1979 Honda CX500 Brat Project Codename 'Bertha'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Honda CX500 Brat Project Codename 'Bertha'

[MENTION=6583]vbroom[/MENTION], [MENTION=30271]Phantom1500[/MENTION], [MENTION=23685]AndyS[/MENTION], [MENTION=13011]valvolux[/MENTION] and especially [MENTION=16407]Brock32[/MENTION]. I have you guys to thank for giving me the inspiration for embarking on my first project bike.

It's a '79 model Honda CX500. I've chosen this bike as it was Honda's first V-twin and their first liquid-cooled bike. It has a very unique engine configuration. Coupled to a shaft drive and non-spoked rims, this bike will be very low maintenance.

Not one to let others have all the fun, I've thrown myself in the deep end and taken ownership of Bertha... The previous owner had this bike for 12 years commuting from Wanneroo and parking up in Freo while working onboard and sailing The Leeuwin. I put down Bertha's condition partly for being parked up by the ocean. Here are some before photos;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 310 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	4932760Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 311 (Large).jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	4932762Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures 312 (Large).jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	4932763

After a quick inspection, the right fork seal is shot and leaking oil all over the r/h caliper. The H-piece between the mufflers is shot and there's a few rusty spots here and there but all seviceable.

I'm planning a full stripdown to the bare frame, powdercoat the frame and wheels and sandblast the donk. Contemplating sourcing a teardrop gas tank from a 'C' model as well as a 16" rear wheel as opposed to the 18" STD rim to give it a more aggressive stance. Looking to chop the subframe and fabricate a new loop just past the rear shocks. Service the carbs, relocate the battery under the swingarm pivot and a set of clipons and Bob's your uncle.

The Brat Style Inazuma CX and Doc's Chops is the direction that this build will take me. My inspiration;

Name:	G.jpg
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	4932764.

I've built my Fireblade trackbike from the ground up but it hasnt got me anywhere near as excited as this project as this will allow me for a little creative flair....

Wish me luck and looking forward to updating you with the build progress
    Attached Files
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad

A few more inspirational pictures to give you an idea...

Name:	H.jpg
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	4896687Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda-CX500-by-Docs-Chops-1.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	4896688Click image for larger version

Name:	jfkgPUOEv0PGpKETSqtzxTl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVaiQDB_Rd1H6kmuBWtceBJ.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	4896689
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad

Comment

subscribed.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

as big kev always says...i'm excited!

check out dime city cycles. and be prepared to damage your credit card!

Comment

fark I love cafe racers, just need to find one of my own to start with!

cant wait to see the end result

RR
          http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

Sub-fricking-scribed!

Comment

Top work Mate. Nice pick up.

I nearly bought another last week.

If you need any help or parts i have a few spare bits floating around.

good Luck!

cx500forum.com
              http://australiancx.asn.au/forum/

Good sources^
              Last edited by Brock32; 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

If it helps I would probably suggest a Shorai battery for that application. I almost went for the battery under the swingarm but instead opted for a simple box under the seat. Guess I could always change it if the whim took me!

Dime City have some cool stuff, as well as Modern Motorcycle Company in Collingwood. I've got stuff from here too: Motorcycle Parts & Accessories from Japan - Webike They sell Posh and Daytona parts. Good luck! Have fun.

Comment

Will be watching very keenly. I stripped a CX today and was going to start the build thread but met with the PCR crew instead. Will do it tomorrow. What sort of time are you allowing for this build?

We have a stack of parts if you need them.

If you're on facebook join Perth Cafe Racers, would love to have another CX custom in the group. Most if not all of the guys you cite as inspiration are members of PCR.

Himalayan Heroes W E B S I T E , F A C E B O O K

Perth Cafe Racers F A C E B O O K

Comment

those inspiration pics are well good eh,
                    All the best and join PCR!
                    never play leapfrog with a unicorn

Comment

Originally posted by Brock32 View Post
                      If you need any help or parts i have a few spare bits floating around.
                      cx500forum.com
                      Australian CX500 & CX650 RegisterGood sources^
                      Thanks mate! I've been lurking for some time on the CX500forum for a while and yes, definately a great source of information

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                      If it helps I would probably suggest a Shorai battery for that application. I almost went for the battery under the swingarm but instead opted for a simple box under the seat.Good luck! Have fun.
                      Cheers Jimmy, I'll be sure to look that battery up. I think the style of seating i'm going for will influence the positioning as there won't be a solo hump to reposition the battery but we'll see as it progresses.

Originally posted by Rex Havoc View Post
                      Will be watching very keenly. I stripped a CX today and was going to start the build thread but met with the PCR crew instead. Will do it tomorrow. What sort of time are you allowing for this build?
                      We have a stack of parts if you need them.
                      Was that the black one you had for sale a few weeks ago? I'm aiming to have it done by summer so I can enjoy it but all depends on what work is required once I strip it down to bare bones. I'm not in a hurry, just want it done right the first time around. Read the entertaining thread last night of Dodgey Sven's handy work on the CXforum and it just motivated me to get the build 100% right.

Thanks everyone and I'll be sure to look up the PCR page and hop onboard
                      Rest in Peace
                      Brother Ryad

Comment

Originally posted by irdizzle View Post
                        Was that the black one you had for sale a few weeks ago? I'm aiming to have it done by summer so I can enjoy it but all depends on what work is required once I strip it down to bare bones. I'm not in a hurry, just want it done right the first time around. Read the entertaining thread last night of Dodgey Sven's handy work on the CXforum and it just motivated me to get the build 100% right.

Thanks everyone and I'll be sure to look up the PCR page and hop onboard
                        Yeh, that's the one. A PSB member bought it and asked us to Cafe it for him. Got a link for Dodgey Sven, I couldn't find it.

Comment

so, i think i just got screwed, But then........ - Honda CX500 and GL500 Forum

The end result is magic though!! RDO tomorrow, teardown begins
                          Rest in Peace
                          Brother Ryad

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out Rex. My brother in law had a CX500 sport when they came out. Top heavy at a stand still but very easy to ride once going and a great feel to it to. Good luck
                            Oops thats hould have been irdizzle not Rex sorry for the confusion.
                            Last edited by Tbird tracker; 06-07-2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irdizzle View Post
                              so, i think i just got screwed, But then........ - Honda CX500 and GL500 Forum

The end result is magic though!! RDO tomorrow, teardown begins
                              Oh yeh, I've seen that. I thought you meant on the Aussie CX forum. My bad.

That CX is pretty special.

Comment

Working...
                              X