88 & 90 ZX10 projects ! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See if it still bogs down with the air box fitted - it may be OK

Edit: oops, went by pic not video. Carry on.
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Well, actually, the air box is just sitting on there. I can't get the boots back over the carbs. I've ordered 4 new ones from the US from PowersportsPlus (they have heaps of parts.... a lot are discontinued though).
      I was going to buy wintergreen oil and bathe them for a while to soften them, but this is $10 more expensive than the oil and they're new. Win for me!

So you think the air box will fix her up?? I can't try it out proper until I get the new boots

Comment

I do think it will make a difference. You can't remove the top cover and the air filter element to get the boots on helping push from the inside of the air cleaner?

Comment

Nah, I tried everything. They will go over the top, then when you try the bottom they pop back out.
          The rubber is not rubber anymore. I liken it to a melted stapler that has since re-hardened. Completely. Fucking. Useless.

Comment

I have heard that soaking hardened rubber parts in brake fluid makes them nice and supple again?

Comment

Yeah I heard that too. Did a lot of research and found that oil of wintergreen and Xylene was the way to go.
              Problem is, all the aromatherapy hippy pricks think it's ok to pay $8 for 50ml for wintergreen oil. F*ck that. I found new boots online for $60. I'll avoid all the foul smelling oils and go with new rubbers
              Last edited by SIKYSA; 18-11-2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

MUST MUST have the airbox on the carbs or you get what you have.

Comment

Well I'm pleased to know that it may be as simple as attaching the airbox properly! This bike has sat for the best part of 7 years before I started working on it. The airbox had been removed, the old carbs binned, while the body was pretty much stripped to a frame and engine.
                  My old man (the bike is in is shed. I don't have a shed) keeps shaking his head at me. I'll show him though! By the end of it I will have a nice touring bike I can use for long road trips.

Another query:

What's the best way to lift this bike off the ground to allow service/removal of the wheels/brakes/forks? It doesn't have mounts for spools.... or anything, actually...

Comment

Ratchet tie downs from the roof/overhead?

Comment

Roof is 18ft high. It's a big shed

Comment

Buy some stands use them on all your bikes, they are an investment if your into bikes.

Comment

I have a front and rear already... Might be a dumb question... but how do I lift the bike without spools on the rear, or lift the front for the purpose of removing the forks?

Comment

you need some of these: Click image for larger version

Name:	287.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	4899056 Click image for larger version

Name:	416Uzti3W8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	4899057

"L" brackets allow you to use a race stand to lift a bike without spools.

In answer to one of your earlier questions, you will need to have proof of ownership to register the bike in your name. There is a DPI form you can use: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...nceVehicle.pdf

The seller completes their part and that should be sufficient for proof of ownership (or so their call centre recently advised me).

Looking forward to seeing your completed project.
                            my pics

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for that info, exactly what I needed to know.
                              And yes, I'll definietly be keeping things up to date here. It's hard with the hours I work, but I have a bit of time off soon so hopefully things can move along quickly

Comment

easier (safer) option.

run a rod through the rear axle. then use the regular 'fork' type pickups on your stand. normally, the axle has a different sized hole on each side. would pay to chock the rod some so it doesnt lean over.

also, head lift stands are great for the front when you want forks out. just need to know the size pin to fit the under side of the lower triple clamp.
                                The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X