch lines as they enter the reservoirs on each of the levers

Comment

o_0 Covers to protect the reservoirs at the levers? Most bikes dont have covers on the lines, the brake line enters the reservoir with the banjo bolt. I just zoomed right in on the photo you posted and see them now, what a wierd setup! They are certainly not any legal requirement, personally i think id bin them, but if they are intact and you wanna keep them, id pop a dab of silicone or the like from the inside, glue it in pplace to the brake/clutch line itself, that ought to hold it in place.But it certainly wont fail the pits for them not being there, or for them being a little loose. If there is room at the base of them you could just try a small zip tie even, just to tighten them up a bit?
                  If its got tits or wheels, it going to give you trouble.

Comment

I think i have a set of carbs if you're are interested?

Comment

I think i have a set of carbs if you're are interested?

Comment

Ok, so I recently purchased another 90 zx10. (I have 3 now! :/ But I'm selling one of them. The black one.)
                        Anyway, runs fine (has a cam chain click... should I worry?) but the main thing at the moment is after running it for a while then turning it off, oil drips from below the water pump. Maybe 10 drips. Then stops. Would that be one of the gaskets ?

Comment

Update! Yay!

So I've stripped the parts from one of the bikes and sold the other. I'm now down to one bike. The red one at the top of the posts.

I've got her running and pretty much mechanically back together.
                          Couple of problems- She's very hard to start. As in, if I leave her sit for a few weeks I have to spray carby cleaner into the intake for her to ignite. The fuel is fine, the fuel filter is new and the pump does work. The carb sliders/diaphrams etc all seem to be ok.
                          Once I've got it running for a bit she can be turned off, start back up again etc no worries at all.
                          So I'm wondering where I should look to fix the hard start/fuel supply/ignition issue.

Secondly- How. The. Fuck. do you get old, hardened plastic airboxes back onto the f*cking carbs. FFS.

Thirdly- I used to live next door to the person I bought this off. It used to be his bike. I didn't get any 'receipts' for the purchase of this wreck from him. Do I need to go back and get something from him in order to eventually get this licenced again?

Finally- It has a hydrolic clutch. I was doing some work on the engine cover (It had a bit missing where the chain sliced through it. I braced it and puttied it back in. Dodgy but will go over it properly soon) and had the clutch cylinder out. I think all the fluid went from the hydrolic assembly some how? Clutch is very loose and hardly moves the cylinder. Is it a simple flush and bleed ?

Thanks!

Comment

Anyone? No ideas about the above questions?

I was working on it some more the other day and am afraid that after leaving her sit for so long I may have gummed the carbs up. She stalls under throttle now. Didn't used to... So I should clean the carbs, right? I've found carb re-build kits online for about 100 bucks delivered with floats, needles, washers etc. One of the choke sliders is a bit sticky too... Is it worth my time? Or should I get a mechanic to come do all of it so I can work on getting the plastics and everything back to factory/nice and new ?
                            I really want to get this last mechanical pieces sorted so she runs nice and smooth, I can start her up each week and get down to the business of repairing/re-painting everything back to stock

Comment

Hello once more fellow mechanically minded persons of this fine state and country.

Query. Here is a video of the project as of two hours ago.

http://tinypic.com/r/oiy3c/6

It was bogging down under throttle, wouldn't idle without choke and was generally running shit.
                              I pulled the carbs off, cleaned them best I could (though I couldn't get one of the jets out on each carb and left them in there) and it's much better than it was. I also changed from 95 to 91 ron. I balanced the carbd today with a home-made balancer and it seems to have helped.

Watch the throttle response. It's still bogging a bit. How do I fix that? Pull the carbs again?

I also replaced the temp sensor (and rounded a nut in the mount, drilled it out and fucked the thread. Lets hope it holds) as well as a few other things. Currently I'm getting some factory decals made up by BlackFZR from here and have Q-Bonded most of the cracks in the fairings I'm using to replace the shattered ones. I have two weeks off at the end of this week and am hoping to pretty much get this ready for clear coat.

Still have to do the fork seals though and probably need new rotors.... How do they measure the width of the rotors? I have a digital micrometre thingy but there's a lip on the front rotors so it give a bad reading. Are they non-serviceable?

Anyway, let me know what you think about the bogging down. Cheers

EDIT- my carb balancer:
                              IMAG0033.jpg
                              Last edited by SIKYSA; 18-11-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X