88 & 90 ZX10 projects ! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm tackling one issue at a time.
    I've gone through the carbs again and now it will idle, rev and all that other stuff pretty sweet. Still a little off, but eventually I'm going to get a proper mechanic to give it a proper tune. Not a transmission fluid vacuum gauge tune.
    My question is whether the bike should be able to potter along a flat road in 4th gear at 60km/h on its own and not require any throttle input from me. That's not right, is it? Idle screw perhaps? It idles at around 1700rpm and tends not to like anything below 1500rpm. Any ideas?
    I'm going to take her to work tomorrow to clean the cobwebs out some more.

I'm going to tackle the oil leak in a few months hopefully. Have a lot of expenses coming up shortly so it's on the backburner.

Comment

• Well it seems to have stopped leaking oil which is strange. I have another gasket ordered anyway.
      I've also ordered 4 new rubber carb air ducts from partzilla (they say they're available but I'll believe it when I see them) and front and rear wheel bearings with seals from fleabay.
      Don't suppose anyone would have a wheel bearing puller/tool set that I could borrow when they arrive (in about a month)?

The parts bike I'm stripping down. I have most of the good stuff off the frame except a few bits and pieces I'll remove later next week. My question is the engine. I'm going to be keeping the engine and over the coming years working on it, giving it a full rebuild. That's the plan at least. But how do I 'store' it for that long? I'm thinking of making up a dolly with some wheels so I can move it around easily. Or perhaps just go buy a bike lift/engine lift? Should I try and seal all the radiator/intake/exhaust holes etc? Cover it in plastic maybe? There was oil and coolant sitting in the engine so from what I can see everything inside looks ok (besides the valves being covered in oil).

Like I said before- the old girl is registered and rideable but this is long term. She will be mint, and she will be factory.

Here is the spares bike. I still need to remove the forks/rear suspension and swing-arm. Keeping pretty much everything except the frame. 2 of the engine mounts were broken. Whether that was when I took out the engine or like that previous I couldn't tell.

Last edited by SIKYSA; 29-05-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• just read the thread , great job sikysa . i'm in glen forest and ride an 81' gpz 11 . hope to see ya one day .

Comment

• Originally posted by bigsikkle View Post
          just read the thread , great job sikysa . i'm in glen forest and ride an 81' gpz 11 . hope to see ya one day .
          Thanks! I'm enjoying working on her. Every now and then I'll discover something that needs doing, order parts and fix her up. That's why I'm doing the bearings and possibly the trans cover gasket soon.
          I'm moving further up the hill in about a month, so yeah you probably will see me!
          There's a few here that I need to go on a ride with (once I've done these other couple of things to her) so will try and arrange something when the weather is a bit nicer

Comment

• Dump the oil from the engine. Spray the bores with inhibitor. Wrap it in shrink wrap (that stretchy plastic they use for wrapping palletised stuff up) and it should be good for years.
            A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigsikkle View Post
              just read the thread , great job sikysa . i'm in glen forest and ride an 81' gpz 11 . hope to see ya one day .
              Great fun bike.

I have a couple of those...
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                Dump the oil from the engine. Spray the bores with inhibitor. Wrap it in shrink wrap (that stretchy plastic they use for wrapping palletised stuff up) and it should be good for years.
                Any particular type of inhibitor is best? Should I spray the intake/exhaust ports as well ?

Comment

• I've always used LPS 3. Works a treat. Forms a a soft, almost waxy surface that sticks. You can spray it on your valves and in the ports too. Just check on it every couple of years and respray as required. When it comes time to uninhibit, just wash it down with a bit of petrol and a rag.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    I've always used LPS 3
                    LPS 3 it is then. Where did you get it from? I've been searching online but have only found that the Australian importer is a Singaporean company with no website??

Comment

• Western Airmotive or Aviall at Jandakot Airport will have it by the can.

Comment

• Hi there and well done with the project. These things tend to have a domino effect and it seems you have covered most areas. I have 2 of these bikes , one stock and one nowhere near it. Embrace it's "oversized" handling characteristics..... a bit like taking Moby Dick for a ride around the block, but there is just something about them that puts a smile on. I read in your recent posts that fueling was a bit hit-and-miss on it. CVKD Keihins and BDST Mikuni's have a history of fuel level "criticalness" (as does any carburetor )....... Shrinkage of the tip of the fuel seat needle is one thing that may cause intermittent low and moderate throttle opening richness. The other one is fuel level ..... if the fuel levels are high, idle will be inconsistent with engine temp and usually the pilot airscrew will be relatively unresponsive to any adjustment. Due to it's age, I'd strongly recommend replacing ,at least, the needles and seats and setting the fuel levels correctly ( around 3mm below from memory ) I recentlly replaced the needles/seats on my ZZR1100 due to needle shrinkage and had a really positive result. After a year or so of use , the fuel levels had all crept up due to settlement of the new parts resulting in the fuel levels becoming too high. Once sorted, it was a different bike in the idle to 1/4 throttle range. Just for your interest, 1mm float height adjustment will yield around a 3mm fuel level change. The more time you spend getting this right , the better the result will be on a street biased bike. I won't go into details of how you'll know it's right other than looking for smooth throttle transition at part throttle opening and "off-throttle"cruising. The 88-90 ZX10's also love a little more ignition advance ( around 2 to 4 degrees ) on a stock motor..... They will snap a little better on the throttle. The 25 year old coils and leads are easily replaceable with a modern stick coil setup which also improves idle quality and fuel economy. Keep a really close eye on cylinder leakdown as they will suffer inlet valve seat regression with time....... make sure you keep your valv clearances at the maximum end of the range on the inlets especially to ensure a longer life out of the valve. A leakdown test would be a really good piece-of-mind thing to do. Inconsistent idle can also be a result of excessive leakdown ..... The other thing to be aware of is a weak camchain tensioner ( rattles ) and the same with the alternator chain tensioner.... Both relatively easy fixes. If you want to fix the hole in the midrange power that ZX10's/ZZR11's all had, it can be achieved with some camshaft timing changes..... When done right it turns them into unicycles when you crack the throttle at low speed .Overall , great bikes.... I've had one since '89 and it's still going strong
                        Last edited by GD Engineering (Gavin); 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM. Reason: Type-o

Comment

• Pity I don't get to ride it much anymore
                          Last edited by GD Engineering (Gavin); 03-06-2013, 06:41 AM. Reason: Doubled up

Comment

• When will we see the Turbo Kwaka apear restored or a tread about it?
                            You know which one I am talking about, Gav.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                              When will we see the Turbo Kwaka apear restored or a tread about it? You know which one I am talking about, Gav.
                              Hiya Bert . Been steadily collecting nos parts when I can find them and I've got a fair stash put away now. Certainly, there's enough to do the lions share of the resto but 28 days straight/91 hour weeks with rotating shifts kills the urge to do anything on the bike on my week off..... Recently , I've had the urge on R&R but other commitments come first or get in the way whether I like it or not. A couple of swings like that and half a year goes by..... . My goal with each of them has changed a bit though.... The one that was on the bench is going to be a better-than -factory resto and mongrel the other one. Can't wait to get it happening though

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                              When will we see the Turbo Kwaka apear restored or a tread about it? You know which one I am talking about, Gav.
                              Hiya Bert . Been steadily collecting nos parts when I can find them and I've got a fair stash put away now. Certainly, there's enough to do the lions share of the resto but 28 days straight/91 hour weeks with rotating shifts kills the urge to do anything on the bike on my week off..... Recently , I've had the urge on R&R but other commitments come first or get in the way whether I like it or not. A couple of swings like that and half a year goes by..... . My goal with each of them has changed a bit though.... The one that was on the bench is going to be a better-than -factory resto and mongrel the other one. Can't wait to get it happening though

Comment

• 4&1 swing,.... that is doing it HARD!

Comment

Working...
                                X